Is Gurbani, just poetry?

mahandulai

On Wednesday, September 05, 2018 at 12:07 PM, mahandulai said:

Is it alright to quote Gurbani to answer a question, I see scholars do it all the time, but these words can have different interpretations, and at the end of the day, its poetry, and is not a direct instruction, if you know what I mean?

Hi, 

I am no expert, but that much I can say,  the existence of diferent interpretations you mention, is true, but, that is because it all depends, on the purity within the persons.

Being learned, vidhvan, gyani, or a scholar, does not guarantee in any way , in understanding the Gurbani, in its real measure.

For Gurbani, is the language, the wsidom of Wahiguru Akal Purukh Himself, through Guru Sahiban.

I would say, almost none of us can fully understand the depth, the beauty, the value of Gurbani, then too, it all depends on His kirpa.

The Sun shines at its fullest, but its rays, its refulgence, its light,  enters through the window into the room in bigger measure, depending on how much clean are the windows, the more they are cleaner, more the light enters through that window.

Less dirt(karmas, vikars, manmukhta), more Light(tat gyan, capacity of understanding); on the contrary, more dirt, less Light.

Intellectually/academically, we can be more sharper, but spiritual wise, purity in thought, word and action, are of vital importance, in the understanding of Gurbani.

Understanding of the Bani in the correct sense, comes also, by doing His bhakti with intense devotion, for that by itself is a real purifier of the jeeva/soul.

Some may say, the company of the beloved ones  or real lovers of Wahiguru, is  also very  helpful to understand Gurbani, but, then also, we need purity, not otherwise.

Purity can be got : by humility, sewa, goodness at heart for all, morality, and above all, deep faith and love for His Lotus Feet, as said above, through His bhakti. 

Stay blessed.

Sat Sree Akal.