Help with Punjabi

Guest guest

I am from a place with few sikhs so my Punjabi is not strong I wanted to ask how to know when to end words in masculine or feminine way bolda is masculine boldi is feminine 

and what about saying after Si (past tense) with gi/ga or is this slang.. and how to know when to use gi or ga

thank 

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh

Don't worry about how other people say words.....just say them the way your parents / grandparents say them. Languages can only survive and prosper if and when they're allowed to develop organically. In that respect, Punjabi is being stifled because some people absolutely insist that the majha dialect is the only proper / correct one to use. That's rubbish. Go to London, Birmingham, Vancouver or among the Pakistanis in Glasgow and you'll find the Doaba words are the proper ones to use. Go to Toronto and you'll find the Malwai words are the right ones to use. Go to New York and you'll find the Multani / labana habit of using a malwai / majha hybrid is the proper dialect to use.Go to the Sikh communities in Bristol, Manchester or Portsmouth and you'll find the Sialkot dialect of majha is the right one to use. It's called mother tongue, not Mrs Grewal tongue or Mrs Sidhu tongue. Say the words the way your mother and father say them....not how others in the community say them.

and what about saying after Si (past tense) with gi/ga or is this slang

There is no such thing has slang. Yesterday's slang is today's language. That's how languages (that have the power to survive and prosper) develop. For example, our term 'Goodbye' was the shortened slang word centuries ago for 'God be with you'. If, at that time, English also had the type of people that Punjabi now has, with people insisting that only one regional dialect is the correct one, then English would have died a long time ago. That's the fate that awaits Punjab. Forget what anyone else tells you.....say the words the way your mother says them.

These are minor things keep going after practice they will correct themselves. Try to read Gurbani, simple stories for kids, novels, newspapers and eventually poetry. Just translate word by word using something like the mahan kosh pdf or shabdkosh.com and then you will find the words repeating and coming back again and again. Learn to type in unicode Punjabi as well that will help your research. 

This is one of the best book because it goes into details for beginners as well as Punjabi reader level 1 and Punjabi reader level 2 by Ved:

https://www.amazon.com/Colloquial-Panjabi-Complete-Course-Beginners/dp/1138958611/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540921896&sr=8-1&keywords=colloquial+panjabi

Thank u for the replies, but I know punjabi but confuse the endings of words with masculine or feminine forms. Maybe I explained it bad ( english is not my first language) 

For example.., if I am a male and want to say something is quite difficult i Say it's kaafi okhi right . I say okh(i) because kaafi ends with -i right. this is my only problem  i get confused as we say Punjabi oundi but for a man we say Punjabi bolda, why isnt it Punjabi boldi or punjabi ounda ? 

sorry for my explainings