The Sikhs of Shanghai

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh

Let's start with the Boxer Rebellion in China. They teach you about in school history lessons but what they don't tell you is who the British sent to crush the rebellion in China. The answer is the Sikhs. They put together the Ludhiana Sikh Regiment and each man in that regiment was specifically chosen because of his height and build. Every last one of them was built like a brick <banned word filter activated> house.

Related image

After service, many stayed on in China where they dominated the professions of Policemen, Watchmen and general enforcers. But being paid enforcers, whist doing wonders for one's own macho sensibilities, comes at a price. And that price is being disliked. For when the Japanese occupied Shanghai, the Sikhs became enforcers for the Japanese and that was something the Chinese were never likely to forget. This still photo from the classic Bruce Lee kung fu film 'Fist of Fury' sums up what i mean. In this scene, set during the Japanese occupation, Bruce is told by the Sikh (a Chinese actor playing a Sikh) that dogs and Chinese are not allowed. 

Image result for bruce lee film sikh in the park

In the end, of course, the Sikhs would have to leave Shanghai but I feel it's important to remember the first of the great Sikh diasporas:

Shanghai Sikh Gurdwara:

Gurdwara.jpg

At the Gurdwara entrance:

Sikh-group.jpg

Still standing today in 2018 but now private dwellings:

Shanghai-Gurdwara-2014-small.jpg

Still standing in the middle of Shanghai;s futuristic new skyline. Neglected....by all of us. But still standing:

Image result for sikhs in shanghai

1945 with some American sailors:

1945-Sikh-photo-w-American-soldiers.jpg

The Nanking Road, 1901:

Image result for sikh police shanghai

Shanghai Police Officers:

Image result for chinese sikhs

Image result for sikhs in china

Shanghai 1935:

Related image

Sikh family with their Chinese Maid / nanny

image.jpeg.b8503d94db38779fd123b1e2ab3f4db6.jpeg

Shanghai Police Training centre:

1931:

Mounted patrol:

Related image

Related image

With chinese criminals in stocks in Honk Kong:

Image result for sikh police shanghai

Apnay's involvement in the Boxer Rebellion and how they helped oppress a community that had never did them any harm is seriously embarrassing (not to mention completely immoral). And I know the people who gloss over this, or are proud of it , are the usual peasants who have consistently jettisoned any morality and ethics if it stands in the way of making money. Shame on them. 

Where were our Muhhamad Ali's? 

To any tats: Don't cry about Hindus lording it over Sikhs in Panjab if you think it is okay for our people to go to other places and lord it over the indigenous population. It's this type of stupidity that brings bad karma in our communities way.

Is the unethical nature of supporting a white imperialist agenda really that complicated for Panjabi villagers and their descendants to understand? Or are they just inhumane, morally bankrupt opportunists? 

Guest Khalsa Raj
23 hours ago, scali said:

The Sikhs fighting for Britishers no different the robot Punjab police and Sikh army today for the Hindu Governments. Mindless brutal paid to just do a job. Stop glorifying and fantasying about the WW1-2 and other Sikh slaves fighting for other people’s du$b causes.

I used to be proud of Sikhs who fought in the Wars, who knows maybe they did it for financial gain. But the more one reads, it is obvious the Whites Royally screwed us, we didn't learn even after they were complicit in bringing down the Sikh Kingdom. 

I used to be proud of Sikhs who fought in the Wars, who knows maybe they did it for financial gain. But the more one reads, it is obvious the Whites Royally screwed us, we didn't learn even after they were complicit in bringing down the Sikh Kingdom. 

There's something quite terrible about urinating on the memory of the very people that laid the foundation of the great Sikh diaspora communities of Canada, California, Singapore, Malaysia and the UK.  These people who you now insult....these people and their service in the army....are the very reason you sit comfortably today in the west. I for one honour with upmost respect the great sacrifices and adventures of both my paternal and maternal great-grandfathers around the world. If it wasn't for them and men like them none of would today be sitting in Canada and the UK etc. We'd all be living the life of UP bhayas in India. To urinate up on what they have given you.....well, what goes up will come down and that urine of ingratitude will at some point fall back down on you.Let's hope so anyway.

They are 2 types one who fought for independence and the others who fought for British to keep India from getting independence killing their own like jallianwala bagh stuff. Just like we have the good ones who fight for Sikh causes worldwide and in India and those like  Badals, Captians, KPS Gills and other Sikh foot soldiers for the Hindu Govt like the Uncle Tom Negro syndrome. History is full of old and current traitors. I was under the same delusion just if the look like a Sikh they should automatically be glorified because somehow they are doing Guru work. Snap out of it Actions speak louder that their looks.

15 minutes ago, DailyMail said:

Kidda West London Singh,

It was the 14th Ferozpore Sikh Regiment that went to China in 1900 for the Boxer Rebellion, not the 15th Ludhiana Sikhs. The 34th Sikh Pioneers Regiment was also there, as were a few other Indian regiments. 

Wrong.

Daily Mail....seriously bro...you spent a week googling sh$t and that's ^ what you come back with ? :)

Lets start with semantics....a man mentions the Boxer Rebellion not because this is some of sort of phd thesis but because he knows full well that there are very few if any on this site that will understand concepts such as the Taiping Rebellion or the Peking Expedition. So, in order to try and get things understood, one has to mention a term that might resonate among the readers here.  Now, what every single expedition to crush rebellions in China have in common is the fact that the  15th Ludhiana Sikhs were THE foremost and most constant. The 14th Sikh regiment that you mentioned was sent from Bombay to Shanghai via Singapore in 1860 but it was sent in order to offer military assistance to the main force that was already a constant there....i.e the 15th Ludhiana Sikhs. 

However, I will say that I'm glad you chose to mention the 14th Sikhs because, as you know, I relish talking about history and the 14th are an extremely important part of understanding our diaspora. Like 15th Sikhs, the 14th were also chosen mainly on the basis of their height and build.....and, from the point of view of racist colonial stereotypes, this was because the British believed that the Chinese were small in stature and would thus be intimidated by tall burly men.  The 15th, already battle hardened and comfortable in China were the ones who mostly stayed but it was mostly members of the 14th that started the Sikh pioneer communities in California, Oregon and Canada. What's interesting is the way that white American and Canadian commentators from that period almost universally describe these Sikhs as "giants" with one newspaper from California from around 1900 describing the local Sikh farmers as the "biggest and strongest men they had ever seen".  But, to re-cap, it's important for you to remember that the 14th you mentioned came to China very late in the day as a support unit to the 15th who were the original and most embedded within China. For what happened afterwards it's important to note that it was the more embedded 15th Ludhiana that mostly stayed in China and mostly the 14th that went off and started Sikh diasporas in Canada and California. 

Hold your horses Jagsaw....

Re-read my statement:

On 12/17/2018 at 3:14 PM, DailyMail said:

Kidda West London Singh,

It was the 14th Ferozpore Sikh Regiment that went to China in 1900 for the Boxer Rebellion, not the 15th Ludhiana Sikhs. The 34th Sikh Pioneers Regiment was also there, as were a few other Indian regiments. 

The key date to note here is..1900. In 1900, it was indeed the 14th Sikhs that were sent to China. You're referring to 1859, when the 15th Sikhs were sent.  I fear that you're confusing the recruiting policies and designs of the Shanghai Police Force with the 14th and 15th Sikhs. 

I didn't spend a week googling anything son, I have access to regimental histories. 

The 14th and 15th Sikhs were established in the midst of the Anglo-Sikh Wars:- these Sikhs had switched sides before the second Anglo-Sikh War had even begun!! I'm sorry to say, they swung both ways.