Can a Sikh marry non-sikh in front of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji?

Sewadar

Can a Sikh marry Non-Sikh?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Can a Sikh marry non-sikh?

• Yes
    • No

Yes, but only if they are both sikh can they marry in ceremony associated with the gurdwara/in front (or literally around) of the Guru.

22 minutes ago, jakare said:

I feel that Amritdhari's can marry non-amritdhari's but in essence if a Sikh (amritdhari or not) has an Anand Karaj with a Non-Sikh doesn't that Non-Sikh then become a Sikh since they will take on the Singh/Kaur last name?

I personally believe the husband or wife can only take a amrit name is they go through amirit, not through marriage.  Remember what happens there.  These questions and that experience is different than the wedding.  

Anand Karaj is a Khalsa Panth approved religious ceremony for Sikhs who have total belief in Guru Granth Sahib as the only temporal and spiritual Guide. The Sikh Reht Maryada direction is clear -

Persons professing faiths other than the Sikh faith cannot be joined in wedlock by Anand Karaj ceremony."
[The Sikh Reht Maryada Article XVIII item (k)]

If you don't believe in the teachings and follow another faith then what is the point in getting married according to another?

For further information -

https://www.sikhmissionarysociety.org/sms/smsarticles/advisorypanel/gurmukhsinghsewauk/mixedmarriagesinsikhism.html

Listen, 2,600 years ago the the prophet of the mazda made up some stuff where you can only marry other zoroastrians.  Look what it got them.  A whole civilization and half of the arabian peninsula down to 150k people.  You can interfaith marry in christianity, islam, and hindi, do you see how many members of them live? They grow.

I also think if you interfaith marry you might be bringing in someone much more interested in the faith (not neccesarily God) than you.  The other thing is sikhi is bleeding at the neck because of females apostatizing in droves.  The panth needs families to come from somewhere. 

2 hours ago, namespace said:

Listen, 2,600 years ago the the prophet of the mazda made up some stuff where you can only marry other zoroastrians.  Look what it got them.  A whole civilization and half of the arabian peninsula down to 150k people.  You can interfaith marry in christianity, islam, and hindi, do you see how many members of them live? They grow.

I also think if you interfaith marry you might be bringing in someone much more interested in the faith (not neccesarily God) than you.  The other thing is sikhi is bleeding at the neck because of females apostatizing in droves.  The panth needs families to come from somewhere. 

anyone marries to a muslim their kids never add to sikhi they become musley , anyone marries to a hindu their kids tend to remain confused and remain milgoba of the two faiths not really secure in true sikhi, and full of veham bharam because of superstitious stuff if not outright atheist.  Any one marrying a christian will struggle for a while but if they give sikhi knowledge will no bitterness towards christians , the official line of people not christian going to hellfire will automatically push their kids' open, compassionate natures to select sikhi above other faiths.

Fact is Guru Sahiban have left things at this point : anand karaj which is the only valis marriage ceremony at the time for a sikh were between sikhs of the guru , For those who argue Khalsa marrying out in the past , the bibi had to follow the Guru too  else as Guru ji explained in the sakhi of the soldier who was converted until you have conjugal rights you remain khalsa , else you become one with the mat of the female , so that's why muslim women are sakat manna as well as other non sikh women. Just look at those singhs of the misl period who followed their own mat rather than gurmat . None of their households survived intact.

In my eyes, if it's ok for Sikh n Non Sikh around SGGS t marry, it is also ok for same sex to marry around SGGS. Hence I vote NO! You may not think it but this is exactly how the world loves to operate "If this is ok that is also ok..." Attitude.

What about atheist sikhs? Like sikhs who are atheist but still go gurdwara, do fireworks on Diwali, take part in nagar kirtan, eat samosas  etc are they allowed ? Because they will feel excluded

And what about sikhs who want interfaith fusion weddings? So anand karaj as well as the religious ceremony of their partner. Sikhs who have interfaith relationships like to keep it neutral and prefer to raise their kids with little flashes of both faiths. A bit like gender neutral but the religion version ...

Non religious, cultural sikhs are actually causing a lot of confusion. Makes my brain hurt. Perhaps we should try to work around it or something 

If I were to marry a non sikh, there are chances, then I would not have anand karaj because that just wouldnt make any sense, but would just have a registry marriage anyway. I'm not really into Punjabi girls tbh, but then I want my kids to be sikhs, marrying a non sikh will result in confused coconut kids, so I will just have to marry a Punjabi. 

Most Sikh brides look like Christmas trees