Giani Gian Singh - Twarikh Guru Khalsa extract (translation by me and Bhagat Singh)

I recently stumbled across this translation me and Bhagat Singh (the artist) worked on a good few years ago. It's from Giani Gian Singh's Twarikh Guru Khalsa. Niddar Singh put a smaller extract of this out, which brought it to the wider sangat's attention - including me (and no, I have no connection to him before anyone asks). 

The translation is rough as heck and me and Bhagat didn't agree on bits, so I take the responsibility of any flaws. I'll give page references to the original work later, and I hope to write up a little commentary on it some time and maybe even translate a few more paragraphs. 

Giani Gian Singh's (1822-1921) work is very important in my opinion because he actually lived through the latter part of the SIkh empire  and was closely connected with the ruling sardars but he also witnessed the annexation and subsequent colonisation of Panjab. What's even more interesting (in my opinion) is that he writes from outside of the British patronised Singh Sabha movement that came to dominate Sikh minds. So what we have here is an independent minded Singh writing in a period when most of the literature being produced was compromised by political concessions to foreign rulers. I think you can sense this in this extract. 

ਪਿੱਛੇ ਦਿਖਾਏ ਇਲਮਾਂ, ਹੁਨਰਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਬਨਾਵਟ ਸਮਝਣ ਵਾਲਿਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਅਸੀਂ ਅਪਣੇ ਨੇਤ੍ਰੀ ਦੇਖੀ ਵਾਰਤਾ ਦੱਸਦੇ ਹਾਂ।ਇਲਮ ਤੀਰੰਦਾਜ਼ੀ ਤੇ ਲੱਕੜੀ ਬਾਜ਼ੀ ਦਾ ਥੋੜ੍ਹੇ ਹੀ ਬਰਸ ਹੋਏ ਪੰਜਾਬ ਵਿਚਅਜੇਹਾ ਚਰਚਾ ਸੀ ਕਿ ਜਿਸਨੂੰ ਸੁਣਕੇ ਅਨੇਕ ਅੰਗ੍ਰੇਜ਼ੀ ਪੜ੍ਹੇ ਹੋਏ ਗੱਭਰੂ ਅਚਰਜ ਮਨਣਗੇ। ਸਰਦਾਰ ਅਮਰ ਸਿੰਘ ਮਜੀਠੀਆ, ਬੁੱਧ ਸਿੰਘ, ਵਸਾਵਾ ਸਿੰਘ ਸੰਧਾ ਵਾਲੀਏ ਵਗ਼ੈਰਾ ਅਨੇਕ ਸਰਦਾਰ ਕੜਾਹੇ ਵਿੱਚੋਂ ਦੀ ਤੀਰ ਨਿਕਾਲ ਦਿੰਦੇ ਸਨ ਤੇ ਜਿੱਥੇ ਚਾਹੁੰਦੇ ਓਥੇ ਹੀ ਬਾਣ ਮਾਰਦੇ। ਭਾਈ ਮਨੀ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਦਾ ਸਕਾ ਭਤੀਜਾ ਏਸ ਤਵਾਰੀਖ ਦੇ ਕਰਤਾ ਦਾ ਬਾਬਾ ਭਾਈ ਦਰਗਾਹਾਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ‘ਸ਼ਬਦ ਬੇਧ’ ਅਰਥਾਤ ਅੰਧੇਰੇ ਵਿੱਚ ਜਿੱਥੋਂ ਆਵਾਜ਼ ਆਂਵਦੀ ਉਸ ਦੇ ਮੂੰਹ ਯਾ ਦੇਹ ਵਿੱਚ ਅਚੂਕ ਤੀਰ ਮਾਰਦਾ। ਏਹ ਬਾਤ ਕਨਖਲ ਵਿੱਚ ਅਨੇਕ ਆਦਮੀ ਸੁਣੀ ਹੋਈ ਸੁਣਾਯਾ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਓਹ ਓਥੇ ਹੀ ਜਾ ਰਹੇ ਸਨ। ਡੇਰਾ ਭੀ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦਾ ਓਥੇ ਮਸ਼ਹੂਰ ਹੈ। ਅਨੇਕ ਦਰੱਖਤਾਂ ਦੇ ਵਿੱਚੋਂ ਓਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੇ ਤੀਰ ਕੱਢੇ ਸਨ ਅਤੇ ਲੱਕੜੀ ਬਾਜ਼ੀ ਵਾਲੇ ਅਸਾਂ ਏਥੋਂ ਤੱਕ ਦੇਖੇ ਹਨ ਜੋ ਮੰਜੇ ਹੇਠੋਂ ਕਾਂਉ ਨੂੰ ਬਾਹਰ ਨਾ ਜਾਣ ਦੇਣਾ। ਬਾਕੀ ਜੰਗ ਦਾ ਸਾਮਾਨ ਫੁਲਾਦੀ ਸੰਜੋਆਂ ਪੇਟੀ ਚਿਰਾਨੇ ਟੋਪ ਇਤਨੇਭਾਰੇ ਅਸਾਂ ਦੇਖੇ ਹਨ ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਹੁਣ ਦੇ ਗੱਭਰੂ ਮਸਾਂ ਚੁੱਕਣ ਤੇ ਓਹ ਸਿੰਘ ਓਦੂੰ ਦੂਣੇ ਭਾਰੇ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਸੰਜੋਆਂ ਪਹਿਨ ਕੇ ਜੰਗ ਕਰਦੇ ਹੁੰਦੇ ਜਾਂ ਭਾਂਜ ਪੈਂਦੀ ਤਾਂ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰਾਂ ਸੰਜੋਆਂ ਸਮੇਤ ਬੀਸ-ਬੀਸਕੋਹ ਨੱਠੇ ਚਲੇ ਜਾਂਦੇ। ਬਾਕੀ ਜੇ ਲੁੱਟ ਦਾ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਮਣ ਦੋ ਮਣ ਮਿਲ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਤਾਂ ਚਾਲੀ-ਚਾਲੀ ਕੋਹ ਪਹੁੰਚ ਕੇ ਦਮ ਲੈਂਦੇ ਸਨ।

