Why are we not Hindus?

Guest Bhujang

Guru Nanak created Sikh in order to establish a unique religion. Do Hindus do Langar? Maybe some but with limitations. Guru Ji's Langar? All Gurudwaras for everyone no matter caste, creed n religion.

Do Hindus cover heads? Does the scriptures encourage "Believe in one God?" Or "Believe in me, for I am Krishna?" Does it recommend Deswand or seva of Brahmins n Pundits??

Think about it this way, Ram Ji opens up Costa coffee and establishes rules. Guru Nanak Ji approaches Ram Ji and says "I'd like to open a Franchise of Costa..." Then a customer approaches Guru Nanak's Costa, "Americano, please".    . "Sorry. Ram Ji's Costa don't do Americano so I don't neither..."

If you want newer things u must establish your own identity. Rules, regulations n services will be different. Saying Sikhs are under Hindu's wing is like walking into Costa n asking for Starbuck Special coffee.

15 hours ago, jkvlondon said:
On 11/15/2018 at 11:57 PM, BhForce said:

What point are  you trying to make? 

Do you think that Gurbani contradicts itself?

On the one hand it says that we are not Hindus (or Muslims).

Given the fact that that line says "my body and breath belong to Allah and Raam", do you think that that means that, here, Allah and Ram are two distinct gods, and they hold a 50-50 percent stake in your body and breath?

All that the line means is that Guru ji is saying that there's only one God, call him Allah or Ram, whatever. And he owns my body and breath.

In no sense does the line negate the earlier line that we are neither Muslims or Hindus.

Allah is literal 'the most high/exalted  ' and Ram is not Ram Chander son of king Dasarath but Rameiya 'the One who is initmately intermingled/connected to the Creation' so superficial reading of Gurbani is not going to cut it

Sure, I'd be willing to accept what you said as a meaningful interpretation of the line.

The problem is the literal translation quoted by @Sukhvirk1976 , which seems to imply that the writer of the Shabad is beholden to two different entities, Allah and Ram (as normally defined). And, secondly, that that somehow negates what I quoted about "Na hum Hindu na Musalman". As if we're supposed to believe in both Allah and Ram (traditionally defined) and therefore we are both Hindu and Muslim. Nutty.

I asked Sukhvirk to give his own interpretation, but he has failed to reply.

Guest Anaah Kaanah
53 minutes ago, BhForce said:

Those that are Islamophiles can hardly be expected to admit such truths.

It's bizarre why so many act as apologists for the perpetrators of Genocide.

The British Genocide of Sikhs is hardly ever mentioned by most Sikhs nowadays.

The Pakistani Genocide of Sikhs is hardly mentioned by Sikhs either despite 20% of the Sikh population being killed there.

Obviously the minority that is historically aware does recognise the Vada Ghallughara in which Muslims killed 90% of Sikhs.

However, after 1977 (a mere 30years after 1947) to all intents and purposes the Pakistani Genocide of Sikhs was forgotten.

Similarly, a great many people forgot the devastation and almost 100year Genocide inflicted by the East India Company and British Empire upon Sikhs and subsequently enlisted with them for purely financial gain similar to nominal Sikhs enlisting with Punjab Police between 1985-1995. Obviously greater numbers of Muslim Punjabi's and Hindu's generally fought for the British (with Sikhs only being a small minority of their forces) but that there are thousands of pounds wasted by UK Sikhs on statues (that ought to have been 100% funded by the Government) whilst Sikh children in Punjab go hungry, go uneducated and die for lack of health treatment is an utter disgrace. Even the original Nihangs of Akali Phula Singh Ji's time were neutered by the British after 1849 into a degenerate bunch of drug takers that fought on behalf of the Hindu Mahants during the Gurdwara Reform Movement, for the 1897 Sodhak Committee and working against the Panth on behalf of Indira Gandhi in 1984. 

The number of Sikhs killed in the British Genocide of Sikhs actually exceeds anything Congress and Indira Gandhi inflicted.

As for 1984 it's crystal clear that the majority do not remember it today. If the British Genocide of Sikhs and the Pakistani Genocide of Sikhs which inflicted far far worse casualties (particularly as a higher percentage of the smaller Sikh population back in those times) were so easily and quickly forgotten then it's hardly any surprise. But that Panj Piare in every pind along with their allies are not launching a dharam yudh against female infanticide, the drugs menace, illiteracy, poverty, cancer, environmental disaster, matrimonial apartheid and failing to unite every pind under a single united Gurdwara is the worst aspect of 1984 being forgotten about.

Meaningless slogans year after year in the Diaspora which achieve nothing and take our eyes off the mainly self-inflicted silent Genocide that we are a party to are becoming part of the problem. The Pakistani's have received tens of billions of development aid from the British Government since 1984.

Yet Sikhs in the UK have not made any concrete efforts to demand that an equal number of billions be invested by the UK into helping poor Sikhs in Punjab and across India as part of a long awaited yet to be received apology for the UK Government's collusion with Indira Gandhi and Congress in the 1980's with Sikh taxpayers money.

