Jump to content

DO Sikhs always play the victim?


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, mahandulai said:

I went to a poetry night recently, and all the poems are about sadness, and victimisation of the sikhs........?

Well our people become Shaheed and were brutally murdered man and woman were raped etc. Horrible!

We haven't even been told how many were actually killed and with the more information that the Panth collects, we see that it becomes worse and worse

https://youtu.be/NH-Q-lEBf8M

To answer your question we are not playing the victim since we want justice for basic human rights being violated, we're not trying to get people to cry for us or anything but help us show the world that some people are just sick and corrupt

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Who in the world doesn't know this? 

And look at how apnay go to other sick and corrupt groups of people, like they will help them. How many decades have they been crawling up to the united nations with no result? How much has all the marches in London and bull5hit attempts at leveraging Parliament helped? Meanwhile in England, Sikh and white girls have been getting sexually abused on industrial scales - whilst the politicians, police and social services have looked on and actually helped the abusers more than anything. Don't that tell you something about what people in power really feel about your issues?

I think apnay are stuck in a dead and defunct political mode, and make themselves look like clowns. Do you think in this increasingly unstable world, where lots of people are feeling insecure, and violence lurks everywhere anyone really gives a 5hite about 'Sikh human rights' from the 80s?

I think a lot of the quom have completely lost touch with reality and their political acumen is nonexistent. 

can agree to an extent,

but the harassment thing happens everywhere, and is a side issue.

i think everyone has some form of opression, that they can speak about, literally every culture, always playing the blame game. throughout the year, sikhs literally talk of nothing except how theyve been opressed, and blah blah blah

6 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

you are the kind of guy who would go to a holocaust commeration and say why so sad? In case it escaped you 31st oct  to 6 November is Delhi Genocide week

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RajKaregaKhalsa1 said:

Well our people become Shaheed and were brutally murdered man and woman were raped etc. Horrible!

We haven't even been told how many were actually killed and with the more information that the Panth collects, we see that it becomes worse and worse

https://youtu.be/NH-Q-lEBf8M

To answer your question we are not playing the victim since we want justice for basic human rights being violated, we're not trying to get people to cry for us or anything but help us show the world that some people are just sick and corrupt

 

 

2 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Who in the world doesn't know this? 

And look at how apnay go to other sick and corrupt groups of people, like they will help them. How many decades have they been crawling up to the united nations with no result? How much has all the marches in London and bull5hit attempts at leveraging Parliament helped? Meanwhile in England, Sikh and white girls have been getting sexually abused on industrial scales - whilst the politicians, police and social services have looked on and actually helped the abusers more than anything. Don't that tell you something about what people in power really feel about your issues?

I think apnay are stuck in a dead and defunct political mode, and make themselves look like clowns. Do you think in this increasingly unstable world, where lots of people are feeling insecure, and violence lurks everywhere anyone really gives a 5hite about 'Sikh human rights' from the 80s?

I think a lot of the quom have completely lost touch with reality and their political acumen is nonexistent. 

here we have an interesting result?

@RajKaregaKhalsa1 is quite liberal, and full of seva,

@dallysingh101 replied. and he feels disrespected, because people have been taking us for fools, for a long time.

lets remember where each other stand,  your views are important.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mahandulai said:

 

here we have an interesting result?

@RajKaregaKhalsa1 is quite liberal, and full of seva,

@dallysingh101 replied. and he feels disrespected, because people have been taking us for fools, for a long time.

lets remember where each other stand,  your views are important.

 

Well Dallysingh101 knows more than me, I'm not that old so doesn't really matter what I say

But I agree with what DallySingh is saying about how we have been played as fools

Not sure if we can call ourselves victims 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mahandulai said:

can agree to an extent,

but the harassment thing happens everywhere, and is a side issue.

i think everyone has some form of opression, that they can speak about, literally every culture, always playing the blame game. throughout the year, sikhs literally talk of nothing except how theyve been opressed, and blah blah blah

 

Importantly so. Seeing as the Sikh identity and history are under constant attack, and certain nation states apparently need reminding of the shining example and sacrifices made by Sikhs. Need reminding Sikhs have earned and secured their rights as a people having done so for others. 

This isn't to say individual Sikhs need to be individually trapped by a victim mentality, but to cease speaking truth of the Sikh struggle only serves imperialists and brutal mass murders capable of attempted genocide who wish to rewrite history for their own comfort while they continue into the future as brutal and dangerous as ever. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I have come to see in history Sikhs have a right to play the victim in most cases. For centuries slaughtered by mughals, only to in the 20th century be gunned down by the English, Hindis, and Gurka, on many occasions. Don't forget in the US just recently an Islamophobe shot up a Gurdwara and a police captain's son punched a gramp in the face. Blue Star.

Surprisingly though Sikhs have complained less about being the victims than let's say Jews or native peoples. It could be increasing around the youth because the whole victim mentality is out of control due to education.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Importantly so. Seeing as the Sikh identity and history are under constant attack, and certain nation states apparently need reminding of the shining example and sacrifices made by Sikhs. Need reminding Sikhs have earned and secured their rights as a people having done so for others. 

This isn't to say individual Sikhs need to be individually trapped by a victim mentality, but to cease speaking truth of the Sikh struggle only serves imperialists and brutal mass murders capable of attempted genocide who wish to rewrite history for their own comfort while they continue into the future as brutal and dangerous as ever. 

maybe ur right, and the theme of the century right now, is oppression, and everyones just feeling down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mahandulai said:

maybe ur right, and the theme of the century right now, is oppression, and everyones just feeling down.

Oppression is nothing new. Someone is always (at least trying to) oppress others. I think what might be happening is that people who've long been on the receiving end are waking up to this and questioning it. 