For those who consider the previously described skills and knowledge to be fictitious, I’ll now give an account of what I have witnessed with my very own eyes. It’s only been a few years since the arts of archery and stick fighting were discussed in such a way that should [today's] young British-educated men have heard it, they would've considered it astounding. Sardars like Amar Singh Majittia, Buddh Singh, Wasava Singh Sandawalia and many other chieftains could shoot arrows straight through [metal] cauldrons; their arrows striking whichever targets they desired. Bhai Mani Singh ji’s nephew, [who was] the author of this historical document's forefather [called] Baba Dargaha Singh ji could 'pierce the word' meaning that even in the dark, they could accurately shoot an arrow into the mouth or body of anyone who made a sound.  

In the town of Kankhal these matters are spoken of by many men and they will inform you of as much because they [the previously mentioned sardars] used to go there. Even their camp is well known at that place. There, they shot arrows straight through many trees and I have seen stick fighters who have reached a point where they can keep a crow trapped underneath a bed. I’ve seen other materials of war like steel chainmail, belts, body armour and helmets that were so heavy that the strapping youth of today would just about be able to pick them up and those Singhs would go to war wielding and wearing weaponry and chainmail that was twice as heavy or they would undergo forced marches of approximately 50 kilometres (20 koh) with such weaponry and armour. They would only stop to rest after reaching destinations roughly 100 kilometres away and that too carrying any looted materials that came to hand.

