Amritsar and Punjab: left out of the New Silk road

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh

Amritsar, as you all know, was once a major city of the old Silk Road. A major international centre of industry and trade. But that's history.

Now lets look to the future: The Chinese are, as we speak, investing over a Trillion $ in what is the world's biggest ever infrastructure project that will deliver a power boost to trade and economic growth:  the New Silk Road (the belt and road initiative). All the other major cities of the old silk road are included. There's only one missing........Amritsar.  There's only one regional country refusing to get involved........India.  Didn't expect a common sense approach from India anyway but there are 3 things that worry me :

1) Why did Amritsar not push itself forward ?

2) Why did Punjab not push itself forward ?

3) Why do none of the pseudo-intellectual 'Punjabis' even seem aware of what is happening ?

• 2 weeks later...

OK.....to wake your sleeping minds let's try an entirely different approach:

Do you think India has made a terrible mistake by being the only country in the east (and central asia) that has refused to sign up to the biggest infrastructure project the world has ever seen (the belt and road initiative - the new silk route) ???

Has India's misguided notion of being a powerful equivalent competitor of China (i.e pride) allowed it to miss out on a humungous opportunity for trade and growth ?

truth is Sone ka chidiaa could be revived if old trade links revived but as GOI is on mission to destroy Punjab don't expect them to allow any CM to do deals , remember Canada fiasco

Amritsar can only push forward if it doesn't have lead weights such as Captain, SGPC in charge of being mouthpieces

You answered your own question they are pseudo intellectual.

As China expands towards Central Asia and beyond, the Chinese economy and specifically, Chinese manufacturing  stands to benefit greatly, at the expense of the other regional power (if you can call it that) - India. The last thing the Chinese want is for India to get a piece of the action, especially with lower labour costs that are a hallmark of the Indian economy. China wants to spread her tentacles into relatively untapped markets in Central Asia. 

The geopolitical dynamics these two regional beasts have created have ensured that neither one will act in the interests of the other. 

On 7/31/2018 at 10:21 AM, Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh said:

Amritsar, as you all know, was once a major city of the old Silk Road. A major international centre of industry and trade. But that's history.

Now lets look to the future: The Chinese are, as we speak, investing over a Trillion $ in what is the world's biggest ever infrastructure project that will deliver a power boost to trade and economic growth:  the New Silk Road (the belt and road initiative). All the other major cities of the old silk road are included. There's only one missing........Amritsar.  There's only one regional country refusing to get involved........India.  Didn't expect a common sense approach from India anyway but there are 3 things that worry me :

3) Why do none of the pseudo-intellectual 'Punjabis' even seem aware of what is happening ?

First of all you seem to have a very poor understanding of geo-politics.. Or what the Silk Road actually was.. It was actually a number of roads and a referred generically as a trade route.. The passage of the what was the silk road passed from China via Afghanistan through Iran and into Europe.. Indian trade routes variously fed into the routes like tributaries in to a river.. By the time amritsar was established as a major trading centre the Silk Road was being surpassed by sea routes and European traders who exported via the east India company .. Amritsar established itself as a major centre of commerce during the rule of maharaja ranjit singh.. Particularly as a centre of high quality shawls. 

5 minutes ago, DailyMail said:

As China expands towards Central Asia and beyond, the Chinese economy and specifically, Chinese manufacturing  stands to benefit greatly, at the expense of the other regional power (if you can call it that) - India. The last thing the Chinese want is for India to get a piece of the action, especially with lower labour costs that are a hallmark of the Indian economy. China wants to spread her tentacles into relatively untapped markets in Central Asia. 

The geopolitical dynamics these two regional beasts have created have ensured that neither one will act in the interests of the other. 

Absolutely also there are no easy routes into India coupled by the fact India and China have ongoing issues about borders so it is very sensitive to both countries. Developing major roads and trade routes would also mean that troops could easily be deployed in times of tension.. Both countries have a tacit agreement not to do that as it may be seen as a act of aggression and escalate 

Guest London jwaan

Well said daily mail. Why would China want India to benefit from their initiative at all? They are a hostile nation to India and an ally of Pakistan?

Jkv and jigsaw are you delusional?

9 hours ago, DailyMail said:

That may well be true but........with one of the Moderators here deliberately not posting up to 50% of my messages here on a wide range of subjects it's pointless me or you attempting to have a conversation about it. Lets just pretend none of this really happened and there is no Belt and Road Initiative. Let's not try having a discussion on a discussion forum.

On 8/9/2018 at 9:18 AM, Guest London jwaan said:

Well said daily mail. Why would China want India to benefit from their initiative at all? They are a hostile nation to India and an ally of Pakistan?

Jkv and jigsaw are you delusional?

First of all you seem to have a very poor understanding of geo-politics.. Or what the Silk Road actually was.. It was actually a number of roads and a referred generically as a trade route.. The passage of the what was the silk road passed from China via Afghanistan through Iran and into Europe.. Indian trade routes variously fed into the routes like tributaries in to a river.. By the time amritsar was established as a major trading centre the Silk Road was being surpassed by sea routes and European traders who exported via the east India company .. Amritsar established itself as a major centre of commerce during the rule of maharaja ranjit singh.. Particularly as a centre of high quality shawls.

It might be a good idea if some of you here took a little time to read up on what the Belt and Road initiative is and who has signed up for it (basically every regional nation except India). Otherwise, this conversation is going nowhere.

On 31 July 2018 at 12:21 PM, Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh said:

If you've read the news recently, there are concern over China militarising man made islands when they had promised not to under the last leaders reign. 

Theres been tension between the US and China. I would say that although I'm sure it would be great for trade and business, perhaps there may be a positive aspect of India and Punjab not being involved.  

I live in the Middle East and am truly horrified that just hours away from me in al,it's neighbouring countries, there is so much war, poverty and awful things occurring. The west has become incredibly complacent and I realise the need now to learn how to defend ourselves and to be prepared should anyone including our own governments turn on us- seemingly unlikely, but still possible.