Do you believe marriages between same-sex couples is valid in Sikh Dharam?

Sewadar

Do you believe marriages between same-sex couples is valid in Sikh Dharam?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe marriages between same-sex couples is valid in Sikh Dharam?

• Yes
    • No

10 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

it's not that we hate it , but we hate the idea that the people have zero intention to follow the Guru and do a sham of Anand Karaj  much like those atheist/other faith people . it's insulting frankly, better to go get a court marriage .

Hi, I totally agree with that likewise, everyone has different patterns of thinking. I don’t think I’ll ever think to get married at a Gurdwara, it’s insulting. What I do have a problem is, if someone stops an LGBT person from entering a Gurdwara for prayer (suppose it happens). I’m quite strong when it comes to my relationship with Waheguru and I feel like I have moderate lust. But I notice some people I’ve met whom say Gay people are hyper sexual, my opinion to that is they’re in denial of there sexuality and need professional help. This is so interesting, because I’d never have thought this Sikh forum would touch such a topic ?

As mentioned previously about sikhnet, above indian news stories, was also posted by Sikhnet website. They promote it very much.

Certainly not allowed and will never be and any such relationship disturbs the balance of kudrat. However, we certainly do not hate them regardless of whatever they do. 

1 hour ago, GuestSikh06 said:

As a Gay person myself, I would follow the point of a marriage being between a man-woman in a Gurdwara and fully respect that in context. In terms of LGBT people being lustful/sinful, it all depends on your own thoughts on the situation. For example, say if you met me and you came to know I was Gay from my own words, then If you think I'm sinful then all you'll see me is being a sinful individual. At the end of the day for me personally, it's limited to an orientation rather than a lifestyle because it's part of my own build-up and I don't need to push it onto anyone because it's a personal matter that I should only reflect on myself. When it comes to situations about it being in a Gurdwara then I can agree it becomes an issue. I would love to answer any questions and I'm sorry for offending anyone on here as I've noticed some people simply despise it. 

I have nothing against homosexual people, what i don't like is when people bend maryada and tradition to suit their needs. Your faith is between you and waheguru, the fact that you are gay does not make your relationship any weaker with waheguru. 

And i also don't agree with how innocent primary school kids are being paraded around in gay pride events organized by the school. 

42 minutes ago, puzzled said:

I have nothing against homosexual people, what i don't like is when people bend maryada and tradition to suit their needs. Your faith is between you and waheguru, the fact that you are gay does not make your relationship any weaker with waheguru. 

And i also don't agree with how innocent primary school kids are being paraded around in gay pride events organized by the school. 

Hi, I like your opinion on the fact that it's the connection between you and Waheguru and that an orientation does not depend on the likelihood of that relationship. When you talk about people bending maryada, do you mean Gursikh LGBT people? I'm sorry I'm just a bit confused about that. And, what made you think that education on Gay rights takes the innocence out of children, I genuinely would love to know why just to understand. In my opinion, it would broaden the child's knowledge of the types of people in this world against any bias. It's also to create a safe space for let's say an LGBT child so that they know they feel welcomed because it's not necessarily an easy thing to deal with by yourself. However, If parents do get upset about this there should be a letter to ask for permission for this kind of education (personal preference), I just think it'd confuse the child even more frankly speaking lol. I know for a fact I'd loved to learn about things like this, as I grew up homophobic until I actually realised I was Gay, that was a big game changer for me :)     

2 hours ago, GuestSikh06 said:

Hi, I like your opinion on the fact that it's the connection between you and Waheguru and that an orientation does not depend on the likelihood of that relationship. When you talk about people bending maryada, do you mean Gursikh LGBT people? I'm sorry I'm just a bit confused about that. And, what made you think that education on Gay rights takes the innocence out of children, I genuinely would love to know why just to understand. In my opinion, it would broaden the child's knowledge of the types of people in this world against any bias. It's also to create a safe space for let's say an LGBT child so that they know they feel welcomed because it's not necessarily an easy thing to deal with by yourself. However, If parents do get upset about this there should be a letter to ask for permission for this kind of education (personal preference), I just think it'd confuse the child even more frankly speaking lol. I know for a fact I'd loved to learn about things like this, as I grew up homophobic until I actually realised I was Gay, that was a big game changer for me :)     

yes brother, our creator exists within everyone, just because someone has a different orientation does not mean that waheguru has a lesser or smaller presence within him. Homosexual people have to control their lust just like heterosexual people do, at the end of the day lust for flesh is still lust regardless of gender. Our body is a like a shrine which houses gods presence within, that's why its important to respect our bodies.This can be hard because as people we are vain and like to look nice and are sexual beings so we look at others lustfully.  what i mean by bending maryada is how people are now changing anand karaj maryada to suit them, interfaith anand karaj is one example, and just like that i don't agree with gay anand karaj because that too is bending maryada to suit them.