ਭਰੋਸਾ ਹੈ ਹੁਣ ਦੇ ਜਵਾਨ ਏਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਤਾਕਤਾਂ ਤੇ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਵਿੱਦਿਆ ਨੂੰ ਭੀ ਸ਼ਾਇਦ ਹੀ ਸੱਚ ਮੰਨਣ ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਏਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਤਾਂ ਓਹ ਕਮਾਣਾਂ ਦੇਖੀਆਂ ਭੀ ਨਹੀਂ । ਚਿੱਲੇ ਕੀ ਚੜ੍ਹਾਉਣ? ਏਸੇ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ ਅਨੇਕ ਇਲਮ ਤੇ ਹੁਨਰ ਆਪਣੇ ਸਮੇਂ ਸਿਰ ਉਨੱਤੀ ਪਰ ਹੋ ਕੇ ਮਿਟ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ । ਸੰਮਤ ੧੯੧੪ ਬਿਕ੍ਰਮੀ ਤੋਂ ਪਹਿਲੇ ਤੀਰ ਅਨੇਕ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ ਦੇ ਭੱਥੇ ਭਰੇ ਹੋਏ ਕਮਾਨਾਂ, ਬੰਦੂਕਾਂ ਤੋੜੇਦਾਰਾਂਤੇ ਪੱਥਰ ਕਲਾਂ ਤਲਵਾਰਾਂ, ਨੇਜ਼ੇ, ਬਰਛੀਆਂ, ਸਾਂਗਾਂ, ਕਟਾਰ ਪੇਸ਼ਕਬਜ਼, ਤਮੰਚੇ, ਪਸਤੌਲ ਢਾਲਾਂ ਆਦਿਕ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਸੰਜੋਇ ਆਦਿਕ ਬਖਤਰ ਘਰ ਘਰ ਹੁੰਦੇ ਸੇ । ਸਭ ਲੋਕ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰਵਿੱਦ੍ਯਾ ਸਿੱਖਦੇ ਸਿਖਾਂਵਦੇ ਘਰ ਬੈਠੇ ਹੀ ਪੱਕੇ ਸਿਪਾਹੀ ਬਣੇ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ ਸੇ ।I

I believe that the young, strapping lads of today may have trouble accepting such strength and martial skills to be a reality because they haven't even seen those bows, let alone string one. In this fashion, many arts and skills - after reaching a highly developed stage become extinct at the hands of time. Prior to 1914 Bikram there were quivers packed with many varieties of arrows, guns, matchlocks, stone-cutting sabres, javelins, spears and pikes. Coats of mail and armoury, as well as weaponry such as punch daggers, Afghani stilettos, revolvers, pistols, shields and so forth were kept in each and every home. All the people would be learning or teaching the art of weaponry, and even whilst seated within their own homes they remained as true soldiers.

ਹੁਣ ਤਾਂ ਏਸ ਹੁਨਰ ਦੀ ਚਰਚਾ ਵੀ ਨਹੀਂ l ਬਹਾਦਰਾਂ ਦੇ ਪੁੱਤ੍ਰ ਕਿਰਾੜ ਬਣ ਰਹੇ ਹਨ l ਏਹ ਭੀ ਸਾਨੂੰ ਹੱਥੀਂ ਵਰਤਣ ਵਾਲਿਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਵਿੱਦਿਆ ਸ੍ਵ੍ਪਨਾ ਪ੍ਰਤੀਤ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਹੈ l ਪਚਾਸ ਕੁਬਰਸ ਹੋਰ ਨੂੰ ਏਸ ਵਿੱਦ੍ਯਾ ਦੀ ਸਖੋਪਤ ਹੋ ਕੇ ਝੂਠ ਹੀ ਮੰਨੀ ਜਾਊ l ਏਸੇ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਹੋਰ ਭੀ ਸੰਸਾਰਕ ਵਿਹਾਰਾਂ ਤੇ ਇਲਮਾਂ ਹੁਨਰਾਂ ਦੀ ਅਦਲਾ ਬਦਲੀ, ਉਤਪਤੀ ਪਰਲਯ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਰਹਿੰਦੀ ਹੈl ਦੇਖੋ ਕਦੇ ਓਹ ਸਮਾਂ ਸੀ ਜਦ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਬਣਮਾਣੂ ਬਣੇ ਹੋਏ ਪਰਬਤਾਂ ਦੀਆਂ ਕੰਦਰਾਂ ਤੇ ਬਿਰਛਾਂ ਹੇਠ ਬਿਨਾਂ ਬਿਸਤ੍ਰੇ ਸੁਖੀ ਸੌਂ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ ਸੇ, ਹੁਣ ਨਰਮ ਮੁਲਾਇਮ ਮਖ਼ਮਲੀ ਸੇਜ ਭੀ ਚੁਭੱਦੀਹੈ l ਕਦੇ ਅੰਜੀਰ ਤੇ ਭੋਜ ਪਤ੍ਰਾਂ ਨਾਲ ਨੰਗ ਢੱਕਦੇ ਸੇ, ਹੁਣ ਭਾਂਤ-ਭਾਂਤ ਦੇ ਰੇਸ਼ਮੀ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਭੀ ਪਸੰਦ ਨਹੀਂ l

