Do you trust other Sikhs?

puzzled

2 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Look at preSoviet invasion Afghanistan.....

3E4iRiz.jpg

afghanistan-1960-bill-podlich-photograph

Woafghan5.jpg

1950s_Afghanistan_-_Biology_class,_Kabul

Wow it's hard to believe that it's Afghanistan! Afghanistan today is one of the most roughest countries in the world. People still get set on fire alive and stoned to death there. women today aren't allowed to leave their house without a massive blue sheet covering their faces and bodies.

2 minutes ago, puzzled said:

women today aren't allowed to leave their house without a massive blue sheet covering their faces and bodies.

What I find ironic is that it was Sikh-Afghan merchants who were the chief suppliers of burkhas when they became compulsory by the taliban.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. I mean I grew up seeing apnay pretty much running the Off License scene in London a few decades ago. They sort of monopolised selling cigarettes and booze for a while. lol

we four kids went by afghan air to India with my Mum in 1979 and landed in Kabul months before the invasion , I still remember it was so relaxed and friendly compared to Istanbul which was bristling with soldiers with machines guns  . we had a meal at the airport during a short stopover and the cafe owner was very chatty the women working there were very glamourously dressed in western clothes

2 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

What I find ironic is that it was Sikh-Afghan merchants who were the chief suppliers of burkhas when they became compulsory by the taliban.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. I mean I grew up seeing apnay pretty much running the Off License scene in London a few decades ago. They sort of monopolised selling cigarettes and booze for a while. lol

well they were cloth traders mostly if I remember history .

I watched this Saudi movie about this young man and woman trying to be themselves and express themselves against the backdrop of strict religious laws and the religious police. Within the movie were real clips and photos of what even sections of Saudi Arabia were like back in the 70s    there where photos of young Saudis going to the theatre, young men and women interacting, Saudi air hostesses wearing skirts.   Really surprising.

Even Pakistan has hugely changed and become very Islamic and radicalized. Before the 70s Pakistan was like punjab! Maulvis used to be laughed at. Women used to walk around on the roof tops without dupatta. Pakistan was very different. But then paki society started getting Islamic and the mullahs started gaining a grip on society. There is this really good movie called silent water/khamosh pani. It's about how paki society became radicalized under the influence of mullahs who started setting up Islam is schools funded by the Saudis. 

On 11/30/2018 at 6:37 PM, lostconfussedsingh said:

I don't know why sikhs don't get along. Its like the muslims have such brotherhood and the sikhs stab each other in the back.

One side they dream of Khalistan and they do these acts as seen in punjab with the goverment.

A sikh anywhere will never help a sikh i can assure you of that.

All races and creeds but jains do this to eachother.  It all depends on the society but more often than not human nature dictates we abuse eachother.  This is something I am sure the Guru looked down upon but I don't know anything to cite from Him.

6 hours ago, puzzled said:

Came across these photos of Afghan women, I feel sorry for them what kind of life is this? And then you have western born sikh women complaining about not being treated equally, They should try living in afghanistan, two completely different worlds. 

548518b9ca116.jpg

2474348_orig.jpg

bp1.jpg

I look at all your photos and as I meditate on kalistan I believe that this will be another negative.   Women will be treated lower than a goat, just like these muslim nations.  Do not get me wrong I do not support feminism or even women working as they do in the west, but subjugation of people is wrong.  IT IS PLAINLY WRONG!

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh
3 hours ago, namespace said:

Do not get me wrong I do not support feminism or even women working as they do in the west, but subjugation of people is wrong.  IT IS PLAINLY WRONG!

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say. Women working as hard, if not harder than the men, is not only the single greatest thing that has built the great Sikh diaspora across the globe but is also one of the greatest things that defines us Punjabis through antiquity. When Alexander the Great finally reached Punjab after trekking through Europe and Central Asia he wrote his letter to his mother in Greece. In it, in an attempt to describe Punjab, he said he had never encountered a place such as this place before (Punjab) because in this place (Punjab) the women work outside even harder than the men and and are as armed and ready to fight as the men. 

Know your history young fella. Learn who you are. Otherwise, you'll just be plodding along in life blind.

4 hours ago, namespace said:

All races and creeds but jains do this to eachother.  It all depends on the society but more often than not human nature dictates we abuse eachother.  This is something I am sure the Guru looked down upon but I don't know anything to cite from Him.

I look at all your photos and as I meditate on kalistan I believe that this will be another negative.   Women will be treated lower than a goat, just like these muslim nations.  Do not get me wrong I do not support feminism or even women working as they do in the west, but subjugation of people is wrong.  IT IS PLAINLY WRONG!

why would you think that islamic regimes are based on the quranic and 'historical' misogyny whereas if you look at Gurbani and hukamnamey  about how to treat women it is positive - banning cursing, mistreatment, beating/injuring, selling, raping, and killing at any stage of life?

I think if we promoted sikhi values to females all of them would abandon the BS guilt tripping of their previous societies/cultures/religions  for Guru Nanak Dev ji's household. In fact , most of the recent additions to the panth from outside are females on that basis.