Guest Singh

Marrying someone with the same last name as nanikay

Guest Singh

So I’ve been introduced to someone that has the same last name as my moms maiden name.  I’ve always thought that this was frowned upon but everybody around me feels it’s not a big deal.  Any thoughts? 

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Guest ASingh

A kind of a similar question can the bride and groom nanke surnames be the same if they want to marry?

Quite a pity no body answered the above Singh's query 

I hope mine gets answered 

Guest Guest

The reason elders did this was because of genetic variation in the off spring, personally living outside of india these things don't matter, a Singh marries a Kaur simple as that. 

Guest Asingh

91 views but seems nobody is interested in answering

I have heard people marrying with same nanke surnames now a days but is it correct ethically or religiously or medically. when bride and groom are not relatives but the nanke surnames are same now is this correct ?

Guest Sorrow

No you should not marry a girl from your mother's side because it would be likemarrying a cousin sister. In Punjabi it is called "vutta satta" - meaning when your mother married your father it was a acceptable rista but if you now marry a girl from your mum's side it will be almost like an "exchange." It is difficult to explain but if I was you I would not marry anyone with the same surname as my mum's maiden or dad's (own) surname. 

To avoid incest (ultimate problem) dobt marry anyone that has the same surname as your mum's maiden and your own surname.

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh

It's not a 'religious' thing as such and not strictly 'cultural' either. It's common sense. The answer to your question then depends almost entirely on how big your clan is. If, for example, your clan is something like Dosanjh, Bassi or Basra then, even though they may come from different villages you can be sure that they all share the same great great grandfather. If, on the other hand, it is one of the bigger clans such as Dhaliwal, Bhullar or Sidhu then there is less chance of some recent blood mixing. The common sense answer then, is 'no'........marrying someone from your nanke is akin to marrying your kin.

NOBODY wanted to answered cuz yeh fellas seems to be living in 1800s. Broooo this aint matter anymore.

and when did castes came into sikhi ? man you are in a philosophical forum..... 

Edited by Amit12

Are they desi?  Most desis have the same last names, and I'm not talking singh.  I think of all the desis I met either they had the surname patel or gupta.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:44 AM, Guest Singh said:

So I’ve been introduced to someone that has the same last name as my moms maiden name.  I’ve always thought that this was frowned upon but everybody around me feels it’s not a big deal.  Any thoughts? 

well ... are you related ...?

Guest Asingh
6 hours ago, Amit12 said:

NOBODY wanted to answered cuz yeh fellas seems to be living in 1800s. Broooo this aint matter anymore.

and when did castes came into sikhi ? man you are in a philosophical forum..... 

Ya then go ahead and marry your own sister then if it ain't matter its not about caste its about not having mentally challenged kids or kids with medical anomalies we all sikhs have caste kshatri or khalsai caste (khalsa meri jaat ar paat ) and then we have misls and misls are not castes. But surnames have been recognised since gurusahibs times its how ppl recognize each other surnames can be egotistically used to define caste which most ppl do but these are 2 different things dont brainwashed by missionary parchar you will find n no of historical references of Singhs who did seva of the panth ex sardar jassa singh ahluwalia sardar jassa singh ramgarhia sardar sham singh attari bhangi misl sardars sardar rattan singh ji bhangu sardar hari singh nalwa and during gurusahibs times bhai nandlal goya and many more even guru gobind singh gives and account of their kul but it doesnt mean its castism do you mean to say all these were indulged in castism? Like the brother below says you don't want to do sutta vutta as it might lead to incest and may be a medical anomalie child why would you want to do that ?

On 11/27/2018 at 5:01 AM, Guest Sorrow said:

No you should not marry a girl from your mother's side because it would be likemarrying a cousin sister. In Punjabi it is called "vutta satta" - meaning when your mother married your father it was a acceptable rista but if you now marry a girl from your mum's side it will be almost like an "exchange." It is difficult to explain but if I was you I would not marry anyone with the same surname as my mum's maiden or dad's (own) surname. 

