does it helps our Sikhi if we do these things ?

Amit12

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:24 AM, Amit12 said:

http://www.sikhawareness.com/topic/19510-30000-jaap-of-a-shabad/

i've never tried this tbh, but need your opinion......

Don't waste your time on opinions.  Read bani….  "jap jap naam tumaro preetam, jap jap naam…..thanh te rog gayee jap jap naam tumaro preetam"

When will the "sikh start doing some self-sikhna(learning) and learn what the guru is instructing him to learn from the shabad and within???

1 hour ago, JUSTAJATT said:

Don't waste your time on opinions.  Read bani….  "jap jap naam tumaro preetam, jap jap naam…..thanh te rog gayee jap jap naam tumaro preetam"

When will the "sikh start doing some self-sikhna(learning) and learn what the guru is instructing him to learn from the shabad and within???

i try reading and contemplating on Bani everyday.... its just a habit that i come here looking for opinions if i have some confusion in my mind.

BTW what do you mean when you say "JAP BANI" ?

does it means Chanting ? or something else ?

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:56 AM, Amit12 said:

i try reading and contemplating on Bani everyday.... its just a habit that i come here looking for opinions if i have some confusion in my mind.

BTW what do you mean when you say "JAP BANI" ?

does it means Chanting ? or something else ?

Until you don't JAP, you won't really get the core depths of sikhi.  I'm not saying this out of ego, but I've been there aroind in cirlces and questioned the same question about "jap"

A gurmukh friend of mine explained it  in reference to japji sahib. In jap bani, we have the gaviyeh and suniyeh quotes. What does "gavieh" mean? Most people will assume to sing, or to sing the praises of. YES that's correct, but Gaviyeh is something we do when we are speaking or uttering something that is NOT in conversation to another person. When it's not a dialogue between two or more people. 

The only time we do this process of uttering words when NOT in conversation is when we are chanting, japing or singing,...be it a singer perfoming on a stage or by himself in the shower. The words spoken are not in some immediate conversation with a fellow.  Get the drift?  

So Jap means to chant, to do Simran, focus attention and mind to the ONE and to recite, repeat his name. Gaviehay also means the same and is NOT specifically aligned to "singing' only.

To sing is not always about performing melody in chorus of a song.  For eg. my youngest keeps singing about the ps4 spiderman for weeks. I say that "din raat ps4 de gaanay gayieh janda" (day and night he keeps singing the ps4 song, although it's not literally a song and he's not singing in melody)  .  Follow me?