Perception and the Psychology of the Turban

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh

"it is impossible to wear any garment without transmitting social signals. Every costume tells a story, often a very subtle one, about its wearer" - Desmond Morris

Yesterday, I posted a new thread here on this forum. Don't go looking for it because you won't find it. The MODS haven't allowed you to read it. Either they think you're not intelligent enough to understand it and where I was going with it or they themselves were not. Nobody can say for sure. Although my money's on the Mods.The object of that thread that never came to fruit was to challenge our perceptions and how race and class plays a big part in the process. It was actually a very funny piece - it was making me laugh even as i was writing it - and it was about the news yesterday about 2 groups of Surgeons and Consultants at a London hospital continuously fighting with each other, putting patients at risk.  In yesterday's piece I tried to demonstrate in a humorous way the distinction between how these 2 'gangs' were perceived by the public and how working class 'gangs', often black or brown,  in the same area were perceived. (note: the working class 'gangs' in question had been responsible for a couple of deaths whereas investigators say the 2 surgeon gangs could have the blood of over a hundred people on their hands). Perception and psychology then....its everywhere. Having just finished the summer music festival season we see that, each year, the 'white' festivals are full to the brim with drugs with young people regularly dying of overdoses and yet it is the black man's carnival that must be banned because of drugs (weed) and loud music. We hear no mention of the racist music of the far-right and yet the Met police actively announce a crackdown and ban on black music (drill). Perception...its everywhere, not least in the garments we wear. In the 1950's we had the Zoot suit riots in America after American police regularly brutalised and arrested all brown youths wearing zoot suits for no reason other than the fact that they were brown whilst wearing a zoot suit. The perception was that to be brown and in a smart zoot suit you just had to be up to no good. In my own family, nobody had kept their kes and wore a pagh for at least 3 generations until I did. And when i did, perceptions about me changed and the psychology behind those perceptions depended almost entirely upon the race / creed of the perceptor. White people started seeing me as ultra-religious and pious...and even a well of knowledge. Most Punjabis however detest the image and saw it as a sign of uneducated backwardness. Those contrasts are just so extreme. The fact that this turban on my head sets of an instant judgement reaction in people's minds - both super negative and super positive - depending on the racial background of the person that sees me. It's natural...and it's all good. I do it too...when I see a white man in a turban. He might be a train driver or labourer but my misguided perception is nearly always that he could teach me a thing or two about healthy living and yoga. And thats the thing about wearing the turban. There are so many instant perceptions about you that you sometimes almost feel that you should live up to them. You start thinking to yourself "well if all those white people think I must be a fountain of wisdom maybe i should live up to that positive perception". Their psychology starts to affect your psychology. Inexplicably, you start to alter your psyche just so that you can live up to the race based stereotype notions formed in the minds of people who didn't even know their perceptions were based on racial ignorance. Of course its absurd. But life is absurd. This turban on my head has closed a few pointless doors but it's opened a hellava lot more doors....doors that actually lead to somewhere. And thats just one of the stories that this 'garment' of head has to tell. tell me yours......

6 hours ago, Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh said:

"it is impossible to wear any garment without transmitting social signals. Every costume tells a story, often a very subtle one, about its wearer" - Desmond Morris

