What are you reading these days?

dallysingh101

• 4 weeks later...

This looks interesting 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Faith-Gender-Activism-Punjab-Conflict/dp/3030246736

image.png.dcd163e2e0db494d4d6036d551eb284d.png

Product Description

Punjab was the arena of one of the first major armed conflicts of post-colonial India. During its deadliest decade, as many as 250,000 people were killed. This book makes an urgent intervention in the history of the conflict, which to date has been characterized by a fixation on sensational violence―or ignored altogether. Mallika Kaur unearths the stories of three people who found themselves at the center of Punjab’s human rights movement: Baljit Kaur, who armed herself with a video camera to record essential evidence of the conflict; Justice Ajit Singh Bains, who became a beloved “people’s judge”; and Inderjit Singh Jaijee, who returned to Punjab to document abuses even as other elites were fleeing. Together, they are credited with saving countless lives. Braiding oral histories, personal snapshots, and primary documents recovered from at-risk archives, Kaur shows that when entire conflicts are marginalized, we miss essential stories: stories of faith, feminist action, and the power of citizen-activists.

Review

“An exceptionally unique and major contribution to this extensive literature. … A particular strength of the book are the personal stories and narratives offered by Mallika Kaur’s interviewees, which give the reader a rare glimpse … . The product is a very readable but intellectually engaging book which is equally valuable for novices who wish to learn more about Sikh history and the Punjab conflict, and also for established scholars of Punjab, Indian democracy, human rights and legal studies.” (Jugdep S. Chima, Journal of Sikh & Punjāb Studies JSPS, Vol. 28 (1), 2021) 

“Excellent book examining the human rights dimension of the conflict in the Indian Punjab should be of interest to scholars, policy makers, journalists, diplomats, and practitioners. Mallika Kaur crafts an inspiring book that greatly contributes to the human rights literature … . Kaur furnishes a profoundly human story full of wit, poetry, and meaning that opens a fascinating window into the Sikh community, both in India and abroad. The interdisciplinary nature of the book is one of its main strengths.” (Andreas E. Feldmann, Human Rights Quarterly, Vol. 43 (2), May, 2021)

more here

thewire.in/article/books/mallika-kaur-punjab-conflict-review/amp

• 9 months later...

Just read this. Couldn't put it down after I started it. It's the second in the trilogy (and better than the first in my opinion). It's really pertinent to Sikhs in the diaspora too. It covers human trafficking and the role government social institutes can play in covering it up. Given what we've been facing in the UK, I'd advise all apneaan to read it too. Well worth it.   

9781906694159-uk.jpg

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

It's a fantastic book. And shows how corrupt the whole foster care/guardianship system can be. 

Yeah I remember when I was at school (a long time ago), and two teenaged apneean from northern monkey land were relocated in my ends. They'd been complaining about the usual misogynist patriarchal control stereotype, not being allowed to go out and dress how they want. Anyway, social services decided to settle them here, and very quickly the local pak minicab office groomers (it wasn't a recognised thing back then), realised they had these dumb, young, attention seeking broads around (most likely because the girls would take minicabs to get to places). So you had adult blokes, teenage blokes making a bee-line to their place. We can all guess what went on. 

There's no two ways about it, the police and social services systems over here knowingly fed vulnerable girls to the wolves. 

On 3/29/2023 at 2:47 PM, dallysingh101 said:

The trilogy is brilliant. I felt it got better in each book. 

On 3/29/2023 at 4:43 PM, Not2Cool2Argue said:

It's a fantastic book. And shows how corrupt the whole foster care/guardianship system can be. 

I haven't read the books. I have watched the English movie with Daniel Craig set in the first trilogy "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". And watched the 2nd English movie, which is set in the 2nd Trilogy "The Girl in the Spider's Web". I may watch the original 3 movies for the original trilogy with subtitles, but I don't think I will read the book.

On 4/6/2023 at 12:34 PM, ipledgeblue said:

I haven't read the books. I have watched the English movie with Daniel Craig set in the first trilogy "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". And watched the 2nd English movie, which is set in the 2nd Trilogy "The Girl in the Spider's Web". I may watch the original 3 movies for the original trilogy with subtitles, but I don't think I will read the book.

Seen a few of those movies, the ones in english as well as the nordic ones. Apart from the first Daniel Craig one, they are seriously different from the books, and even the Daniel Craig one doesn't have a lot of stuff in it, that is in the book. 

So, don't be under any illusions that the films are anything similar to the books.