insulting keertan darbar London University Nishaan event and Connect2sikhi Soundcloud

ipledgeblue

I went to a Nishaan keertan darbar at Brunel University a few weeks ago commemorating Guru Nanak's Gurpurb

First I was excited that there were keertanis from different universities coming.

However, most of the event was this midnight jathebandi rehnsbai stuff, just horrible, I just do not consider it keertan

The keertani destroyed Rehraas and the Guru's hukam of each raag.

Then the next day I went onto Connect2Sikhi Soundcloud and saw that most of the recent London uni darbars were all this pakhand stuff as well.

I spoke to some sikhs and they had no idea this kind of keertan isn't normal, nevermind not being close to Guru hukam of raag.

Look, it's nearly 2020, what is this nonsense in London sikh societies? It's like these jathebandis are still controlling them. and this event wasn't even BOSS, it was Nishaan! I remember how BOSS used to be controlled by certain jathebandis,!

EDIT: worst thing is, this was meant to commemorate guru Nanak gurpurb, and this keertan was far from respectable from the keertan maryada set by  Guru Nanak and Bhai Mardana playing Rabab

On 12/12/2018 at 3:09 AM, ipledgeblue said:

I went to a Nishaan keertan darbar at Brunel University a few weeks ago commemorating Guru Nanak's Gurpurb

First I was excited that there were keertanis from different universities coming.

However, most of the event was this midnight jathebandi rehnsbai stuff, just horrible, I just do not consider it keertan

The keertani destroyed Rehraas and the Guru's hukam of each raag.

Then the next day I went onto Connect2Sikhi Soundcloud and saw that most of the recent London uni darbars were all this pakhand stuff as well.

I spoke to some sikhs and they had no idea this kind of keertan isn't normal, nevermind not being close to Guru hukam of raag.

Look, it's nearly 2020, what is this nonsense in London sikh societies? It's like these jathebandis are still controlling them. and this event wasn't even BOSS, it was Nishaan! I remember how BOSS used to be controlled by certain jathebandis,!

EDIT: worst thing is, this was meant to commemorate guru Nanak gurpurb, and this keertan was far from respectable from the keertan maryada set by  Guru Nanak and Bhai Mardana playing Rabab

They Actually are Destroying the beauty of RAAGs, 

im not saying RAAGs are the only way to sing kirtan, i think you can sing it in any fashion as long as it looks CIVIL and SANE.

but these guys are detroying the essence by Screaming and making "Kurrrrr, kurrrr" Sounds.

P.S. this is just my opinion, feel free to correct me.

On 12/13/2018 at 9:05 PM, GuestSingh said:

was any tanti saaj used?

and was there anyone from gurmat sangeet? theyre usually at these places, mainly midlands though..

no tanti saaj used at all. no gurmat sangeet.

in fact if they probably invited some hindus or someone from the university hindu societies, they would have done a better job reading bani in bhajan form than these jathebandi pakhandis did, it was Nishaan Guru Nanak gurpurb commemoration after all, and a lot of Hindu Punjabis celebrate this gurpurb as well...

End of 2018 and the London sikh societies are still doing this beadbi, what are we supposed to do? I think BOSS and Nishaan should get urgent assistance from RAJ Academy and Baru Sahib before arranging any keertan darbar again.  After all these are supposed to be students studying degrees, and instead they are encouraging such major ignorance for major  student keertan programme events? What a great  disappointment!

Guest GuestSingh
1 hour ago, ipledgeblue said:

no tanti saaj used at all. no gurmat sangeet.

in fact if they probably invited some hindus or someone from the university hindu societies, they would have done a better job reading bani in bhajan form than these jathebandi pakhandis did, it was Nishaan Guru Nanak gurpurb commemoration after all, and a lot of Hindu Punjabis celebrate this gurpurb as well...

End of 2018 and the London sikh societies are still doing this beadbi, what are we supposed to do? I think BOSS and Nishaan should get urgent assistance from RAJ Academy and Baru Sahib before arranging any keertan darbar again.  After all these are supposed to be students studying degrees, and instead they are encouraging such major ignorance for major  student keertan programme events? What a great  disappointment!

its a plague across the youth - too much disinterest or disregard for raag, more desire for 'exciting' 'bollywood' kirtan with the awful-sounding harmonium..but if thats what most prefer, what can they do?

wonder if some have been told they need to learn the basics with the harmonium first before moving onto stringed instruments? this is wrong and a waste of time and money - they can do it from the beginning on an instrument of their choice..