whats the diff between chola and kurta

Apparently kurtas are the attire of the corrupt and scheming Brahmins and although it is worn by all classes of people today, this is actually a deep rooted plot (funded by the RSS no less) to turn unwitting folks to Brahminism.

I thought you would have known this.

the difference is in the cut  a kurta is straight up and down , it can have kalian , pockets and is  seamed with a short placket to get the head through  but the Chola has more width to the kalian lower down so is more A line shaped , it has side splits for ease of movement/seating like a kurta but the front is open all the way down  so is more like a coat in terms of putting on than over the head like a kurta . It is traditional to have a centre parted front rather than a more mughal/rajput style to the left . The lower section can have a tie attached to secure the leading edge upwards at waist height side seam (inside  so the hemline doesn't fall lower at the open edge .

2 hours ago, puzzled said:

In bhai gurdas jis vaarns it says something like a sikh should dress like a sikh, what does that mean ?   What does a sikh man/woman wear? 

Historically I think sikhs wore kurta or chola?  Salwar for women is a recent thing I think 

Maybe Bhai Gurdas ji is referring back to Guru Nanak Dev ji's advice about wearing modest clothing which will avoid the undesirable  action of inflaming vikars in the observers male or female . purataan pictures show more chola style shirts than kurtas even 19th century ones, the style is more chola even if like mughal/rajput side fastening. Nihang are shown with chola with/without pyjamai or barechested with just kumarkhassa and kachherea. There are picture of a kurti (small/short )kurta type top on gadari babey with/without waistcoat . women are shown with pyjami, salwar  and regular and chola style full sleeve kameez but all have high jooda and covered heads

Guest AjeetSinghPunjabi
17 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

Apparently kurtas are the attire of the corrupt and scheming Brahmins and although it is worn by all classes of people today, this is actually a deep rooted plot (funded by the RSS no less) to turn unwitting folks to Brahminism.

I thought you would have known this.

Before the advent of islam in india , I don't think Kurta pajamas existed. It was dhoti / gamcha / lungi and so on. 

Kurta I believe is an islamic introduction to india .  No ancient indian sages or kings can be seen wearing kurtas even in tv serials produced depicting those periods (ramayan / mahabharat) or even the sages. 

Men were usually bare chested and only had lower garment (dhoti) and women wore blouseless saris (blouse was introduced after islamic invaders to protect dignity of women) . Apparently indians never learnt the art of stitching garments. 

If you still go to south india , men are not allowed entry in temples unless they're bare chested and I think its old indian tradition because south was less under influence of islamic rulers. 

So Brahmans  are wearing kurte which is islamic wear . I laugh when they wear saffron kurta thinking its somehow more hindu compared to white ones muslims wear. Infact they're wearing a modified version of arab dress. If you shorten arab dress from ankles to knee length and cut from sides , its kurta only . 

But I think chola is different slightly

Guest AjeetSinghPunjabi
9 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

Maybe Bhai Gurdas ji is referring back to Guru Nanak Dev ji's advice about wearing modest clothing which will avoid the undesirable  action of inflaming vikars in the observers male or female .

I don't think dresses can stop vikaars. Honestly today despite modernization , muslims are some of the ppl who dress the most "modest". The burka and male version of it which covers from top to bottom . Still I am seeing these muslim girls in total black burke have boyfriends or keep staring at men from under their burke lol . I have seen cases of women in burke being raped. Vikaars are a mental thing I believe . no amount of clothing can remove it . Even something as modest as kachhera can be fancied if one has a dirty mind

2 hours ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

I don't think dresses can stop vikaars. Honestly today despite modernization , muslims are some of the ppl who dress the most "modest". The burka and male version of it which covers from top to bottom . Still I am seeing these muslim girls in total black burke have boyfriends or keep staring at men from under their burke lol . I have seen cases of women in burke being raped. Vikaars are a mental thing I believe . no amount of clothing can remove it . Even something as modest as kachhera can be fancied if one has a dirty mind

Well, you're right that it can't stop a vikar. But do you really want to say that "letting it all hang out" will decrease or increase likelihood of vikars? Be honest.

In fact, why stop there? Do you really think vikars would be exactly the same if people walked around naked?

Do you really want to claim that some people don't dress to sexually arouse others?

Also, go ahead and explain why you think Guru Sahib told us to wear a kachhera?

4 hours ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

Before the advent of islam in india , I don't think Kurta pajamas existed. It was dhoti / gamcha / lungi and so on. 

Kurta I believe is an islamic introduction to india .  No ancient indian sages or kings can be seen wearing kurtas even in tv serials produced depicting those periods (ramayan / mahabharat) or even the sages. 

Men were usually bare chested and only had lower garment (dhoti) and women wore blouseless saris (blouse was introduced after islamic invaders to protect dignity of women) . Apparently indians never learnt the art of stitching garments. 

If you still go to south india , men are not allowed entry in temples unless they're bare chested and I think its old indian tradition because south was less under influence of islamic rulers. 

So Brahmans  are wearing kurte which is islamic wear . I laugh when they wear saffron kurta thinking its somehow more hindu compared to white ones muslims wear. Infact they're wearing a modified version of arab dress. If you shorten arab dress from ankles to knee length and cut from sides , its kurta only . 

But I think chola is different slightly

front opening blouse was introduced in India when British people arrived , in the north people were already wearing ghagra over their suthan, wearing kurtis, choli and having kunnd when out and about . Looking at dramas on tv doesn't equate reality , as you just said women for centuries went barechest under their saris  so Sita ji would have been the same but no this has been altered to suit modern mores.

'Apparently indians never learnt the art of stitching garments.' of course they did stop with your silly commenting , women did embroideries fashioned soft furnishings, waistcoats , jackets , blouses , ghagras, pyjamian , kameez, Kacchare (remember how would Ram give Kacch to hanuman if there was no concept of sewing) etc  maybe it was more prevalent in the trading powerhouse of the north Punjab  but has existed for millenia , I have seen Sythian articles of clothing bought along with gold work from Punjab...