Hum rulte firte koi baat na puchta - Bhai Manpreet Singh ji Kanpuri

SinghG

Gurbani is on the internet.  Just as these youth access Instagram, facebook, Snapchat, Twitter and other social media sites and apps they can access Gurbani online and offline.  But they are occupied with taking photos of themselves and all the trips they go on.  I can make up stories of other youth asking why don't certain old people pick up another hobby and stop trying to change Sikhi to what they are only capable of accomplishing.  

If you have a problem with certain kathavachaks.  Then approach them and see what kind of response you get.  I have no issue doing it.  

The youth asked a question to a person who he picked up was not listening to the Guru.  Any Gurmukh would have told him, the Guru not having any emotion at the lose of his sons was the foundation that gave you the freedom to ask such questions.  If it was not for this father, today your name would have been kafir  or Mohammed and you would be bowing to a black rock, while married to your cousin.

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

That was exactly my response. 

I just think younger generations and even some of the people of my age bracket who haven't been exposed to that uniquely stoic yet even-handed brand of Sikh spirituality find it difficult to wrap their heads around certain apparently paradoxical concepts and remarkable individuals in our history, especially for those of our people who've been raised on a steady diet of Hollywood-ised emotional indulgence. There's a blurring between fiction and reality AND a further step beyond of the blurring between the former and our particular ways and history, which seems to make some of our own almost incredulous at what they're being asked to digest.

But, as I said, the "superhero mythologising" by our parchaaraks and other people with a voice in the panth, is not helping matters at all. There's ways of inspiring awe and reverence by emphasising the divinity of Sikh personalities without utterly killing any human angle of personal interest. Without wishing to offend anyone, third-worlders might be impressed and cowed by such descriptions of untouchable brilliance, but for slightly more sophisticated and deep thinking westerners who want to FEEL a genuine connection, these types of potential believers are being done a huge disservice, and actually it's causing people to switch off and turn away, especially when they're initially told certain things to get them through the "turnstiles" that Sikhi is unlike the other faiths. 

They were superhuman  no doubt, but their life was about enveloping each us in that Paramatma's unyielding love and understanding , to put balm of naam on our hurting souls , help us to see the world with their eyes , giving the courage of meeting the state of things as they  stand and confronting the wrongs and bringing blance and freedom to those trapped ...

I'm sure guru ji was upset when the sahibzade and other singhs were killed, he was their father so why would he be emotionless! The gurus themselves were love! So why wouldn't they feel hurt when a loved one was killed?

Zafarnamah imo is full of a lot of emotion! 

Maybe I'm wrong ...

2 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

They were superhuman  no doubt, but their life was about enveloping each us in that Paramatma's unyielding love and understanding , to put balm of naam on our hurting souls , help us to see the world with their eyes , giving the courage of meeting the state of things as they  stand and confronting the wrongs and bringing blance and freedom to those trapped ...

Yet, they also refused to indulge in flagrant and egoistic displays of their abilities to prove their divine credentials BUT when the moment required such actions they weren't averse to showing their hand, as it were. Again, it's that fine, knife-edged difference that some people struggle with, especially when they enter into a discussion where there's a desire for a binary / black & white response to their questions. 

There's a temptation to take a hard-line approach with such people, and dumb everything down to the point of, "Believe or be damned," but I think that would be an unwise strategy considering these people aren't mischievous Muslims or people of other faiths trying to undermine Sikhi while elevating their own faith, but are actually our own brothers and sisters. We don't have the luxury of being so comfortably careless with the manner in which we do vichaar among ourselves.

23 hours ago, puzzled said:

I'm sure guru ji was upset when the sahibzade and other singhs were killed, he was their father so why would he be emotionless! The gurus themselves were love! So why wouldn't they feel hurt when a loved one was killed?

Zafarnamah imo is full of a lot of emotion! 

Maybe I'm wrong ...

I think ur right. But its important to distinguish between pyaar and moh. When its moh, theres always the mine in it. I love you because ur my son. I think panjabi parents are always using moh. Their love is conditional and they r trying to mold u into wat they want. And they want to posess u and keep u. 

While love is more, just appreciating and enjoying someones presence. For the time you have with them without conditions. When Sahibzada Jujhar Singh wanted to go fight in battle. No punjabi parent wouldve let them go. Even if the child wanted to.  Even if not fighting wouldve let the child be captured.  So real love is looking beyond their relationship.to you..

Even my little brother asked, did Guruji really like his sons. After watching the 3D sahibzade movie. Because in it they show guru ji as a picture with a frozen face all.throughout the movie. And i had to show him the part in the movie which shows guruji hugging the sahibzade. (With the same frozen expression tho.) 

But u just have to look at how the gurus family was treated. They lived in splendor and were treated reverentially. At this most sikhs would say that Guruji did "love" them and if there was no shaheedi that guruji indulged and spoiled them.see but when time came for hardship, allowing is family to undergo hardship.is not love. Tho i think it is. As it allows them to choose and be leaders and participate in a challenge.

I think this debate of whether the gurus felt pain and emotion is complicated. They did but they knew there was something higher and better. And we can know this too and conquer pain. Ofc theres parchaariks who say that Bhai mati daas ji being cut into pieces didnt feel anything because he could leave his body and was a brahmgiani. But i think.its because the parchaarik thinks the pain is unbearable. That if it was felt, no way could it be borne. That just shows his limit.