What is the purpose of long hair?

mahandulai

Guest AjeetSinghPunjabi
56 minutes ago, puzzled said:

I think in the past all the rishis, sadhus etc used to keep long hair and dhari. Some of the devte are described with long hair like Ram  

thats true but the question still remains unanswered. 

The typical sikh answer is "Kes is guru ki mohr" which is actually a wrapper around  something very profound instead.

I was told that with complete unalterated rom  naam jap hits an even more intense level as hinted in Gurbani

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰੁ ਪਰਮ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਵੈ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਾਚਿ ਸਮਾਵੈ ॥੨੭॥
Gurmukẖ paviṯar param paḏ pāvai. Gurmukẖ rom rom har ḏẖi­āvai. Nānak gurmukẖ sācẖ samāvai.(27)
The Gurmukh attains the supreme, sanctified status.

The Gurmukh meditates on the Lord with every hair of his body.
O Nanak, the Gurmukh merges in Truth.(27)

Everywhere Waheguru ji is  so all places of His presence are suhave (blessed):

ਅੰਦਰੁ ਵਿਧਾ ਸਚਿ ਨਾਇ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ਡਿਠੋਮਿ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਰਵਿਆ ਹਭ ਥਾਇ ਵਣਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਣਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣਿ ਰੋਮਿ ॥੨॥
Anḏar viḏẖā sacẖ nā­ė bāhar bẖī sacẖ diṯẖom. Nānak ravi­ā habẖ thā­ė vaṇ ṯariṇ ṯaribẖavaṇ rom. (2)
The True Name has pierced the nucleus of my self deep within. Outside, I see the True Lord as well.

O Nanak, He is pervading and permeating all places, the forests and the meadows, the three worlds, and every hair. (2)

In terms of ability to experience the subtle energies around us uncut hair helps , this is a truth experienced by tribal Indians in the Americas and when they were forced to serve the US army with cut hair they lost this ability.

When I was 16 I cut my Kesha and very quickly grew it back.  Then when I was 30 years of age again I cut it.  IMHO What I've learnt is that Kesha gives you health and strength but more importantly it is the root of dharma 

Killing kesh is the root for manmukh ways, kesh makes you into Guru Swaroop 

Also we have a subtle body that is sometimes felt by the physical body.  When we see ourselves as mona we cannot connect with Sikhism 

That's why Guru Ji said kesh is my stamp

On 9/8/2018 at 3:43 PM, jkvlondon said:

I was told that with complete unalterated rom  naam jap hits an even more intense level as hinted in Gurbani

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰੁ ਪਰਮ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਵੈ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਾਚਿ ਸਮਾਵੈ ॥੨੭॥
Gurmukẖ paviṯar param paḏ pāvai. Gurmukẖ rom rom har ḏẖi­āvai. Nānak gurmukẖ sācẖ samāvai.(27)
The Gurmukh attains the supreme, sanctified status.

The Gurmukh meditates on the Lord with every hair of his body.
O Nanak, the Gurmukh merges in Truth.(27)

Everywhere Waheguru ji is  so all places of His presence are suhave (blessed):

ਅੰਦਰੁ ਵਿਧਾ ਸਚਿ ਨਾਇ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ਡਿਠੋਮਿ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਰਵਿਆ ਹਭ ਥਾਇ ਵਣਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਣਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣਿ ਰੋਮਿ ॥੨॥
Anḏar viḏẖā sacẖ nā­ė bāhar bẖī sacẖ diṯẖom. Nānak ravi­ā habẖ thā­ė vaṇ ṯariṇ ṯaribẖavaṇ rom. (2)
The True Name has pierced the nucleus of my self deep within. Outside, I see the True Lord as well.

O Nanak, He is pervading and permeating all places, the forests and the meadows, the three worlds, and every hair. (2)

In terms of ability to experience the subtle energies around us uncut hair helps , this is a truth experienced by tribal Indians in the Americas and when they were forced to serve the US army with cut hair they lost this ability.

ahhh so what your saying is.. dont say "keep hair"

but instead say "leave everything alone"

On 9/8/2018 at 1:41 PM, puzzled said:

doesn't really answer your question but i like how he explains it from his own point of view 

if anything he said, 'we keep it cause the powerful did'.

this is some mad imitation, and is like saying, to be rich and powerful like trump, we must be fat and talk loud. - which then again is partly right, i guess.