Looks over heart

Singh1989

I dont know....i think looking for a good-looking person as a daughter-in-law is good. Because you are more likely to have good-looking children, and it will be easier to marry them off. Plus in arranged marriages, we need some way to weed out bad genes. In the west, love marriages ensure, only the ppl with good looks/triats get married and pass on their genes due to mating selection. In arranged marriages, everyone gets married, so the bad genes continue in our society. I think tall ppl should marry tall ppl, so that we have more tall ppl in our community. 

Ofc it is too bad for bad looking people, but in the future, there will be less and less of the bad looking ppl. Ofc, diversity is important which means having ppl with bad looks, because they might have genes lacking in other types of ppl. 

5 minutes ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

I dont know....i think looking for a good-looking person as a daughter-in-law is good. Because you are more likely to have good-looking children, and it will be easier to marry them off. Plus in arranged marriages, we need some way to weed out bad genes. In the west, love marriages ensure, only the ppl with good looks/triats get married and pass on their genes due to mating selection. In arranged marriages, everyone gets married, so the bad genes continue in our society. I think tall ppl should marry tall ppl, so that we have more tall ppl in our community. 

Ofc it is too bad for bad looking people, but in the future, there will be less and less of the bad looking ppl. Ofc, diversity is important which means having ppl with bad looks, because they might have genes lacking in other types of ppl. 

best looking offspring have usually come from a mix of OK looking parents , plenty of beautiful women married and produced plain or worse kids look at most sportsmen, actors families ...

My two cents is that at least it matters if they're not atheist over looks (also not muslim).  For me personally a girl has to be a few other things before I consider her something, and looks isn't the top priority.  They more or less have to allow me to be a Sikh and believe in God (not Waheguru in name because she is still believing in Him no-matter the name), be able to talk above he said/she said and celebrity garbage, and be above average physically fit, then looks IN THAT ORDER.

I am curious if there is anything in any granth that specifically addresses placing piety of a woman over looks. 

edit: is dasmeet a punjabi girl name?  a girl at the BK near my gurdwara has this name and is desi but doesn't have a kara.  I want to talk to her.

I think a lot of the things we desire actualy come from pressure and brain washing from family and culture. I honestly think if I were to leave my family behind and move far away where I don't know anyone I would be a better person and a better sikh. 

My family is full of very beautiful women, one of my cousins was even offered a place in miss punjaban contest when she was studying. When you grow around people like that you feel a lot of pressure to live to the expectations. I know if I marry someone not so attractive they will tear her down. 

I honestly think I would be a lot different if I was around good sikhs.

On 11/21/2018 at 1:34 AM, namespace said:

My two cents is that at least it matters if they're not atheist over looks (also not muslim).  For me personally a girl has to be a few other things before I consider her something, and looks isn't the top priority.  They more or less have to allow me to be a Sikh and believe in God (not Waheguru in name because she is still believing in Him no-matter the name), be able to talk above he said/she said and celebrity garbage, and be above average physically fit, then looks IN THAT ORDER.

I am curious if there is anything in any granth that specifically addresses placing piety of a woman over looks. 

edit: is dasmeet a punjabi girl name?  a girl at the BK near my gurdwara has this name and is desi but doesn't have a kara.  I want to talk to her.

We do have a lot of tales/sakhis warning not to marry with a huge age difference. Like marrying a girl with an old rich dude. Im sure the old rich dude married for beauty so...

The tales r in dasam granth. In charitropakhyan. The whole premise of charitropakhyan is that a king loved his wife. She was beautiful and gave him a son. Then she died and he was sad until he saw.the orrisa kings daughter. She was beautiful and looked like his wife. He was old yet he still married her. But the wife had a crush on his son. She tried to entice him, but the son turned her down. Saying u r my mother. In anger the wife lied to the king that the son tried to force her and the king arrested the son.  The mantri/vizeer knew the son was innocent. So he told the raja stories abt how women use wiles/charitars to manipulate ppl. Then those stories r mentioned. In the end, i think the raja frees his son. 

1 minute ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Both parents have to be good looking. Not just the wife. 

gisele and tom brady= average/plain looking kids

tomcruise + wife = plain daughter

denzel + wife nice looking = kids ok looking

yep I agree that beyonce didn't save her kids from looking as messed up as her hubby, or whitney /bobby ...

elvis was good looking but wife ok =daughter really stunning

guess the dad being good looking changes the equation majorly , but overegging the mix doesn't mean good looking kids .

mix genetic groups tend to produce better looking kids (guess it's something about dominant genes of both sets)