Now there isn't even any mention of these skills and the sons of the brave are becoming business men. Even for those of us that continue to practice these martial arts, they are beginning to feel like a dream. In about fifty years these arts will be lost completely and [their existence] considered a lie. This is the way other professions and skills continue to change - their development and destruction a constant occurrence. Look, there was a time when men were forest-dwellers and lived in caves up on mountains, and slept peacefully under trees without any mattress; nowadays even a soft, smooth velvet bed is considered uncomfortable. Sometimes they covered their nakedness with fig leaves and tree bark, but in these days even a wide variety of silk garments aren't satisfactory.

ਕਦੇ ਸਾਗ ਪੱਤ੍ਰ, ਕੰਦ ਮੂਲ, ਜੰਡ ਫਲੀ, ਡੇਲਾ ਪੀਲੂੰ ਛੱਕ ਕੇ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਦਾ ਧੰਨਵਾਦ ਕਰਦੇ; ਹੁਣ ਛੱਤੀ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ ਦੇ ਭੋਜਨ ਗਲ ਫਸਦੇ ਹਨ। ਪਹਿਲੇ ਛੋਟੀ ਨਦੀ ਤੋਂਪਾਰ ਉੱਤਰਨਾ ਔਖਾ ਸੀ। ਬੇੜੀਆਂ ਖਿਚਦੇ ਥੱਕ ਜਾਂਦੇ। ਜਹਾਜ਼ਾਂ ਉੱਤੇ ਪਾਲਾਂ ਤਾਣ ਕੇ ਅਕਾਸ ਵੱਲ ਅੱਖਾਂ ਚੁੱਕ -ਚੁੱਕ ਦੇਖਦੇ, ਪੀਰ ਮਨਾਂਵਦੇ ਅਨੁਕੂਲ ਪੌਨ ਨੂੰਉਡੀਕਦੇ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ ਸਨ; ਹੁਣ ਅਗਨਬੋਟਾਂ ਤੇ ਪੁਲਾਂ ਦੇ ਆਸਰ ਬੜੇ ਬੜੇ ਦਰਿਆਵਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਆਸਾਨ ਲੰਘ ਜਾਈਦਾ ਹੈ

ਕਦੇ ਚਿੱਠੀ ਪੱਤ੍ਰ ਭੇਜਣਾ ਮੁਸ਼ਕਲ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਸੀ, ਹੁਣ ਹਜ਼ਾਰਾਂ ਕੋਹਾਂ ਦੀ ਖ਼ਬਰ ਸ਼ੀਘ੍ਰ ਆ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ।ਕਦੇ ਚਾਲੀ ਪੰਜਾਹ ਕੋਹ ਜਾਣਾ ਮੌਤ ਦੀ ਨਿਸ਼ਾਨੀ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਸੀ, ਹੁਣਰੇਲ ਗੱਡੀ ਲੋਰੀ ਦਿੰਦੀ ਹੋਈ ਸੁੱਤਿਆਂ ਪਿਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਹਜ਼ਾਰਾਂ ਕੋਹਾਂ ਤੇ ਲੈ ਜਾ ਬਿਠਾਂਵਦੀ ਹੈ। ਕਦੇ ਧਨੀ ਲੋਕਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਜੇਹੜੇ ਪੁਸਤਕ ਔਖੇ ਲੱਭਦੇ ਸਨ ਹੁਣ ਪਾਖਾਨ ਯੰਤ੍ਰਟਾਈਪ ਦੇ ਛਪੇ ਹੋਏ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਸ਼ੁੱਧ ਮੁਫ਼ਤ ਵਾਂਗੂੰ ਸਸਤੇ ਲੱਭਦੇ ਹਨ। ਕਦੇ ਚਿੱਟਾ ਕੱਪੜਾ ਪਾ ਕੇ ਦਸ ਕੋਹ ਜਾਣ ਤੋਂ ਡਰਦੇ ਥਰ ਥਰ ਕੰਬਦੇ, ਹੁਣ ਸੋਨਾ ਉਛਾਲਦੇ ਜਾਓ ਕੋਈ ਤੱਕ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਕਦਾ।

