Why the need to convert others ?

Guest jagsaw_puzzled_singh

On the main page of this very forum there are regular threads asking for the 'best ways to convert' others to Sikhism.  I read them, but of course I can't post in them, and I wait for someone to ask why we need to spend time and energy converting others. That alternative viewpoint never comes, hence this thread.

Now, it's really not that many years since I became a son of my Guru and since I have been every moment of my life has been spent trying to uplift myself to his standard. Trying to improve and cleanse my own mind, body, soul and actions. This is a never ending task and I really don't think the day will ever come when I will have achieved perfection and so can devote time and energy into 'converting' others. As long as those others are not doing truly hurtful things to humanity such as child abuse, murder, thieving etc I consider all of them decent human beings...or at least as decent as I am. So where does this need in some of you to convert others come from ?  We know Christians and Muslims actively try to convert Sikhs but that's because it's part of their religion to do so. When they do so I always think to myself how unloving these people must be that they seek to convert others instead of spending that time cleansing their own souls. Just because they do it - it doesn't mean we should do it too. Just because they do it - it doesn't mean its the right thing to do. My own personal view - and I maybe wrong about this - is that one who tries to conquer other souls surely has not yet conquered his own for once he conquers and then understands his own he begins to understand the love and goodness that permeates between all mankind and how the idea of conversion strategies themselves goes against this grain of goodness.  This is my view. Tell me yours ?

OK. With no responses, as usual, let's try a different approach (I'm getting used to this) in order to wake you up:  Sikhi is adavanced. Those others are not. Those others still work at ape primate levels. Our primate instincts as humans are to either fight, flee or convert. But Sikhi is beyond these primate levels. Sikhi is way beyond. Sikhi gives the opportunity to find the truth within. So why ignore that and go back to one of the basic ape-like primate levels ?

Guru Nanak Dev Ji went to various places on earth to spread the faith. Why should we continue not to do so.

No man can be compared to Guru ji. That's half the problem we have at the moment. We have tens of thousands thinking they have mastered themselves and are at the Guru level. No mere mortal should be even thinking about converting others until he has first mastered his own being. 

Conversions, my friend, by their very nature, come with very heavy baggage and should not be treated lightly. A by-product of any conversion - either to Sikhi or away from Sikhi - is family break-ups and marital problems, among others. The very desire to convert others does, in my opinion, emanate from a basic disapproval of the morality of others for no reason other than the fact that they belong to a different faith if one at all. 

Hindu troll suspected ! 

Wow, I've gone from muslim troll to hindu troll in world record speed. Someone needs to contact Limca.

7 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

I think you could be refering to one of my topics here. Let me explain. 

So if we believe something is good and will greatly help and be beneficial to a persons life.  Why not share it with the world? Is Sikhism a faith just for people who were lucky to be born into the faith and something to be kept private and not talk about it?

Guru Nanak Dev Ji went to various places on earth to spread the faith. Why should we continue not to do so. Also there is a big difference when Sikhs preech to the way muslims do. Sikhs rather teach about the Sikh faith and do not criticise other faiths. We mainly concentrate on our own faith. We do not say things like ' our faith is better then yours'. Or try and come up with arguement against their faith. We also do not pressurise anyone to convert. We just teach our faith and are happy wheather someone chooses to become a sikh, stay in their faith or even if they dont have a faith.With muslims its a self reward. Convert and you get extra wine and women in heaven. 

Muslims and christians as we all know use all kinds of underhanded methods. They pressurise and use false deception aswell as other underhanded tactics. 

Theres a big difference my friend, with the Sikh way of parchaar and the muslim and christian way. 

This is ridiculous.. Guru nanak never sought to convert anyone.. The idea proselytising and evangelising to convert people is anathema to a sikh..

The fact that a sikh acts truthfully and behaves truthfully is enough to make people ask deeper questions.. 

Guru tegh Bahadur gave his life in opposition to the idea of conversion.. Have some shame 

22 hours ago, Guest jagsaw_puzzled_singh said:

No man can be compared to Guru ji. That's half the problem we have at the moment. We have tens of thousands thinking they have mastered themselves and are at the Guru level. No mere mortal should be even thinking about converting others until he has first mastered his own being. 

Conversions, my friend, by their very nature, come with very heavy baggage and should not be treated lightly. A by-product of any conversion - either to Sikhi or away from Sikhi - is family break-ups and marital problems, among others. The very desire to convert others does, in my opinion, emanate from a basic disapproval of the morality of others for no reason other than the fact that they belong to a different faith if one at all. 

Wow, I've gone from muslim troll to hindu troll in world record speed. Someone needs to contact Limca.

youre not the only one theyve accused as trolls, because its a wierd view, but a just question you ask.

The answer, we dont need to convert anyone. The plant does not think to grow, it just does.