Yesterday, I posted a new thread here on this forum. Don't go looking for it because you won't find it. The MODS haven't allowed you to read it. Either they think you're not intelligent enough to understand it and where I was going with it or they themselves were not. Nobody can say for sure. Although my money's on the Mods.The object of that thread that never came to fruit was to challenge our perceptions and how race and class plays a big part in the process. It was actually a very funny piece - it was making me laugh even as i was writing it - and it was about the news yesterday about 2 groups of Surgeons and Consultants at a London hospital continuously fighting with each other, putting patients at risk.  In yesterday's piece I tried to demonstrate in a humorous way the distinction between how these 2 'gangs' were perceived by the public and how working class 'gangs', often black or brown,  in the same area were perceived. (note: the working class 'gangs' in question had been responsible for a couple of deaths whereas investigators say the 2 surgeon gangs could have the blood of over a hundred people on their hands). Perception and psychology then....its everywhere. Having just finished the summer music festival season we see that, each year, the 'white' festivals are full to the brim with drugs with young people regularly dying of overdoses and yet it is the black man's carnival that must be banned because of drugs (weed) and loud music. We hear no mention of the racist music of the far-right and yet the Met police actively announce a crackdown and ban on black music (drill). Perception...its everywhere, not least in the garments we wear. In the 1950's we had the Zoot suit riots in America after American police regularly brutalised and arrested all brown youths wearing zoot suits for no reason other than the fact that they were brown whilst wearing a zoot suit. The perception was that to be brown and in a smart zoot suit you just had to be up to no good. In my own family, nobody had kept their kes and wore a pagh for at least 3 generations until I did. And when i did, perceptions about me changed and the psychology behind those perceptions depended almost entirely upon the race / creed of the perceptor. White people started seeing me as ultra-religious and pious...and even a well of knowledge. Most Punjabis however detest the image and saw it as a sign of uneducated backwardness. Those contrasts are just so extreme. The fact that this turban on my head sets of an instant judgement reaction in people's minds - both super negative and super positive - depending on the racial background of the person that sees me. It's natural...and it's all good. I do it too...when I see a white man in a turban. He might be a train driver or labourer but my misguided perception is nearly always that he could teach me a thing or two about healthy living and yoga. And thats the thing about wearing the turban. There are so many instant perceptions about you that you sometimes almost feel that you should live up to them. You start thinking to yourself "well if all those white people think I must be a fountain of wisdom maybe i should live up to that positive perception". Their psychology starts to affect your psychology. Inexplicably, you start to alter your psyche just so that you can live up to the race based stereotype notions formed in the minds of people who didn't even know their perceptions were based on racial ignorance. Of course its absurd. But life is absurd. This turban on my head has closed a few pointless doors but it's opened a hellava lot more doors....doors that actually lead to somewhere. And thats just one of the stories that this 'garment' of head has to tell. tell me yours......

Jagsaw, interesting, the psychology of the turban. As someone such as yourself with a interest and deeper understanding of these issues.  Especially as your somone who is new to the turban. You can see it from both sides. The side of a mona and the side of a turban wearer and the difference it makes in your life. Such as how people perceive and behave towards you with or without it. 

Do you think you have better moral principles and a better person because you wear a turban? Do you feel the turban has changed you into a better person? Not just the turban but the beard also. Do you feel that people expect you to behave better, act a certain way and above all look up to you as a man of faith. Does it make you feel special and better then other monas. 

Subsequently do you feel that you are better then a someone who doesnt wear a turban as has a beard and that you feel superior to them? Is it a mask to hide behind and disguise your insecurities? Have you lost your real identity of who you really are? 

Very interesting. I used be mona but started wearing patka and stopped cutting my hair over 2 yrs ago, so i can kind of relate. Your behavior does change.You also know that every person you walk past knows what background you are from, thats something that i never even used to think about when i was mona. Your more careful about what your doing. It actually does change you now that im thinking about it. When in public you don't want to let other Sikhs down by doing something that they will not approve off, not that i do anything wrong, but you do become more aware of how other Sikhs might perceive you or what they might be thinking of you.

Like just today at work i was talking to this hijab wearing paki girl at work, and i basically said to her that i hadn't seen her for a couple of days and where she been, we then started talking, giggling etc, then i saw these 2 punjabi aunties looking at me and from what i saw they looked quite disappointed! i then stopped talking to her and walked off lol! it just didn't feel right, maybe i just over react!   But when i was mona and working at a massive retail store on oxford street, Iv had girls slap my bum, talked about dirty stuff in front of customers, I once was laughing so hard with this black girl that i was on the floor front of like 30 customers staring at me! but i just didn't care tbh!    but now i would NEVER do any of that. 

