Okay, I'm posting this video because I'm noticing that a few apnay parents seem to have some sort of 'weight blindness' when it comes to their children (and themselves). This video shows a cat but the principle is still the same. How comes certain parents don't have the intelligence to recognise that they are overfeeding their children (and adjust the food accordingly), when the evidence is right there in front of their eyes? Do some suffer from some sort of strange 'reverse anorexia' where their visual perceptions are distorted to the extent that they look at their morbidly obese kids and see a slim person? Or are they too clueless about biology to realise that the weight can lead to all manner of illnesses? 

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

in our community if your fat or chubby then your healthy, if your slim then they say "tu kina mara hogiya"     you notice this especially in Punjab, if someone is chubby then they are seen as someone who eats well and is healthy. When i go india my thai always says that shes going to feed me lots of aloo protas and fatten me up. They like it chubby.

Women in Punjab Are The Most Obese Of All – Survey

43269e1e1b945d81fd528f1c3d05852f?s=140&d Tushar Pasrija 02/05/2017
 1,227  1 minute read

Punjab is the land of butter chicken, lassi and also big fat weddings. Almost all the people of Punjab are food lovers and not to forget that their unconditional love for alcohol. Punjabis are undoubtedly the coolest and the most chilled out people in India but the report revealed by the national health survey is surely going to disappoint all the Punjabis.

As per the report revealed by national heath survey, Punjabis are the most obese community. The women in Punjab have left behind the men in Punjab in terms of obesity. It has happened for the first time in a decade and the reason for the same could be a drop in liquor consumption by men in Punjab. Though Punjab also has a lot of fitness freaks but it’s a matter of serious concern for the obese people.

Obesity Problem With The Women In Punjab

The percentage of obese women in Punjab will definitely shock you.As per the NFHS (National Family Health Survey) 2015-16, 32.4% of women in Punjab are obese and diabetic. Men in Punjab are also not behind as the percentage of obese men in Punjab is 32.1%. There are 30.6% overweight women and 25% overweight men in the villages of Punjab.

Punjabis living in both urban and rural areas have become fatter since the last NFHS round (2005-06).

Punjabi’s Consumption Habits

Union Ministry of health and family welfare commissioned the latest round last year. International Institute of Population Sciences, Mumbai completed the survey last year.

The survey’s report of the habits of the Punjabis will give you chills down your spine. Drug abuse was the main issue in the state’s polls. The strangest thing is that men in Punjab have become much sober as far as consuming liquor is concerned. As per a report, there were about 34% liquor consumers in Punjab’s cities in 2005-06. The percentage has dropped from 34% to 29.7% and there has been a drop in villages too from 43.4% to 36.9%

The analysts said that there a lot reasons for this change. Some of them are the awareness campaigns by women, more dependence on drugs and also that the panchayats socially boycotted the vend owners.

Image result for fat punjabis

8 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Apnay parents referring to seriously obese children as 'takhray' says it all I guess...... deluded.

when you complain, they say " Asi Khande Peende Ghar de aa " XD

14 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Okay, I'm posting this video because I'm noticing that a few apnay parents seem to have some sort of 'weight blindness' when it comes to their children (and themselves). This video shows a cat but the principle is still the same. How comes certain parents don't have the intelligence to recognise that they are overfeeding their children (and adjust the food accordingly), when the evidence is right there in front of their eyes? Do some suffer from some sort of strange 'reverse anorexia' where their visual perceptions are distorted to the extent that they look at their morbidly obese kids and see a slim person? Or are they too clueless about biology to realise that the weight can lead to all manner of illnesses? 

problem is the quality of the food , most parents are allowing their kids to eat maccie D's and fast food especially pizza as this is some 'sign' of affluence whilst they eat all the fried foods and mithai week in week out as if it's a permanent party . There is a lack of desire to cook from fresh and daily in the bibian they cut corners all over the shop  no wonder the kids look like Augustus Gloop

13 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Apnay parents referring to seriously obese children as 'takhray' says it all I guess...... deluded.

we used to do ticharan of Punjabi concept of 'Hellthee' but now it's ridiculous you walk your kid to school and see people feeding their kids sweets and crisps from first thing in the morning it's sickening