White people who are not racist are not our enemy. We need to enlist more and more of them like GurjantGnostic as allies.

Similarly ordinary Hindu's who can be tomorrow's sehajdhari and potential Amritdhari Sikhs are not part of the problem.

We need to incorporate these so-called falsely classified Hindu's (defined as so by RSS) as new members of the Sikh Panth.

But before that, if we can't get our own house in order ourselves (ie one Gurdwara per pind only for starters) then continued Sikh apathy towards the Congress Genocide of Sikhs, the Pakistani Genocide of Sikhs and the British Genocide of Sikhs as well as earlier (and far more devastating in percentage terms) Holocausts inflicted upon the Sikh Qaum by Muslims are par for the course.

Seriously what kind of "Sikh" enjoys holidays to Pakistan or Arabia (and flies on Muslim airlines) given what they think of Sikhs!?

What kind of community tolerates female infanticide and matrimonial apartheid given what happened to our Qaum in 1984!?

The answer is a community that is heading towards minority status in east Punjab in a few years unless we start to do something about it very fast by welcoming as much new blood into Sikh Panth as possible regardless of whether that new blood is Hindu Punjabi, Bihari, Tamil, white, black or even from the same background as Guru ka Sikh Bhai Mardana Ji's parents.

We must grow the numbers of the Sikh Panth and educate our younger generations or else (perish)!  

2 hours ago, BhForce said:

Sure, I'd be willing to accept what you said as a meaningful interpretation of the line.

The problem is the literal translation quoted by @Sukhvirk1976 , which seems to imply that the writer of the Shabad is beholden to two different entities, Allah and Ram (as normally defined). And, secondly, that that somehow negates what I quoted about "Na hum Hindu na Musalman". As if we're supposed to believe in both Allah and Ram (traditionally defined) and therefore we are both Hindu and Muslim. Nutty.

Hi there.. Firstly my original response to you was really quite specific.. By raising the question about your omission of the very next line of the shabd I was highlighting how problematic your assertion is. You decontextualised the shabd it would be very easy for someone who doesn't know the complexity and sophistication of gurbani to see your views as dogmatic..

Note the structure of the bani, and the use of identity labels used in the first verse but transcendental terms used in the second.. I am neither Hindu nor Muslim.. 

And then as a counterpoint uses terms from each traditions cosmology Allah raam my body and soul. The very core of nondualism. That if you obsess over one approach over another you end up missing the point. Both philosophical traditions have merit but because identity politics and blind following, it is a critique of blind following.. 

Interestingly your next quote actually reaffirms that.. Hindu is blind, turkoo (or Muslim) has one eye the core of nondualism. That all and one are what makes the whole.. The 'Hindu' is blind because he is blinded by the scope of avatars and thinks them to be gods rather than metaphorical expression of characteristics of akaal. The Muslim has one eye because he doesn't recognise the pluralistic nature of akaal.. Is dogmatic, places importance in a simplistic understanding where he sees avatars as polytheism.. Both are wedded to identity rather than actually understanding.. That like body and soul (duality which are symbiotic) make up the whole which is advaita.. 

I categorically reject that the shabd suggests it is beholden to two entities.. I believe it is both revelatory and a warning to us about not getting bogged down in identity politics.. Otherwise we will become blind or myopic 

On 11/21/2018 at 1:42 AM, Guest Anaah Kaanah said:

Those that are Islamophiles can hardly be expected to admit such truths.

It's bizarre why so many act as apologists for the perpetrators of Genocide.

The British Genocide of Sikhs is hardly ever mentioned by most Sikhs nowadays.

The Pakistani Genocide of Sikhs is hardly mentioned by Sikhs either despite 20% of the Sikh population being killed there.

Obviously the minority that is historically aware does recognise the Vada Ghallughara in which Muslims killed 90% of Sikhs.

However, after 1977 (a mere 30years after 1947) to all intents and purposes the Pakistani Genocide of Sikhs was forgotten.

Similarly, a great many people forgot the devastation and almost 100year Genocide inflicted by the East India Company and British Empire upon Sikhs and subsequently enlisted with them for purely financial gain similar to nominal Sikhs enlisting with Punjab Police between 1985-1995. Obviously greater numbers of Muslim Punjabi's and Hindu's generally fought for the British (with Sikhs only being a small minority of their forces) but that there are thousands of pounds wasted by UK Sikhs on statues (that ought to have been 100% funded by the Government) whilst Sikh children in Punjab go hungry, go uneducated and die for lack of health treatment is an utter disgrace. Even the original Nihangs of Akali Phula Singh Ji's time were neutered by the British after 1849 into a degenerate bunch of drug takers that fought on behalf of the Hindu Mahants during the Gurdwara Reform Movement, for the 1897 Sodhak Committee and working against the Panth on behalf of Indira Gandhi in 1984. 

The number of Sikhs killed in the British Genocide of Sikhs actually exceeds anything Congress and Indira Gandhi inflicted.