When i was mona i used to drink alcohol but whenever i used to buy it from the shop i used to cover my kara because i didn't want anyone to know Im Sikh, i looked like a mirpuri paki anyway when i was mona lol!  And now that I keep my hair, Whenever i go shopping with my dad,who drinks alcohol, whenever he goes into the alcohol aisle, i become really tensed and start looking around to see if some Singh is nearby who might see me standing in the alcohol isle lol!  i really don't want to disappoint anyone ... 

But yeah    you do change ...

12 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

Jagsaw, interesting, the psychology of the turban. As someone such as yourself with a interest and deeper understanding of these issues.  Especially as your somone who is new to the turban. You can see it from both sides. The side of a mona and the side of a turban wearer and the difference it makes in your life. Such as how people perceive and behave towards you with or without it. 

Do you think you have better moral principles and a better person because you wear a turban? Do you feel the turban has changed you into a better person? Not just the turban but the beard also. Do you feel that people expect you to behave better, act a certain way and above all look up to you as a man of faith. Does it make you feel special and better then other monas. 

Subsequently do you feel that you are better then a someone who doesnt wear a turban as has a beard and that you feel superior to them? Is it a mask to hide behind and disguise your insecurities? Have you lost your real identity of who you really are? 

No, the complete opposite bigtera. Going from being mona to being kesdari and having a father and entire extended family who are monas I know that they are good, honest hard-working people. I would never in my wildest dreams put them down as they deserve the upmost respect. They are not religious and so just get on with their lives of working hard and raising good families. They don't interfere in Sikhi business as they have no right to tell a kesdari what and how he should be feeling.  That's one of the reasons I strongly disagree with kesdaris telling monas how to think and behave, None of us have any right to do that. Having been part of both camps I can honestly hold my hands up and say that statistically there is more morality on the mona side than there is on the kesdari side.

So, in answer to the main crux of your message, when it comes to the psychology behind people like me (monas who become kesdari in adult life) we have to understand and appreciate that we are all individuals and there is no one size fits all. Some become kesdari because they are drawn to the idea of the sangat......community....sitting with the sangat and feeling part of a community. Some do it because they have notions in their heads about being warriors. Others do it because their dads and grand-fathers did it. Others, like we see with some nangs in the UK do it because it provides them an excuse to take drugs. Some are doing it because it seems like a good business opportunity to make some big money through preaching.Others, like me, did it for deeply spiritual and idealistic reasons and subsequently find the 'sangat' to be a particular problem area as they generally do not live up to the ideals I hoped for. That's why, in my other thread about conversions, I stated how important it is to understand that Sikhi should not be rammed down people's throats because everyone is different with a different psyche, and for some Sikhi may not be the right answer at all.

Do you feel the turban has changed you into a better person? Not just the turban but the beard also.

Not in isolation, no. But you need to understand that absolutely nothing happens without unseen external forces making them happen....be they environmental, social or from a higher source. You know, in the Jewish scriptures it says that when a man looks in the mirror and sees himself with a turban and beard he sees a mirror image of his soul.A mirror image of the dwelling of waheguru. On a psychological level that must force him to re-evaluate his life. Re-evaluate his relationship with other souls and nature. Re-evaluate how he interacts with others. Re-evaluate his responsibilities to society and the earth. But like I said not everybody with a turban and beard looks in the mirror and sees that same thing. Some simply see it as a cultural thing...others as a money making opportunity and others as an excuse to put down other souls and faiths. Therefore, you will get a hundred different answers from a hundred different mona to kesdari Sikhs if you asked them the same question.

23 hours ago, Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh said:

this is sick

you should post more

I wonder if JagsawSingh can comment on this topic: 

Please explain why Hardeep is behaving the way he does using your psychological analysis.

Hardeep Kohli's a great example of the psychology of the turban. There's 2 things that everyone knows about him:

1) He's a complete and utter knob

2) He wears a turban.

and there is one known truth about our psychology when we see him, i.e when we see his turban we have much gnashing of the teeth because of what he gets up to. 