19 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

kids can be chubby but no child can be obese really, bc their body grows until around 18, and a bit more after that.

and the truth is, the diseases around obesity are not as strongly linked as you think.

nice cat analogy tho

I think new age child obesity can be related to bad and lazy parenting as well. There's this fat Punjabi lady who lives down our road and whenever her son used to cry or have a tantrum she used to place a can of coke, sweets, or crisp in front of him to shut him up. When he was 7 some of his teeth were removed because they were in such a bad state! How shocking is that. He now is a very very fat kid and everyone on our road laughs at him. She was telling my mum that he starts having tantrums and starts screaming if he doesnt get his coke cans and chocolates. She also told my mum that the doctors told her that its one of the worst cases they have seen.

Iv seen parents shove phones/tablets or sweets in front of their kids when they crying. Iv seen Punjabi ladies do the same thing. Parents are getting lazy 

Edited by puzzled
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

Drinking water is an alien act to most Punjabis; exercise may as well be voodoo. 

It's strange, because I talked to some relatives who go back home quite frequently and they told me that there are gyms out there and some people do actually train regularly????

9 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

problem is the quality of the food , most parents are allowing their kids to eat maccie D's and fast food especially pizza as this is some 'sign' of affluence whilst they eat all the fried foods and mithai week in week out as if it's a permanent party . There is a lack of desire to cook from fresh and daily in the bibian they cut corners all over the shop  no wonder the kids look like Augustus Gloop

I train (not as much as I used to though), and I've trained a few younguns in the family too.  What I've learnt is that different people have different biologies in the above respect. Some people can pretty much eat junk but keep really active and it doesn't show. Others totally misjudge how many calories they require and even eating what a normally built person would eat makes them gain pounds and pounds. How comes people are so out of tune with their own personal biology? 

I think a lot of apnay comfort eat. 

1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

It's strange, because I talked to some relatives who go back home quite frequently and they told me that there are gyms out there and some people do actually train regularly????

You don't need a gym to drink water, eat less, and move more. That's something the women in particular over there should be shamed into realising. They've destroyed their bodies by the time they hit 30, and it has NOTHING to do with childbirth. They have physical ailments, normally associated with people 20 years their senior, stemming from inactivity, poor diet, and a generally bad attitude. It's crazy because they don't have to worry about clocking-on; there's apparently "servants" for all household duties, so why is it still such an ordeal to carve out time to dedicate to one's health?

Yes, there's definitely a burgeoning gym scene in India for males, but as with most things that are imitated from Western trends it's extremely superficial. Good health rarely enters the equation. Although the gabru who train for kabaddi and Indian wrestling aren't to be sniffed at. 

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, MisterrSingh said:

You don't need a gym to drink water, eat less, and move more. That's something the women in particular over there should be shamed into realising. They've destroyed their bodies by the time they hit 30, and it has NOTHING to do with childbirth. They have physical ailments, normally associated with people 20 years their senior, stemming from inactivity, poor diet, and a generally bad attitude. It's crazy because they don't have to worry about clocking-on; there's apparently "servants" for all household duties, so why is it still such an ordeal to carve out time to dedicate to one's health?

Yes, there's definitely a burgeoning gym scene in India for males, but as with most things that are imitated from Western trends it's extremely superficial. Good health rarely enters the equation. Although the gabru who train for kabaddi and Indian wrestling aren't to be sniffed at. 

when, Sikhs, these days, say, "Trust in Waheguru, and not this scientific nonsense" , WHAT CAN YOU DO REALLY

On 12/16/2018 at 4:37 PM, mahandulai said:

kids can be chubby but no child can be obese really, bc their body grows until around 18, and a bit more after that.

and the truth is, the diseases around obesity are not as strongly linked as you think.

nice cat analogy tho

maybe you actually need to read about doctors who treat childhood obesity , if they exist it is because there are obese children , obese children become obese teens and then adults if there is no intervention.
truth is there is an expolsion in strokes, heart attacks, hypertension and diabetes type 2 in children, for the first time kids are being buried by their parents after deaths from chronic diseases relating to dietary choices