Jump to content
puzzled

Do you trust other Sikhs?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Look at preSoviet invasion Afghanistan.....

3E4iRiz.jpg

afghanistan-1960-bill-podlich-photograph

Woafghan5.jpg

1950s_Afghanistan_-_Biology_class,_Kabul

 

Wow it's hard to believe that it's Afghanistan! Afghanistan today is one of the most roughest countries in the world. People still get set on fire alive and stoned to death there. women today aren't allowed to leave their house without a massive blue sheet covering their faces and bodies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
2 minutes ago, puzzled said:

women today aren't allowed to leave their house without a massive blue sheet covering their faces and bodies.

What I find ironic is that it was Sikh-Afghan merchants who were the chief suppliers of burkhas when they became compulsory by the taliban.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. I mean I grew up seeing apnay pretty much running the Off License scene in London a few decades ago. They sort of monopolised selling cigarettes and booze for a while. lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we four kids went by afghan air to India with my Mum in 1979 and landed in Kabul months before the invasion , I still remember it was so relaxed and friendly compared to Istanbul which was bristling with soldiers with machines guns  . we had a meal at the airport during a short stopover and the cafe owner was very chatty the women working there were very glamourously dressed in western clothes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

What I find ironic is that it was Sikh-Afghan merchants who were the chief suppliers of burkhas when they became compulsory by the taliban.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. I mean I grew up seeing apnay pretty much running the Off License scene in London a few decades ago. They sort of monopolised selling cigarettes and booze for a while. lol

well they were cloth traders mostly if I remember history .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched this Saudi movie about this young man and woman trying to be themselves and express themselves against the backdrop of strict religious laws and the religious police. Within the movie were real clips and photos of what even sections of Saudi Arabia were like back in the 70s    there where photos of young Saudis going to the theatre, young men and women interacting, Saudi air hostesses wearing skirts.   Really surprising.

Even Pakistan has hugely changed and become very Islamic and radicalized. Before the 70s Pakistan was like punjab! Maulvis used to be laughed at. Women used to walk around on the roof tops without dupatta. Pakistan was very different. But then paki society started getting Islamic and the mullahs started gaining a grip on society. There is this really good movie called silent water/khamosh pani. It's about how paki society became radicalized under the influence of mullahs who started setting up Islam is schools funded by the Saudis. 

Edited by puzzled

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Came across these photos of Afghan women, I feel sorry for them what kind of life is this? And then you have western born sikh women complaining about not being treated equally, They should try living in afghanistan, two completely different worlds. 

548518b9ca116.jpg

2474348_orig.jpg

bp1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2018 at 6:37 PM, lostconfussedsingh said:

I don't know why sikhs don't get along. Its like the muslims have such brotherhood and the sikhs stab each other in the back.

 

One side they dream of Khalistan and they do these acts as seen in punjab with the goverment.

 

A sikh anywhere will never help a sikh i can assure you of that.

All races and creeds but jains do this to eachother.  It all depends on the society but more often than not human nature dictates we abuse eachother.  This is something I am sure the Guru looked down upon but I don't know anything to cite from Him.

6 hours ago, puzzled said:

Came across these photos of Afghan women, I feel sorry for them what kind of life is this? And then you have western born sikh women complaining about not being treated equally, They should try living in afghanistan, two completely different worlds. 

548518b9ca116.jpg

2474348_orig.jpg

bp1.jpg

I look at all your photos and as I meditate on kalistan I believe that this will be another negative.   Women will be treated lower than a goat, just like these muslim nations.  Do not get me wrong I do not support feminism or even women working as they do in the west, but subjugation of people is wrong.  IT IS PLAINLY WRONG!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh
3 hours ago, namespace said:

  Do not get me wrong I do not support feminism or even women working as they do in the west, but subjugation of people is wrong.  IT IS PLAINLY WRONG!

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say. Women working as hard, if not harder than the men, is not only the single greatest thing that has built the great Sikh diaspora across the globe but is also one of the greatest things that defines us Punjabis through antiquity. When Alexander the Great finally reached Punjab after trekking through Europe and Central Asia he wrote his letter to his mother in Greece. In it, in an attempt to describe Punjab, he said he had never encountered a place such as this place before (Punjab) because in this place (Punjab) the women work outside even harder than the men and and are as armed and ready to fight as the men. 