You know, years ago, during the first Gulf war, the American Secretary of State for defence said something that was widely ridiculed as nonsense, especially by the British. He said there are known unknowns and there are unknown unknowns. To me that is a beautifully enlightened and profound statement to make and very apt when it comes to the issue of Hardeep Singh Kohl because it unknown why he still wears a turban when he clearly does not practice the virtues that come with it. In a previous message on this thread a day or so ago I gave a small list of why some monas become kesdari (the Mods still haven't posted that message up as I write this so I'm not sure any of this will make much sense) but in it I said some might wear a pagh because the're expected to in their family and some might wear it because it makes them money. The truth behind Hardeep Kohli's reasoning is an known unknown. We know he has no talent whatsoever and we know he has an inherent need to attract attention. In that respect one might suspect that he wears the turban because it provides him with a means of living in that it gets him booked onto TV shows. Without the turban he is absolutely nothing.  Who knows ? It may perhaps be that it was his mother's dying wish that he did so and he doesn't want to break that promise. Who knows ? What we do know is that he makes a good living because TV executives see the turban on his head and book him and WE see the turban on his head and get vexed.

it is impossible to wear any garment without transmitting social signals. Every costume tells a story........But the most powerful one of all, one that stirs the most emotions and has the most stories to tell....is the turban.

Nothing, my friend, is simple. Nothing is black and white. We actually know truly very little. We know that channel 5's big brother programme is made for the viewing of chavs and illiterates so why are turban wearing sikhs here even watching that rubbish and then talking about ?  We know that dumb blonde models on Instagram and facebook have nothing intelligent to offer and so just keep posting selfie after selfie with their tops off. Young girls say but we like the sexy bodies and we say you shouldn't objectify yourself like that and they say "yeah but...no but...like...it's like, soooo cool"   And yet the Sikh world is proclaiming this man (shredded singh) an inspirational turban wearing Singh when his one and only talent is to do exactly the same thing that the dumb glamour models do and post picture after picture after picture after picture of himself semi-naked. He's even more prolific at taking his top off and taking a selfie than Katie Price. See how powerfull the turban is bigtera?  It is so powerful that it can make us totally ignore or just plain not see the plain bimbo dumbness of the man wearing it.

https://www.instagram.com/shredded.singh/?hl=en

• 2 months later...

Re: the 'British Cruelty in India' thread that has now moved from the Anonymous page to to the main page:

GurjantGnostic asked me the following:

I'm no expert on Colonial tactics, but in the Americas, Indian populations were most destroyed by the English, the French impacted First Nations People far less, and the Spanish, despite their outright version of genocide,  seem to have impacted indigenous numbers the least. 

What about the French make you think they would have had worse effect?

Good questions Gurjant. Please note though....now that the Mods have moved the thread from the Anonymous page to the main page I can't actually answer any questions put to me on those threads so have had to pick this random thread to an answer hoping it might somehow find its way to you.

Now.....the answer to your question really lies in the continent of Africa, i.e. the state and development of former British colonies vs former French colonies. Whilst the past decade or so has seen many former French colonies wishing to leave the francophone group and join instead the British Commonwealth the classic example would of course be Cameroon which, after Germany was stripped of it, was divided up between Britain and France. It's most telling how the French administered half remains to this day the most backward, totally lacking in any infrastructure. The French did this in all of their African and south east  asian colonies....i.e. totally strip the nations of everything and invest nothing. Nothing but values. Not normal virteous values. French Napoleonic values.

Now...as a former reader of Law my natural instinct is to focus on the legal systems of the two colonial powers and understand how those systems shape the way a country is governed. As America, Canada, Australia and India etc all use the English Common law system I know I don't need to spend too much time explaining it as you and everyone here is well aware of how it works but in terms of governance in outposts the system ensures there is indirect rule in the sense that although ultimate power lay in London the colonised nations themselves were run by local elites thus ensuring there was investment in local infrastructure and local customs (including religion) were understood and respected. It's all about doing business and international trade.

