DASAM BANI STEEK

Guest Amit Singh

Guest Amit Singh

Where can i find CHARITROPAKHYAN STEEK ? all the verse to verse translations that i have of DASAM GRANTH are excluding CHARITTROPAKHYAN..... people need to stop excluding Half of DASAM GRANTH from steeks. 

On 11/18/2018 at 10:30 AM, Guest Amit Singh said:

Where can i find CHARITROPAKHYAN STEEK ? all the verse to verse translations that i have of DASAM GRANTH are excluding CHARITTROPAKHYAN..... people need to stop excluding Half of DASAM GRANTH from steeks. 

You want to go to sikhawareness.com for that. They have an ongoing discussion of the various chariters going on. Panjabi translations are also often included. 

Hope this helps. 

13 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

You want to go to sikhawareness.com for that. They have an ongoing discussion of the various chariters going on. Panjabi translations are also often included. 

Hope this helps. 

Is sikhawareness.com better than sikhsangat.com?

3 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Depends on what you want. There is much more of an emphasis on source materials and literature there. 

By this he means the posters over there take the imagination of painters as the cold hard facts as how gursikhs used to dress and behave in history.

The next century Sikhs will be saying sikhawareness posters were supporters of  Bibi Harnaam Kaur from UK as she was their Gursikh model.  All this info would be obtained from harnaam kaur's photos.

On 11/21/2018 at 9:39 AM, Akalifauj said:

By this he means the posters over there take the imagination of painters as the cold hard facts as how gursikhs used to dress and behave in history.

The next century Sikhs will be saying sikhawareness posters were supporters of  Bibi Harnaam Kaur from UK as she was their Gursikh model.  All this info would be obtained from harnaam kaur's photos.

That's a really intelligent synopsis of everything that goes on there.........

*DELETED - Please mind your language*. You are obviously crying because some surviving Sikh art doesn't conform to your own preconceived ideas of the past. 

Waahhhhhhh!!!!

On 11/20/2018 at 8:09 PM, Guest anonymous said:

So no one has translated Charitropakhyan yet ? 

thats literally half of DASAM GRANTH man. 

A sort of translation has been attempted by the late Bindra (some of which is posted on SA under the corresponding chariter). It isn't brilliant (I'm being kind I guess) and he has his own biases (his apparent sexual conservatism seems to exclude the idea that CP could be connected to Guru Gobind SIngh Ji from what I understand?) but it is pioneering in nature and gives us a jumping off point. 

I've said the following a few times, and I'll say it again now: I DO NOT believe that solely relying on translations is the way to go when interfacing with Gurbani or puratan Sikh literature. Sure, they can be handy, but they should only really be tools to be used to help us access the original texts. Nowhere is this more apparent than with CP. (I also include Panjabi translations of CP in this btw). Personally I believe CP is an infinitely more complex and nuanced work than any surface, literal translation would suggest.