To avoid incest (ultimate problem) dobt marry anyone that has the same surname as your mum's maiden and your own surname.

Thanks brother and thank you all for great advise

It really depends on what your cultural  background is.. if it Jat then you are supposed to avoid both you mother's and your grandmother and grandfather's surname. However it all depends on how far your villages are to each other in Punjab. The way villages were founded in the old days were that a son would separate from his family and move a few miles away to found his own village. He would take some 'laagis' or workers from the so-called lower castes with him and over time his sons would marry girls from other villages far away and his daughters would marry boys in far off villages and move there. After a few hundred years there would be hundreds of the original founder's descendants  populating the original village. Some of these descendants would then found other villages some distance away and thus you would get clusters of villages with the same surname. The same would be case with the laagis because the descendants of the laagis would also move into the new founded villages. So this is the reason why persons of the same surname shouldn't be marrying. However if say your village is in Ludhiana and you want to marry a girl of the same surname whose village is in Patiala then I don't see that as a problem. You probably are related but over many hundreds of years ago and because over the last few hundred years there has been no mixing of genes then you probably share less genes than most people marrying someone of a different surname.  You are worried about genetic issues then you can get a test done which will show if you both share genes due to close kinship which might lead to genetic problems for your kids. 

We are also finding an amritdhari girl for me, and we also keep in mind the our surname and naanka surnames should not match. ( but some people don’t consider this as an issue as well)

On 11/30/2018 at 10:20 PM, Guest Asingh said:

Ya then go ahead and marry your own sister then if it ain't matter its not about caste its about not having mentally challenged kids or kids with medical anomalies.

lol, really ? Where did i say marry your sisters/cousins ?

and  How does marrying someone with same Surname as nankey make your kids mentally challenged ? XD

Edited by Amit12
forgot to mention something

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• Very interesting it's just used a lot by others like the sun disk of Egypt etc. Have not seen it myself used in Sikhi before today.
    • This was a common motif/symbol in Sikhi and is still utilised by the Dal Panth. The Surya or Suraj is a reference to the dynasty (Suryavanshi) which Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji and therefore the Khalsa Panth belongs to as mentioned in Bachittar Natak and other texts. ਜਾਂ ਦਿਨ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਛਕਤ ਯਹਿ, ਰਹਤ ਨ ਪਿਛਲੀ ਜਾਤਿ । On that day when you take Amrit [Khandey Di Pahul], the commandment is that you do not have a previous Caste. ਜ੍ਯੋਂ ਭ੍ਰਿੰਗੀ ਹ੍ਵੈ ਕੀਟ ਤੈ, ਤ੍ਯੋਂ ਸਿਖ ਹ੍ਵੈ ਗੁਰੁ ਜਾਤਿ ॥੨੪॥ In the same way a Bhringi, which transforms a [low] insect into a beautiful butterfly, a Sikh turns [beautiful] and adopts the Gurus Caste. ਸੂਰਜ ਬੰਸੀ ਦਸਮ ਗੁਰੁ, ਛੱਤ੍ਰੀ ਭਏ ਪ੍ਰਸਿੱਧ । The Tenth Guru is from the Suraj Bans (Surya Vansh Lineage), the famous Kshatriya caste. ਯਾਹੀਂ ਤੇ ਸਭਿ ਖਾਲਸਾ, ਛੱਤ੍ਰੀ ਬਰਣ ਅਬਿੱਧ ॥੨੫॥ In this way all the Khalsa turn into one of Kshastriya. [Naveen Panth Prakash, pg. 1581, Vol. 3]     ^ a Surajmukhi emblem being carried with Guru Sahibs entourage.     ^ The same emblem being used by the Nihangs today     ^ On the hilt of a Sikh Shastar     ^ A battle standard from the Sikh Empire with a Surya   ^ Surya logo   Gurbar Akaal!
    • Interesting there is sun emblem on the shield 
    • right veerji , I meant attachment to worldly affairs , btw which site / app you use for quoting gurbani 
    • Didn't know we were allowed to have Tombs 

Important Information

Terms of Use