As for 1984 it's crystal clear that the majority do not remember it today. If the British Genocide of Sikhs and the Pakistani Genocide of Sikhs which inflicted far far worse casualties (particularly as a higher percentage of the smaller Sikh population back in those times) were so easily and quickly forgotten then it's hardly any surprise. But that Panj Piare in every pind along with their allies are not launching a dharam yudh against female infanticide, the drugs menace, illiteracy, poverty, cancer, environmental disaster, matrimonial apartheid and failing to unite every pind under a single united Gurdwara is the worst aspect of 1984 being forgotten about.

Meaningless slogans year after year in the Diaspora which achieve nothing and take our eyes off the mainly self-inflicted silent Genocide that we are a party to are becoming part of the problem. The Pakistani's have received tens of billions of development aid from the British Government since 1984.

Yet Sikhs in the UK have not made any concrete efforts to demand that an equal number of billions be invested by the UK into helping poor Sikhs in Punjab and across India as part of a long awaited yet to be received apology for the UK Government's collusion with Indira Gandhi and Congress in the 1980's with Sikh taxpayers money.

White people who are not racist are not our enemy. We need to enlist more and more of them like GurjantGnostic as allies.

Similarly ordinary Hindu's who can be tomorrow's sehajdhari and potential Amritdhari Sikhs are not part of the problem.

We need to incorporate these so-called falsely classified Hindu's (defined as so by RSS) as new members of the Sikh Panth.

But before that, if we can't get our own house in order ourselves (ie one Gurdwara per pind only for starters) then continued Sikh apathy towards the Congress Genocide of Sikhs, the Pakistani Genocide of Sikhs and the British Genocide of Sikhs as well as earlier (and far more devastating in percentage terms) Holocausts inflicted upon the Sikh Qaum by Muslims are par for the course.

Seriously what kind of "Sikh" enjoys holidays to Pakistan or Arabia (and flies on Muslim airlines) given what they think of Sikhs!?

What kind of community tolerates female infanticide and matrimonial apartheid given what happened to our Qaum in 1984!?

The answer is a community that is heading towards minority status in east Punjab in a few years unless we start to do something about it very fast by welcoming as much new blood into Sikh Panth as possible regardless of whether that new blood is Hindu Punjabi, Bihari, Tamil, white, black or even from the same background as Guru ka Sikh Bhai Mardana Ji's parents.

We must grow the numbers of the Sikh Panth and educate our younger generations or else (perish)!  

Just to clarify are you suggesting that I am a islamophile? 

On 10/27/2018 at 11:43 AM, Guest Bhujang said:

It's clear that Sikhi is very different from Islam. However, same cannot be argued for Hinduism. Sikhi shares a lot with it; reincarnation, concept of Guru-student, mukti etc. Given that Hinduism encompasses various differing traditions, Sikhi can be accepted as a tradition within the wider Hindu dharma. It technically is and has been, until the British-funded Singh Sabha

First of all there is no  such thing as hinduism. There are different religions practices lumped under it. Like agoris (they use dead bodies) yogis, pandits. All have different practices. They all do share some basic principles. Like reincarnation etc. 

So you could say that sikhi is a dharmic religion as is hinduism and buddhism. Similar to how christianity, islam, and judaism is abrahamic religion. But even tho christianity has same texts as judaism. It is considered a diff religion. Same as sikhi. 

22 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

First of all there is no  such thing as hinduism. There are different religions practices lumped under it. Like agoris (they use dead bodies) yogis, pandits. All have different practices. They all do share some basic principles. Like reincarnation etc. 

So you could say that sikhi is a dharmic religion as is hinduism and buddhism. Similar to how christianity, islam, and judaism is abrahamic religion. But even tho christianity has same texts as judaism. It is considered a diff religion. Same as sikhi. 

I think that is a very considered response.. Although in my mind I usually distinguish between sikhi and Sikhism, the latter being the drive to create a formalised institutional religion.. And sikhi being the broader philosophical approach..? 

On 11/8/2018 at 6:55 PM, S1ngh said:

Though not in habit of chain-type replying but you are not making any sense. You use the method of deflection and since you are not even registered as a member and maybe you are posting with various different ids to post your ideology (fearing that you may not have enough support). For that reason, i feel it will be my waste of time debating/discussing with you my dear brother. Have a great life.

uh no i am not posting with multiple ids, not am i "fearing" that i do not have enough "support".  "support" is not a basis for truth or reasoning.  keep up with your 'ad hominem' nonsense.

On 11/16/2018 at 7:57 AM, BhForce said:

What point are  you trying to make? 

Do you think that Gurbani contradicts itself?

On the one hand it says that we are not Hindus (or Muslims).

Given the fact that that line says "my body and breath belong to Allah and Raam", do you think that that means that, here, Allah and Ram are two distinct gods, and they hold a 50-50 percent stake in your body and breath?

All that the line means is that Guru ji is saying that there's only one God, call him Allah or Ram, whatever. And he owns my body and breath.

In no sense does the line negate the earlier line that we are neither Muslims or Hindus.

the point he made is that you are selectively quoting.

SGGS is a spiritual text not an ideological one.