How to prevent Diabetes

Big_Tera

It is well known that Asian people ie South Asians and blacks. Are at a greater risk of developing diabetes due to a combination of genetics, diet and lifestyles. 

Due to my limited knowledge I always presumed that consuming  excess sugar had nothing to do with it. Instead I was told that having a big waistline some how contributes and increases the risk and this was the main thing to avoid.  

As somone with alot of relatives with Diabetes has got me worried. 

Hence was now thinking of ways that prevent this disease from occurring in the first place. I read that avoiding sugar is a big step to reducing risk?

17 minutes ago, Big_Tera said:

It is well known that Asian people ie South Asians and blacks. Are at a greater risk of developing diabetes due to a combination of genetics, diet and lifestyles. 

Due to my limited knowledge I always presumed that consuming  excess sugar had nothing to do with it. Instead I was told that having a big waistline some how contributes and increases the risk and this was the main thing to avoid.  

As somone with alot of relatives with Diabetes has got me worried. 

Hence was now thinking of ways that prevent this disease from occurring in the first place. I read that avoiding sugar is a big step to reducing risk?

Look at the heath section of this site, you will easily find at least 1-2 threads there to help you to start with 

Some of it is down to physical activity. If you're eating 2500 calories a day but burning only 1500, you will gain weight. Increase in body fat leads to increased insulin resistance. 

Excessive carbohydrate intake over a prolonged period of time will also lead to insulin resistance. In both cases the body no longer responds to the insulin it produces. Blood glucose levels elevate and lead to complications of diabetes. 

Eat less (in general). Eat less sugars and starches. Avoid alcohol. Exercise and mobilise more. 

Some of it will be down to genetics. We are designed for a specific lifestyle and some groups are more metabolically efficient than others. Again that means you don't need to eat as much to produce the same amount of energy. 

Some of it will be down to programming in the womb. Your mother's condition during pregnancy will have programmed your body to react in a certain way to prepare for survival. 

So I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 back in March. Just kept being really thirsty and what not, diet has always been good - weight lifting and loads of cardio. So it came as a bit of a shock when my hbca was over 21 (for someone with controlled sugar it should be between 5.0 and 7.0).

Best thing to do is cut all sugar drinks out - stick to Zero or Diet (again in proportion).

The docs will say to cut yogurt, fried foods and ghee etc - its not about cutting it out completely its about controlling your intake.

Best things to do as said above :

1. Control Sugar Intake - do not cut completely

2. Control carbohydrate intake (roti, chawl, potatoes etc) replace with alternatives such as cauliflower rice , Quinoa, brown rice - always try and go for the whole-wheat option.

3. Physical exercise - I have a desk job so always try to get at least 10 - 15 k steps in a day. Weekends are easier as my little one is only 4 months so walking is always good.

Diabetes is all about control - not cutting out! Hope this helps 0- drop me a message if you want any other info :)

Daas Guru Sahib Ka

Gurvinder Singh

14 hours ago, singh598 said:

Cure for illness Baba Ji gave long time ago 

ALAP AHAAR, KANDAT NINDRA 

bro quote correctly please (unless you mixed accidently two seperate shabads : Khandit nindra alap aharan Nanak tat bicharo.  and

alap ahaar sulap si nindra daya chima tan preet )

remember that diabetes like many diseases has an origin in emotions and trauma , all cases that I have known have had extreme stress basis and then either a physical trauma like glandular fever /accident or emotional trauma such as breavement/job loss/marriage problems . Without an outlook steeped in gurmat it is easy to build up negative emotional stress and weaken the immune system.

diet wise if we have too much fat or dairy in diet it will keep blood sugar high and the body pumping out insulin making the body insulin resistant then diabetes type 2 is the next step . to reverse it is simple remove the fats, extra calories . We are not attending weddings everyday  so we shouldn't justify eating like we are feasting if we are just tootling around between house and work which is sedentary

Maintain a healthy weight, in relation to your height and age, through clean eating and exercising the body. Don't listen to the sloth-ridden contrarians who cling to the statistics of outliers in order to prop up their warped worldview on health.  For Sikhs with even the slightest inclination to wherever one happens to fall on the spectrum of spirituality this should be self explanatory. Moving around and eating only when necessary should be a prerequisite to a contented life.