Know your history young fella. Learn who you are. Otherwise, you'll just be plodding along in life blind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, namespace said:

All races and creeds but jains do this to eachother.  It all depends on the society but more often than not human nature dictates we abuse eachother.  This is something I am sure the Guru looked down upon but I don't know anything to cite from Him.

I look at all your photos and as I meditate on kalistan I believe that this will be another negative.   Women will be treated lower than a goat, just like these muslim nations.  Do not get me wrong I do not support feminism or even women working as they do in the west, but subjugation of people is wrong.  IT IS PLAINLY WRONG!

why would you think that islamic regimes are based on the quranic and 'historical' misogyny whereas if you look at Gurbani and hukamnamey  about how to treat women it is positive - banning cursing, mistreatment, beating/injuring, selling, raping, and killing at any stage of life?

I think if we promoted sikhi values to females all of them would abandon the BS guilt tripping of their previous societies/cultures/religions  for Guru Nanak Dev ji's household. In fact , most of the recent additions to the panth from outside are females on that basis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, namespace said:

Do not get me wrong I do not support feminism or even women working as they do in the west, but subjugation of people is wrong.  IT IS PLAINLY WRONG!

Can you not see how  this statement of yours appears to be seriously self-contradictory? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

why would you think that islamic regimes are based on the quranic and 'historical' misogyny whereas if you look at Gurbani and hukamnamey  about how to treat women it is positive - banning cursing, mistreatment, beating/injuring, selling, raping, and killing at any stage of life?

I think if we promoted sikhi values to females all of them would abandon the BS guilt tripping of their previous societies/cultures/religions  for Guru Nanak Dev ji's household. In fact , most of the recent additions to the panth from outside are females on that basis.

What about the impact of evolutionary psychology on females, as sort of subtly and creatively alluded to in CP. I don't think this is going to go away anytime soon. 

As for many apneean, their development seems to be more a consequence of their individual family, caste background (as well as their own personal susceptibility to outside influences) than any dharmic framework. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest guest

Sheikh Farid was a muslim and Sant Kabir was from a Hindu family.  

My point is a good person is a good person.  You should recognise that whether they are sikh or not.

Meanwhile, it is a little naive to think that all sikhs are good people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2018 at 4:37 AM, Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh said:

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say. Women working as hard, if not harder than the men, is not only the single greatest thing that has built the great Sikh diaspora across the globe but is also one of the greatest things that defines us Punjabis through antiquity. When Alexander the Great finally reached Punjab after trekking through Europe and Central Asia he wrote his letter to his mother in Greece. In it, in an attempt to describe Punjab, he said he had never encountered a place such as this place before (Punjab) because in this place (Punjab) the women work outside even harder than the men and and are as armed and ready to fight as the men. 

Know your history young fella. Learn who you are. Otherwise, you'll just be plodding along in life blind.

 

On 12/7/2018 at 11:29 AM, dallysingh101 said:

Can you not see how  this statement of yours appears to be seriously self-contradictory? 

 

Women working the same jobs as men to in the west is another ploy by whitey to create/import classes that compete over jobs, keeping wages down.   It's plain as day in the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Satnaam - auda Naam sach hai Karta purakh - au sab na da karta hai Nirbhau - au noo kise da darr nahi Nirvair - Au noo kise naal ver nahi Akaal Murat - au di moorat akaal hai Ajuni - au jooni vich nahi auda Saibhang - au da Prakash apne aap taw hoa hai Gurprasad - Guru di Kirpa naal jani da hai Jap - au da naam japo Aad sach - shuru taw sach saroop hai Jugaad sach - jug shuru hoye te sach see Hai bhee sach - hun bhee sach hai Nanak hosi bhee sach - (Guru) Nanak kehnde hai au bhiwik vich vee sach hove ga                        
    • maybe if you call it sikhi instead, we should not be promoting the term sikhism which is a colonial definition. We should use the proper term as sikhi.
    • There's no problem at all. Did the letter say to not eat or to "fast"? If you have to not eat, for whatever legitimate reason, that's not  a problem. The problem would be if you were "fasting" on a religious basis, like showing off how "pure" you are, like some Hindus and Muslims do. We're not supposed to do that.
    • Guest CarrotCake123
      My bibi got a letter saying that 12 hours prior to her hospital appointment at Ealing Hospital she has to fast. I know Sikhs are not allowed to fast so I was abit confused, is fasting allowed for these occasions or no?
    • The strange thing is what were they doing stealing a hair dryer or whatever. The girls hair looked straight enough  LOL
×

Important Information

Terms of Use