Is Sikhism a religion?

mahandulai

Is Sikhism a religion?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Is Sikhism a religion?

• Yes
    • No

Not really    sikhi is about absolute faith. I see it as more spiritual than religious. Religion is like Islam and Judaism where they go even far as how often to cut your nails, what sex positions are forbidden, what clothes to wear, how short to keep your pubes, what foot to step into the bath with, how to wash your hands etc   that is religion    religion is more about the rituals and practices    spirituality is all about the within, that's why there is so much emphasis on medtation and simran in sikhi.   

47 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Not really    sikhi is about absolute faith. I see it as more spiritual than religious. Religion is like Islam and Judaism where they go even far as how often to cut your nails, what sex positions are forbidden, what clothes to wear, how short to keep your pubes, what foot to step into the bath with, how to wash your hands etc   that is religion    religion is more about the rituals and practices    spirituality is all about the within, that's why there is so much emphasis on medtation and simran in sikhi.   

I agree with you fully. with this kind of rules, places more focus on following the correct protocol for the rules rather than actually praying.  

2 hours ago, puzzled said:

I don't see sikhi as a religion, religion is bs    religion leads to superstitions and spread fear.   Muslim and Jewish women aren't even allowed to show their hair in case their men get exited and lose control.  That's religion for you ... 

How would you translate the word dharm into English.

The word religion is not a bad term.  Other religions have subjectively corrupted the word as you provided an example.  Sri Guru Nanak dev ji used the word Veda as to refer to knowledge of the divine in Gurbani even though the Brahmin used the Veda as a weapon to suppress the so called lower caste. The image of the turban was held by kings who slaughtered people and stole their belongings.  Yet that didn't stop the Gurus from tying a turban. 

Western philosophers have created this debate of religion vs. Spirituality.  Sikhi uses both words to define the Guru's path.