Nitnem

Premi5

Having listened to some katha over time, I understand that we should all try to do the 5 Bani in morning, and Rehraas in evening and Kirtan Sohila before sleep.

All the Bani have to some extent (but not exclusively), their own purpose/meaning for why we should do them

I understand Chaupai Sahib helps with 'protection' throughout the day; that Anand Sahib helps for peace of mind;  Kirtan Sohila is for protection overnight and for protection when we die.

Can anyone summarise more about why we should do the other Bani, and what we would lack in our lives if we missed any of the individual Bani in our routine?

9 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

Can anyone summarise more about why we should do the other Bani, and what we would lack in our lives if we missed any of the individual Bani in our routine?

I'm not sure if I can answer your question exactly but I remember hearing the purpose and structure of Nitnem in Katha:

Japji Sahib - explains who/what Akaal Purkh is, the nature

Jaap Sahib - Ustat of Akaal Purkh

Tva Prasad Saviye - upon hearing the Ustat of Akaal Purkh, the greatness, one is overcome with Bairaag

Chaupai Sahib - upon feeling/realising this Bairaag (and our position in this Sansaar), a Benti is needed

Anand Sahib - This one is self-explanatory when the above is taken into account

From this we can see how one Bani leads on to the next, and how it creates the frame of mind a Gursikh should have.

Sorry I couldn't provide more detail.

Gurbar Akaal!

This is quite interesting what you posted, not heard if it that way. 

But not clear to me how Anand Sahib Ji follows on from Chaupai Sahib Ji. 

And can you share your knowledge in Rehraas Sahib Ji please? 

17 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

I'm not sure if I can answer your question exactly but I remember hearing the purpose and structure of Nitnem in Katha:

Japji Sahib - explains who/what Akaal Purkh is, the nature

Jaap Sahib - Ustat of Akaal Purkh

Tva Prasad Saviye - upon hearing the Ustat of Akaal Purkh, the greatness, one is overcome with Bairaag

Chaupai Sahib - upon feeling/realising this Bairaag (and our position in this Sansaar), a Benti is needed

Anand Sahib - This one is self-explanatory when the above is taken into account

From this we can see how one Bani leads on to the next, and how it creates the frame of mind a Gursikh should have.

Sorry I couldn't provide more detail.

Gurbar Akaal!

19 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Having listened to some katha over time, I understand that we should all try to do the 5 Bani in morning, and Rehraas in evening and Kirtan Sohila before sleep.

All the Bani have to some extent (but not exclusively), their own purpose/meaning for why we should do them

I understand Chaupai Sahib helps with 'protection' throughout the day; that Anand Sahib helps for peace of mind;  Kirtan Sohila is for protection overnight and for protection when we die.

that protection and peace of mind stuff is subjective. missing links and all that, if youre looking for what to do with this bani and what this or that bani does. theres no answer

5 hours ago, Premi5 said:

This is quite interesting what you posted, not heard if it that way. 

But not clear to me how Anand Sahib Ji follows on from Chaupai Sahib Ji. 

And can you share your knowledge in Rehraas Sahib Ji please? 

From what I recall about Anand Sahib...so when we do the benti (Chaupai Sahib), one realises the Divine Love within but also the prem Satguru has. The individual is assured that by coming under Satguru's Sharan and following the path of Gursikhi, all their affairs will be resolved. Through doing the Panj Baniyaan our Prem, Sharda, and Bhaavna is increased...and we should realise how forunate we are that we have actually have Gurbani and that Maharaaj has already done Kirpa. In this alone, there is a sense of Anand, but also in the wider context (given what's contained in the previous 4 Bani's and now in Anand Sahib) we again realise that Satguru can lead us to infinite bliss...Anand.

Hope that makes sense.

My knowledge on Rehraas Sahib is textbook, I will get back to you ji.

On 11/11/2018 at 6:50 PM, Premi5 said:

all 5 are used to make amrit ,

all five replenish that effect on a daily basis ,

all five together are your shield against Kalyug's bad effects

just as leaving one of the panj piarey out stops the representation of Guru ji's body (Guru Panth), leaving nitnem banian out stops it being Guru ji's respected rehit , what is important to Him above us as individuals .

Japji Sahib resets your focus , and reminds you of the steps needed to achieve mission

Jaap Sahib reconnects you to the bismaad of Akal Purakh's attributes/action - gives you freedom from Moh 

Tav Prasad Sawaiyae shows the emptiness of worldy position and image  - breaks the back of ahankar

Kabio Bach Benti Chaupai asks lovingly for help  from Akal Purakh connects us to that knowledge that Guru ji is always angsang

Anand Sahib shows us how to operate , how to be in this world , how to have sat, santokh and vichar in our daily lives .

without any one of these we lose an element of the gunns we supposed to cultivate , and invite the displeasure of our Guru ji  - is it worth the risk ?