i just don't agree with young primary school kids being being introduced to different sexual preferences, they are innocent little children. children at that age don't even know what sex is let alone corrupt their little minds and introduce them to different sexualities. instead its better teaching them about equality of different races etc    they are only little kids. 

but yeah i guess at secondary level they can be educated about different lifestyles etc but when it comes to taking part in parades and stuff then it should be the parents choice. 

i hope i haven't offended you in any way ...

1 hour ago, puzzled said:

yes brother, our creator exists within everyone, just because someone has a different orientation does not mean that waheguru has a lesser or smaller presence within him. Homosexual people have to control their lust just like heterosexual people do, at the end of the day lust for flesh is still lust regardless of gender. Our body is a like a shrine which houses gods presence within, that's why its important to respect our bodies.This can be hard because as people we are vain and like to look nice and are sexual beings so we look at others lustfully.  what i mean by bending maryada is how people are now changing anand karaj maryada to suit them, interfaith anand karaj is one example, and just like that i don't agree with gay anand karaj because that too is bending maryada to suit them.

i just don't agree with young primary school kids being being introduced to different sexual preferences, they are innocent little children. children at that age don't even know what sex is let alone corrupt their little minds and introduce them to different sexualities. instead its better teaching them about equality of different races etc    they are only little kids. 

but yeah i guess at secondary level they can be educated about different lifestyles etc but when it comes to taking part in parades and stuff then it should be the parents choice. 

i hope i haven't offended you in any way ...

1st paragraph: Yes I totally agree with the lust stuff and especially with social media being on the rise it's hard to not portray and conduct ourselves in an appropriate manner (meaning we're becoming vain as the days go by). Wouldn't you say it's the Gurdwara committee members/Giannis fault who are helping conduct the marriage? The couple simply would be going there to get married so on and so forth.

2nd paragraph: Looking into the whole sex education thing, I remember in primary school we were shown an animated video on intercourse and some of the kids after that came across some inappropriate animated videos which I'm guessing some of you might have an idea of that. And yes, it was in that time frame where everyone started to explore stuff if they had the access. I thought you meant that being LGBT was filth in the first place?! I actually had a secondary sex education as well where they actually brought stuff in to demonstrate what goes on, but I didn't have my own laptop or phone to actually explore more so I guess I'm so lucky in terms of that. Trust me when I say this, in 20 years time the focus won't even be on Gay people only God knows what other orientations there are in any shape or form (even being Gay I'm saying this!!!). 

No offence taken lol, I try to stay humble when it comes to topics like this because it's one of those things you'd only understand if you were actually LGBT, so some opinions don't phase me but religion is important to me. If someone offends me, I tell them ''If God is inside everyone, then why should you stretch that extra mile in hurting someone'' (in other words you hurt a part of God, very philosophical if I say so myself :) ). Then again I'm only 18 so I've got loads more to learn and I'm willing to learn with a positive mind frame!!

Apart from marriages in a Gurdwara, I don't believe in marriages in convenience, forced marriages, honour killings against LGBT people, bashings, beatings of any nature in the name of izzat etc. 

2 hours ago, GuestSikh06 said:

No offence taken lol, I try to stay humble when it comes to topics like this because it's one of those things you'd only understand if you were actually LGBT, so some opinions don't phase me but religion is important to me. If someone offends me, I tell them ''If God is inside everyone, then why should you stretch that extra mile in hurting someone'' (in other words you hurt a part of God, very philosophical if I say so myself :) ). Then again I'm only 18 so I've got loads more to learn and I'm willing to learn with a positive mind frame!!

Apart from marriages in a Gurdwara, I don't believe in marriages in convenience, forced marriages, honour killings against LGBT people, bashings, beatings of any nature in the name of izzat etc. 

what do u mean by marriages in conveniance?