France, on the other hand, uses as it's legal system what we in Europe know today as the european civil law system but I like to call Napoleonic Law. The bureaucratic nature of this legal system ensures that there will be direct rule from Paris, i.e. a French bureaucrat sitting in his Paris office decides where to invest (for example Lyon or Kinshasa) and from his Paris office imposes the French culture on the colony with total disregard to local languages, faiths and cultures.  It's all about the glory of the French Republic....it's language and culture.

So....the legacy of what France and Britain have left behind in their former colonies tells us all we need to know about how things would now be had we been colonised by France  (and, let's not forget, with the Sikh Kingdom of Punjab's extremely close relationship with France we were already part of the French sphere of influence and thus just one step from becoming a colony whilst India proper remained British). Had it been the French instead of Britain, we would be practicisng a Sikhi-Catholicism version of Christianity and we would be poor. Dirt poor. No roads, no railways, no bridges, no nothing. Dirt poor.

GurjantGnostic, Did you manage to to read my answer to the question you asked me on the main thread ? If you didn't know where it was it's right there ^ ...above this message. Sorry my answers to questions put to me have to be hidden away on obscure random threads but...thats just the way it is :(

Now, just a little something on a subject being discussed on the main page regarding the 'NKJ Protests'

Not gonna weigh in on the merits of both sides here because it's pretty clear that I have serious issues with the morality of NKJ in the sense that I see them as using Sikhi as a business opportunity to get seriously rich and am also ideologically opposed to the leadership of the Taksal. What I want to do is draw attention to some of the points being made on that thread, and subsequent Sikh news reports, about 'protests' in general.....i.e. the way some of you are saying the civilised way is to negotiate and talk rather than protest.  I know there are some here that get extremely vexed everytime I talk about 'history' (I'm looking at you MisterSingh :) ) but I think it's important that we all discard for one moment our UK, Canada and America learned notions of how arguments, points and protests should be made and understand the historical / cultural differences.  Before I do that however, let me state categorically that protesters cannot and should not be blamed for the fact that dozens of police appeared and remained before Guru ji in the diwan hall with their heads uncovered and boots on their feet. They didn't ask them to come there.....some others did. Once they were there....that should have been something that united everyone in that Gurdwara that day. Everyone there should have united in telling the Police that they MUST cover their heads and take off their boots. All sides present failed in their duty in that respect.

Now....'protests' have been on my mind the last few days given what is happening in France. This French culture of protest can really be traced back to the 17th century when the culture of 'charivari' started. It started as a culture of mobs forming to protest against the moral transgressions of people....such as extra-marital affairs. Soon, as time went on and ideas of morality changed, it took on a more political dimension. There developed a culture of protest and the idea of the protest was to create enough disruption that their voice would have to be heard. This is very different to the anglo culture of the UK, Canada and America where the culture is to talk and negotiate and only as a last result protest if negotiations fail. And then you have in France the reality that only a very very tiny percentage of the French actually belong to a Union - much smaller than the UK and America etc. What this means is that employers in Anglo countries start negotiating with workers by making a quite reasonable offer and this fosters a negotiating atmosphere. In France that is not the case. In France the employers always make a ridiculous offer to begin with and so the accepted culture is mass protests before the thought of negotiating can even begin. I'm mentioning this because we need to understand our own collective psyche and culture - formulated through history - when it comes to the subject of protesting. Within our collective social history as Punjabi Sikhs there is nothing that points to a 'negotiate first - protest after' culture. That has never been our collective experience. Our collective cultural history, just like the French, has always been to protest...i.e make a forceful visual point first before the idea of negotiating or talking can even be considered. It's who we are. And who we are has been created by history and experiences. So by all means have discussions about the merits and shortcomings of NKJ (AKJ) and the Taksalis but please don't enforce Anglo concepts and values of how to protest upon Sikhs. Values and concepts are made by history. We have our own history.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:31 PM, Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh said:

waffling

seriously how is anyone meant to read this