Buddism & Hindusim Thriving in West

Big_Tera

Anyone notice how these two faiths are booming in the west. 

In every home there are pictures and ornaments of buddha. So many people are into the whole yoga spirituality of Hinduism. 

People in the west love the spirituality aspect of these dharmic faiths compared to the rigid doctrine of Christianity.

I know so many Christians that say they much prefer Indian faiths then their own. As they can connect with it more. 

We as Indians should be proud to be one of the dharmic faiths and have unity amongst us.  Together we make up 25% of the world population. 

You brought up this same exact point in the thread you made a couple of weeks ago titled "What puts people off becoming Sikhs".

26 minutes ago, Big_Tera said:

Anyone notice how these two faiths are booming in the west. 

In every home there are pictures and ornaments of buddha. So many people are into the whole yoga spirituality of Hinduism. 

People in the west love the spirituality aspect of these dharmic faiths compared to the rigid doctrine of Christianity.

I know so many Christians that say they much prefer Indian faiths then their own. As they can connect with it more. 

We as Indians should be proud to be one of the dharmic faiths and have unity amongst us.  Together we make up 25% of the world population. 

I think with Buddhism and partially Hinduism it is this new era of people talking about mental well-being and mindfulness, mental health, spirituality etc. And the things is this is all in Sikhi with a pure message.

We haven't taught it in schools, no one thinks about a Sikh meditating, japping naam, doing Kirtan. In schools they literally say these lot keep their hair 5ks and wear turbans.

Many Young Christians have a interesting approach to their religion though. I know this Christian Jamaican girl who hates the idea of religion and believes in spirituality and creating a personal relationship with god, she says the light of god is within us and its important that one becomes a ambassador of god through their faith, morals and conduct. She believes god is love and that one needs love in their heart to know god. You can't have arrogance in your heart. She also covers her head when she goes church out of respect for god. She actually loves god! and has absolute faith in god. You should see her eyes light up when talking about god and gods love lol,  She says god loves everyone and anyone can go to heaven. She's really pretty as well lol    nothing more attractive than a young woman with faith, a faith that she strongly defends.      i wish i could meet a Sikh girl like her!         Me and her can spend a good hour talking about faith, god and all that stuff.    She hasn't got traditional Christian views but her belief/faith is so similar to Sikhi   

They're not Buddhists or Hindus in any meaningful sense of the definition. It's just a hip way of poorly appropriating an aesthetic to seem "hella spiritual".

Main weakpoints of Hinduism and Buddhism that Sikhi doesn't have is the conscious formalization of SIkhi as a religious Panth. That's why they are falling apart in the diaspora.

The problem with Sikhs right now is losing our numbers due to accelerated modernization with an already stunted Sikh population. The big religions are already huge, but they can "afford" to lose the masses that they are. If we lose what we have, it will be tough to recover in the future due to the trend of getting absorbed into westernism.

they're not converting into Buddist/Hindu's but incorporating the yoga/mediation aspect of the faiths. The Hindu status is used as a symbol of meditation and house ornaments and not for worship.  Most young Hindu;s in the west don't even care about Hinduism so its on the decline in the west IMO 

4 hours ago, Singh559 said:

They're not Buddhists or Hindus in any meaningful sense of the definition. It's just a hip way of poorly appropriating an aesthetic to seem "hella spiritual".

Main weakpoints of Hinduism and Buddhism that Sikhi doesn't have is the conscious formalization of SIkhi as a religious Panth. That's why they are falling apart in the diaspora.

The problem with Sikhs right now is losing our numbers due to accelerated modernization with an already stunted Sikh population. The big religions are already huge, but they can "afford" to lose the masses that they are. If we lose what we have, it will be tough to recover in the future due to the trend of getting absorbed into westernism.

I think part of the reason we are losing people as you put it is because the most expressive form of sikhi in the west apes abrahamic religions in trying to be dogmatists and absolutist.. We forget that sikhi is Tisarpanth. It belongs to everyone 

12 hours ago, puzzled said:

Many Young Christians have a interesting approach to their religion though. I know this Christian Jamaican girl who hates the idea of religion and believes in spirituality and creating a personal relationship with god, she says the light of god is within us and its important that one becomes a ambassador of god through their faith, morals and conduct. She believes god is love and that one needs love in their heart to know god. You can't have arrogance in your heart. She also covers her head when she goes church out of respect for god. She actually loves god! and has absolute faith in god. You should see her eyes light up when talking about god and gods love lol,  She says god loves everyone and anyone can go to heaven. She's really pretty as well lol    nothing more attractive than a young woman with faith, a faith that she strongly defends.      i wish i could meet a Sikh girl like her!         Me and her can spend a good hour talking about faith, god and all that stuff.    She hasn't got traditional Christian views but her belief/faith is so similar to Sikhi   

that's why a lot of similar christian find a home in sikhi because the faith matches their soul's feelings/pull. Remember Veer ji Ivan