How can we focus on Vaheguru amidst the distractions of day-to-day life?

23 hours ago, GuestKaur2 said:

How can we? At school, work or wherever you go, there are always distractions but how can we progress spiritually without those distractions having an effect on our spirituality?

imagine, it was the same situation in gurus time, markets, loud noises, horses, soldiers, death, disease, famine, just like now, imagine it.

you have to have naam japping in the background of your mind.

A gursikh once said to me that you have 2 minds. That is when at amritvela when we are trying to read gurbani, one mind is focused on reading it and one mind is wondering elsewhere and that's when we forget like "oh.. i've completed japji sahib already?".

How to overcome this is - at amritvela when you are doing simran, do simran with your mouth (with one mind, like when you are reading from gutka sahib), and with the other mind, do mool mantar jaap in your surtee (mind).

This will be really hard and almost impossible at first, but you will realise that your mind does not wonder.. because you have given both your minds 2 things to do so there is no third mind which can wonder off elsewhere. Eventually, you will get the hang of it (personally, I did it for about 9 days and on the 10th day I could do it with ease). Then, instead of doing mool mantar jaap, maybe do jaap of a shabad you want to get kanth whilst doing your amritvela simran.

You can also do this as you are listening to, say, Sukhmani Sahib. With one mind, you are listening to every word, concentrating on it immensely. And with the other mind, you are doing Simran (out loud). This also applies to listening to katha or anything you want to concentrate on really, just know that you have 2 minds and you need to train them to focus - so give them both one thing to do each, don't just say "okay I want to concentrate on only this one thing" because then, the other mind will wander off.

So this is a great trick to focus your mind on Vaheguru and Gurbani whilst alone. But how can we remember Vaheguru whilst with others, or when both our minds are busy with distractions?

I was told by this gursikh that at least one mind should always be given the task to remember God. Say you are speaking to someone, on mind is listening, the other mind is talking - but you are not listening and talking at the same time otherwise you would be talking over your friend you are talking to. So, give one mind the task of listening, and then talking. In the background, the other mind should constantly be doing Simran or mool mantar (in your surtee - mind, not out loud). Even if you are not concentrating on the surtee simran, you are still doing it in the background. This may seem impossible atm but with time it will be natural and you will be able to remember Vaheguru with every saas (breath). You just have to keep at it, do it constantly.

I hope this helps.

Bhul Chuk di khimaa jee.

53 minutes ago, savalakhsingh said:

A gursikh once said to me that you have 2 minds. That is when at amritvela when we are trying to read gurbani, one mind is focused on reading it and one mind is wondering elsewhere and that's when we forget like "oh.. i've completed japji sahib already?".

How to overcome this is - at amritvela when you are doing simran, do simran with your mouth (with one mind, like when you are reading from gutka sahib), and with the other mind, do mool mantar jaap in your surtee (mind).

This will be really hard and almost impossible at first, but you will realise that your mind does not wonder.. because you have given both your minds 2 things to do so there is no third mind which can wonder off elsewhere. Eventually, you will get the hang of it (personally, I did it for about 9 days and on the 10th day I could do it with ease). Then, instead of doing mool mantar jaap, maybe do jaap of a shabad you want to get kanth whilst doing your amritvela simran.

You can also do this as you are listening to, say, Sukhmani Sahib. With one mind, you are listening to every word, concentrating on it immensely. And with the other mind, you are doing Simran (out loud). This also applies to listening to katha or anything you want to concentrate on really, just know that you have 2 minds and you need to train them to focus - so give them both one thing to do each, don't just say "okay I want to concentrate on only this one thing" because then, the other mind will wander off.

So this is a great trick to focus your mind on Vaheguru and Gurbani whilst alone. But how can we remember Vaheguru whilst with others, or when both our minds are busy with distractions?

I was told by this gursikh that at least one mind should always be given the task to remember God. Say you are speaking to someone, on mind is listening, the other mind is talking - but you are not listening and talking at the same time otherwise you would be talking over your friend you are talking to. So, give one mind the task of listening, and then talking. In the background, the other mind should constantly be doing Simran or mool mantar (in your surtee - mind, not out loud). Even if you are not concentrating on the surtee simran, you are still doing it in the background. This may seem impossible atm but with time it will be natural and you will be able to remember Vaheguru with every saas (breath). You just have to keep at it, do it constantly.

I hope this helps.

Bhul Chuk di khimaa jee.

Thanks for this response I will defo try it and see. :)

2 hours ago, mahandulai said:

imagine, it was the same situation in gurus time, markets, loud noises, horses, soldiers, death, disease, famine, just like now, imagine it.

you have to have naam japping in the background of your mind.

23 hours ago, puzzled said:

I do simran in my head whenever I can but yes then someone comes over to have a chat and then there are other distractions 

Thanks, I appreciate everyone's responses. :)

• 2 weeks later...

By meditation on Naam during Amritvela (b4 6am wherever in world you live). Literally even 5 minutes will do, after 5 Baanis. The effects of this will last long hours in day. Then after Rehraas Sahib, 5 more mins of meditation to refuel.