Why are we not Hindus?

Guest Bhujang

On 11/21/2018 at 12:42 AM, BhForce said:

Sure, I'd be willing to accept what you said as a meaningful interpretation of the line.

The problem is the literal translation quoted by @Sukhvirk1976 , which seems to imply that the writer of the Shabad is beholden to two different entities, Allah and Ram (as normally defined). And, secondly, that that somehow negates what I quoted about "Na hum Hindu na Musalman". As if we're supposed to believe in both Allah and Ram (traditionally defined) and therefore we are both Hindu and Muslim. Nutty.

I asked Sukhvirk to give his own interpretation, but he has failed to reply.

i'm not sukhvirk

the "literal translation" as you call it does not "behold' them as two different entities, as they are both equated with one thing (pind ka praan).   the Shabad seems to be denouncing sectarianism as irrelevant if you understand God as someone close to you (i.e. within your own body).

On 11/27/2018 at 5:55 AM, Guest guest said:

the point he made is that you are selectively quoting.

SGGS is a spiritual text not an ideological one.

There is selective quoting because the Gurbani applies to say the Gurus are neither hindu or Muslim. Any rational person can see this as right.  If you can find a shabad that says we are Hindus and/or Muslim then provide it.  You can't provide such a shabad because one does not exist in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and this is the very reason why you are upset.  The Guru says they are not hindu and Muslim man.  So go to Sri Akal Takht Sahib and throw your childish fit with them.  See how far you get.  Followers of the Guru are referred to as Sikhs as Gurbani says.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is NOT a text.  Illerates of Gurbani would only say Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is a text.

On 10/27/2018 at 4:43 PM, Guest Bhujang said:

It's clear that Sikhi is very different from Islam. However, same cannot be argued for Hinduism. Sikhi shares a lot with it; reincarnation, concept of Guru-student, mukti etc. Given that Hinduism encompasses various differing traditions, Sikhi can be accepted as a tradition within the wider Hindu dharma. It technically is and has been, until the British-funded Singh Sabha

On 11/17/2018 at 5:40 PM, Guest Ranveer said:

Hinduism is the only ancient civilization still in existence till this day..dharma regardless of Hindu,Buddhist or sikh is growing,the west have adopted the methods & teachings of eating healthy and doing daily yoga. At the end of the day whatever anyone says it's about self experience and if that works for the betterment of that individual than who I'm I to say its wrong, Vedas (Upanishads) has done so much great in the world and the knowledge is superior that it's having a strong effect on people even now..schools are teaching children Sanskrit which is crucial coz most translation in English were corrupted by the west people like max muller..If anyone's ancestors were from sindh than you're a Hindu by geography.

The term hinduism implies a colonial era religion.

There is only dharma. Hinduism as a religion was non existent before goras arrived.

First look at sikhs and hindus in a dharmik context before using unreliable terms and definitions such as hinduism.

It's even correct to call sikhi as sikhism.

There are many hindu panths. In Gurus' times, hindu referred to geographical populations of Bharat and people following bharat culture. However goras changed meaning of hindu to refer to a religion.

This is what makes it difficult to answer this question....

Although many modern sikhs have become allergic to the term hindu themselves. I do not deny sikhi being part of dharma and following both nirguna and sarguna saroop. However, to conclude, the term hinduism lacks logic and should never be used to refer to dharma or sanatan dharma.

32 minutes ago, ipledgeblue said:

The term hinduism implies a colonial era religion.

And what religion (colonial era religion) was that, bro?

33 minutes ago, ipledgeblue said:

Hinduism as a religion was non existent before goras arrived.

Call it Hindu-ism or Hindu matt (ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮਤ), what does it matter?

Just wondering, how do you define "ism", and how do you define matt?

34 minutes ago, ipledgeblue said:

In Gurus' times, hindu referred to geographical populations of Bharat and people following bharat culture. However goras changed meaning of hindu to refer to a religion.