There was a time when people used to eat things like leafy greens [ਸਾਗ ਪੱਤ੍ਰ], root vegetables [ਕੰਦ ਮੂਲ], the pods of the Prosopis cineraria tree [ਜੰਡ ਫਲੀ], as well as the fruits of the Capparis aphylla tree [ਡੇਲਾ - literally 'eye-ball' due to shape and size of the fruit] and the Garcinia Morella tree [ਪੀਲੂੰ ] and thank Waheguru [these are examples of very common, simple food]; now 36 varieties of food are unpalatable. It used to be difficult to cross over a smallish river as pulling the boat across was exhausting. On [larger ships] people would repeatedly peer into the sky, painfully awaiting favourable winds to power their sails; whereas crossing massive rivers is easy with the help of steam boats and bridges today. 

Sending letters used to be difficult, now news from thousands of miles away arrives rapidly. Traveling 100 or 150 kilometres (40/50 koh) used to be a sure sign of death, but now trains can carry you thousands of kilometres away singing you a lullaby whilst you sleep. The books that even wealthy people had difficulty in procuring can now be found for practically free in beautiful, clear, printed publications. People would shudder in fear at the thought of traveling 25 kilometres wearing white clothes; now people toss gold around and no one gives it a second look. 

ਕਦੇ ਇੱਕ ਆਦਮੀ ਪੜ੍ਹਿਆ ਹੋਯਾ ਔਖਾ ਲੱਭਦਾ ਸੀ, ਹੁਣ ਘਰ ਘਰ ਅੰਗ੍ਰੇਜ਼ੀ, ਉਰਦੂ ਗੁਰਮੁਖੀ ਪੜ੍ਹੇ ਹੋਏ ਹਰ ਜਗ੍ਹਾ ਹਾਜ਼ਰ ਹਨ । ਕਦੇ ਮੋਟਾ ਕੱਪੜਾ ਭੀ ਜੁਲਾਹੇ ਮਿੰਨਤਾਂ ਕਰ ਕੇ ਉਣਕੇ ਦਿੰਦੇ, ਹੁਣ ਕਲਾ ਦੇ ਨਾਲ ਘੰਟੇ ਪਹਿਰਾਂ ਵਿੱਚ ਸੌ ਸੌ ਮਣ ਪੱਕੀ ਰੂਈਂ ਦਾ ਮਲਮਲਖਾਸਾ ਆਦਿਕ ਮਨਭਾਉਂਦਾ ਕੱਪੜਾ ਤਿਆਰ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ । ਜੋ ਅਮੀਰਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਔਖਾ ਲੱਭਦਾ ਸੀ, ਹੁਣ ਗ਼ਰੀਬ ਖੁੱਲ੍ਹੇ ਹੰਡਾਂਵਦੇ ਹਨ । ਕਦੇ ਘਾਸ ਦੇ ਕੱਚੇ ਕੋਠਿਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਭੀ ਗਨੀਮਤ ਸਮਝਦੇ ਤੇ ਬਣਾ ਭੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਜਾਣਦੇ ਸੇ ਹੁਣ ਬੜੇ ਬੜੇ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਮੰਦਰ ਭੀ ਪਸੰਦ ਨਹੀਂ ਆਂਵਦੇ । ਏਸੇ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਦਿਨੋਂ ਦਿਨ ਤੁਹਾਡੇ ਸੁਖ ਦੇ ਸਮਾਨ ਸਰਬ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ ????? ਹੁੰਦੇ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ ਹਨ । ਆਪਣੇ ਮਨ ਵਿੱਚ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਸੋਚ ਕੇ ਦੇਖੋ ਤਾਂ ਏਹ ਸਭ ਤੁਹਾਡੀ ਅਕਲ ਦਾ ਫ਼ਲ ਹੈ ਜੇਹੜੀ ਤੁਹਾਨੂੰ ????? ਨੇ ਹੋਰ ਸਾਰੇ ਜਾਨਦਾਰਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਅਧਿਕ ਬਖ਼ਸ਼ੀ ਹੈ । ਤਾਂ ਤੇ ਓਸ ਦਾ ਧੰਨਵਾਦ ਕਰੋ ਤੇ ਉਪਕਾਰ ਮੰਨੋ । ਦੇਖੋ, ਚਾਰ ਸੌ ਬਰਸ ਤੋਂ ਪਹਿਲੇ ਪਹਿਲੇ ਏਹੋ ਅੰਗਰੇਜ਼, ਜੇਹੜੇ ਹੁਣ ਅਕਲ ਤੇ ਇਲਮ ਦਾ ਸੂਰਜ ਬਣ ਰਹੇ ਹਨ; ਏਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੇ ਵੱਡੇ ਭੀ ਜੰਗਲਾਂ ਵਿੱਚ ਦਰੱਖ਼ਤਾਂ ਦੇ ਪੱਤੇ ਅਰ ਛਿੱਲੜ ਦੇ ਕੱਪੜੇ ਪਹਿਨਦੇ, ਦੇਹ ਉੱਤੇ ਰੰਗ ਲਾਂਵਦੇ ਬਨਮਾਣੂਆਂ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ ਸੇ । ਬਾਕੀ ਬੇਸਮਝੀ ਭੀ ਅਜੇਹੀ ਸੀ ਜੋ ਇੱਕ ਵਾਰੀ ਜੰਗ ਵਿੱਚੋਂ ਹਾਰ ਕੇ ਆਪਣੇ ਵੱਡੇ ਬੁੱਤ ਦੇਵਤਾ ਦੀ ਨਾਰਾਜ਼ਗੀ ਸਮਝ ਕੇ ਓਹਨੂੰ ਪ੍ਰਸੰਨ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਆਪਣੇ ਚਾਰ ਸੌ ਬਾਲਕ ਓਸ ਦੀ ਬਲੀਦਾਨ ਕਰ ਦਿੱਤੇ ।

It used to be difficult to find a single educated man; now there are people educated in English, Urdu and Gurmukhi present in each and every house. Even thick cloth was only available after imploring a weaver to weave it, but today, with the aid of machinery, hundreds and hundreds of maunds [an Indian unit of measurement] of pure cotton muslin and other desirable (?) cloth are prepared in a matter of hours. Things that even the wealthy obtained with great difficulty are now openly worn by poor people. ...now large, beautiful temples aren’t satisfactory. And in this way, all types of goods catering to your ease are being manufactured on a daily basis. Now, in your mind contemplate and examine: Is all of this derived from your own intelligence, which Ishwar has blessed you with in a greater abundance to the rest of humanity? Then be grateful [to Ishwaar] and accept it all to be a gift. Look, more than four hundred years ago these very English, who today are becoming shining rays of skill and intelligence; even their forefathers used to live in forests wearing clothes made from leaves and skin; they would paint their bodies [presumably a reference to woad] and live like savages. Plus there was such a level of ignorance that once, upon losing a battle (and considering this to be the consequence of the displeasure of their great idol-deity), they sacrificed four hundred of their male children in order to satiate him.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...