On the flipside, some of the people who have been traditionally privileged are also now feeling 'oppressed' because they've had to compete with outsiders and they feel that some of their privilege is now being eroded. That explains a lot of political things we see around us today, like Trump and the re-emergence of the far right in various parts of Europe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Oppression is nothing new. Someone is always (at least trying to) oppress others. I think what might be happening is that people who've long been on the receiving end are waking up to this and questioning it. 

On the flipside, some of the people who have been traditionally privileged are also now feeling 'oppressed' because they've had to compete with outsiders and they feel that some of their privilege is now being eroded. That explains a lot of political things we see around us today, like Trump and the re-emergence of the far right in various parts of Europe. 

Trump is a good guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I think there are various different reasons for that. One being there are no consequences, which means no boundaries. Around 20 years ago people had to face consequences. With wanting to marry a non-Sikh, you were either disowned by your parents or you were forced to marry someone from a Sikh background. Now there are absolutely no consequences at all.   Much of it is to do with how the religions are practiced and preached. Muslims are constantly reminded of Hell, marrying non-Muslim means going to hell.  You see Sikhi isn't that different in that sense. Bani constantly reminds us of Narak and Dharam raj, and Guru Gobind Singh ji gave strict Hukkam of giving your daughters hand only to a Singh. But, the Sikhi which has been preached and practiced for long is a very wishy-washy Bollywood type of Sikhi.  Around 15 years ago, our community saw an explosion of love marriages, around this time very large numbers of Sikh kids started enrolling into further education, like uni etc   these things bring about cultural changes in immigrant communities, some positive, some negative.  With time, culture changes as well ..   In the old days after anand karaj the "reception party" was basically roti and then everyone went home. Some families used to have singers and dancers perform after the wedding in the house, men were allowed to sit and watch while women were strictly forbidden, so women would peak through the windows or from the roof tops. Years later it became acceptable for women to sit and watch the "entertainment". Eventually the entertainment became reception parties as we see in the west and people in Punjab started copying. Now people are having reception parties in nothing less than 4* venues, spending £100,000s,  we see brides openly drinking and getting drunk.  So you can see how culture changes ...  with this change peoples attitudes change.  Another interesting thing is here in the west the first South Asian community to push boundaries and make taboos acceptable are the Hindus!   then around 5 years later the Westernized, liberal kind of Sikhs copy the Hindus and then a few years later the rest of the community start following. Pakistanis normally catch up around 10 years later.  Its the order ... Homosexuality is now acceptable in the western Hindu community, so many gay Hindus are coming out and having gay mandir weddings and their families are supportive. I know a Gujju girl and her cousin is a lesbian and dating another Hindu lesbian, my friend sent me a photo of them! and both the families have accepted the couple. Currently the Sikh community, on this matter, is in the "debate phase"  give it another few years and it will be acceptable, and it will be the same Westernized, liberal, often successful and pagh wearing Sikhs that will be the first to make gay Sikh marriage acceptable, and then the rest of us will follow. Pakis will catch up around 10 years later.    Even in the paki community I've seen a lot of changes, some of the stuff that they do now wouldn't have been accepted 15 years ago or so. Apostasy among Muslims is on the rise, the women seem to be leading it!  
    • Parent 1. Obviously it depends on the content and the aim of the school. It would be good to have all aspects of Sikhi in one place which has authenticity. No too much pressure for them to learn and churn out material to sit exams. It would be more of quality rather than quantity . 2. Support level , to get a clear understanding what will be taught and the kids and parents expectations right from the beginning. 3. Yes Cost does matter. We have 100's of Gurudawara who should have a budget set aside to invest in the kids and our future generation. So ideas such as this can be researched and developed without thinking about funding. If the cost was reasonable I would pay plus as already mentioned if free its not taken seriously. 4. Self paced is good , but there needs to be a facility where questions can be answered. May be have one or 2 live sessions and the rest self paced.   Sangat 1. Yes there should be tiers , but I think most importantly the material should be authentic. As theres a lot of online material , which ones are good resources , average and bad . 2. May be set up some kind of certification structure for sikhi which over time is recognized and can be used by individuals to train/educate other members of the public. Like many certification courses , they cost but not too much ( starting form £10 plus) The task should be to get as many people doing the online courses as possible, then the price can be low and you will cover your costs. 3.It should be focused to all the public regardless of their background. Made available to businesses ,schools, colleges, universities as part of the establishments diversification program. You have organisations such as Basics of Sikhi , Rajoana TV , Sikh Network etc.. who are doing a brillant job of explaining about sikhi. Tap in to them , make it a collective journey as you may find , they may already have a structure , resources in place , they just need a proper online presence. Reach out to the Sangat who have gyan about Sikhi  via social media and Gurudawara , as there are many Scholars out their. Why is Basics of Sikhi successful , because they keep it simple , easy to understand and follow.  As a parent one of the biggest hurdles for kids is speaking punjabi. Having dialogue with their parents/grandparents . My younger one , hardly speaks punjabi , but what I have found is sikh stories helps a lot. May be have online live sessions where sangat speak punjabi , general punjabi so at least they can particpate in conversations with the elder generation.  
    • wjkk wjkf ji you are a daughter of Sri Guru Gobind singh ji. you are on a right track and doing good job please don't use the word Pappi for yourself! chardi kla!
    • Mediterranean or Greek Food - Veggie Gyros, Gemista, any food or snack with Hummus Italian - Pasta (non-egg), Italian authentic Thin crust pizza with olive oil and less cheese Mexican - Burritos South Indian - Iddli/Sambar. Dosa with their cocunut chutney  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use