Jump to content

Guest Backchat

Recommended Posts

Guest Backchat

Hello I was wondering if anyone could tell me or where I can read what ever happened to Mangla (Mangula) after her time in the Royal Court of Lahore? Mangla was the slave and personal confidant of Jind Kaur, mother of Maharaja Duleep Singh and seems to have disappeared from history.
Thankyou!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

those that chose not do sati were imprisoned , had their jewellery stolen 'gifted' if you are a royalist   and generally lived in a much demoted way .

So they were just left with nothing and forgotten. Really tragic, from queens of punjab to prisoners in rags.  I'm guessing the same happened with all the sardars of the court.

I read an account of how jind kaur was dragged on the floor out of Lahore by her hair by the british when they took over. Moran didn't do sati so I guess she was imprisoned.

Just imagine how lost and lonely all these people must of felt after they lost everything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, puzzled said:

So they were just left with nothing and forgotten. Really tragic, from queens of punjab to prisoners in rags.  I'm guessing the same happened with all the sardars of the court.

I read an account of how jind kaur was dragged on the floor out of Lahore by her hair by the british when they took over. Moran didn't do sati so I guess she was imprisoned.

Just imagine how lost and lonely all these people must of felt after they lost everything. 

some of the trusted Singhs of Rani JInd Kaur were assasinated  and all the akalis were under attack constantly a law being drawn against them much like the laws against the samurai in Japan when the gorey reached there , and the hunting down of the Boxers of boxer revolution fame (BTW the sikhs were the warriors of choice against them )

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe some of his wives went back to their parents houses? Most of them were from wealthy families anyway. He had a few Rajput wives too. His sikh wives were from wealthy backgrounds.  Well I hope some of them had it easy 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jkvlondon said:

some of the trusted Singhs of Rani JInd Kaur were assasinated  and all the akalis were under attack constantly a law being drawn against them much like the laws against the samurai in Japan when the gorey reached there .

That's sad 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this on Moran 

 

"After the death of Maharajah Ranjit Singh Moran moved from the Lahore Fort to her house in Bazaar Chowk Chakkla, and became a very religious woman. Post the death of Maharaja she spent most of her time and money trying to set up Persian and Punjabi language schools. Historic accounts state that she passed away somewhere in 1862 and was buried in the Miani Sahib Graveyard. Her grave location has been a mystery whereas many people claim that they found her grave"

Published in Daily Times, June 10th2018.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, puzzled said:

i wonder what happened to maharaja ranjit singhs wives once the empire fell. Some people just disappear from history.  what happened with moran? 

Moran lived some years after and she used some of her wealth from Maharaja to build a mosque in Lahore. She also adopted a son later in life.

 

26 minutes ago, puzzled said:

So they were just left with nothing and forgotten. Really tragic, from queens of punjab to prisoners in rags.  I'm guessing the same happened with all the sardars of the court.

I read an account of how jind kaur was dragged on the floor out of Lahore by her hair by the british when they took over. Moran didn't do sati so I guess she was imprisoned.

Just imagine how lost and lonely all these people must of felt after they lost everything. 

What is the source of that?

From my recollection she was imprisoned in the Lahore Fort, then sent to Sheikhupura Qila for some time, before banishment from Panjab after 1849 war.

 

2 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Found this on Moran 

 

"After the death of Maharajah Ranjit Singh Moran moved from the Lahore Fort to her house in Bazaar Chowk Chakkla, and became a very religious woman. Post the death of Maharaja she spent most of her time and money trying to set up Persian and Punjabi language schools. Historic accounts state that she passed away somewhere in 1862 and was buried in the Miani Sahib Graveyard. Her grave location has been a mystery whereas many people claim that they found her grave"

Published in Daily Times, June 10th2018.

Interesting. Can you provide a link for that please?

I have never heard of her becoming a religious person, even though she built a mosque. Personally, it felt like she was performing an act of charity to help her when she fell from this earth.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, GuestSingh said:

Oh this is a cool article.  Punjabi women have so much to be proud of in Sikhi, it's too bad ones that aren't jott or dalit apostate at such high rates. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use