Is that what you think? What do you think Guru Nanak Dev ji is referring to when they say that the Hindus are erring from the start:

ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੂਲੇ ਭੂਲੇ ਅਖੁਟੀ ਜਾਂਹੀ ॥

Link

I would agree with you that Hindu means "Indian" in some contexts, but I disagree that it means Indian in all contexts.

Later, Guru ji references specific religious practices in the shabad:

ਪਾਥਰੁ ਲੇ ਪੂਜਹਿ ਮੁਗਧ ਗਵਾਰ ॥

(The fools took stones and worshipped them.)

By mentioning a specific religious practice, it is made clear what Guru ji is referring to. By contrast using the word Hindu as in Babur invaded and killed the Hindus can certainly mean Indian.

On 12/4/2018 at 1:57 AM, BhForce said:

And what religion (colonial era religion) was that, bro?

Call it Hindu-ism or Hindu matt (ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮਤ), what does it matter?

Just wondering, how do you define "ism", and how do you define matt?

Is that what you think? What do you think Guru Nanak Dev ji is referring to when they say that the Hindus are erring from the start:

ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੂਲੇ ਭੂਲੇ ਅਖੁਟੀ ਜਾਂਹੀ ॥

Link

I would agree with you that Hindu means "Indian" in some contexts, but I disagree that it means Indian in all contexts.

Later, Guru ji references specific religious practices in the shabad:

ਪਾਥਰੁ ਲੇ ਪੂਜਹਿ ਮੁਗਧ ਗਵਾਰ ॥

(The fools took stones and worshipped them.)

By mentioning a specific religious practice, it is made clear what Guru ji is referring to. By contrast using the word Hindu as in Babur invaded and killed the Hindus can certainly mean Indian.

of course it matters between hindu matt and hinduism.

Again when Guru ji talks about hindus, he could be saying it in a cultural way as well. As in hindus practiced stone worship as cultural and folk traditions way etc Such as many punjabi sikhs practice punjabi traditions, it doesn't make it a matt, more of a culture. 

We must must must get out of this gora mentality before looking at terms such as hindu and hinduism. The Gurus bani is in dharmik framework, not gora or middle eastern abrahamic framework!

1 hour ago, ipledgeblue said:

of course it matters between hindu matt and hinduism.

Again when Guru ji talks about hindus, he could be saying it in a cultural way as well. As in hindus practiced stone worship as cultural and folk traditions way etc Such as many punjabi sikhs practice punjabi traditions, it doesn't make it a matt, more of a culture. 

We must must must get out of this gora mentality before looking at terms such as hindu and hinduism. The Gurus bani is in dharmik framework, not gora or middle eastern abrahamic framework!

If you wish to get out of the so called "gora mentality" then you have to ask what is it about that mentality that is restrictive..? 

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh

And...the bejewelled laptop comes out again. The great Hindu Gods gather round it. There is much merriment and joy in the room.They can't believe what they're reading. They are overjoyed. On a 'Sikh' site there are 'Sikhs' pontificating 'Hinduism'. "Hooorah....Hooorah" the Gods say in delight. "Bravo" says another. "Our job here is done" "and now we can safely put the diamond encrusted laptop away again and get back to whatever it is we were doing"

hindu gods looking at my posts.jpg

On 12/12/2018 at 9:35 AM, Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh said:

And...the bejewelled laptop comes out again. The great Hindu Gods gather round it. There is much merriment and joy in the room.They can't believe what they're reading. They are overjoyed. On a 'Sikh' site there are 'Sikhs' pontificating 'Hinduism'. "Hooorah....Hooorah" the Gods say in delight. "Bravo" says another. "Our job here is done" "and now we can safely put the diamond encrusted laptop away again and get back to whatever it is we were doing"

hindu gods looking at my posts.jpg

Atleast try and say something intelligent.. The site is a sikh Sangat platform.. I know you probably think you have unlocked the truth and are enlightened but conversation and khoj is a part of sikhi not alien to it.. Why don't you just become a wahabbi Muslim if you are looking for absolutes?