Why are Deras succeeding so much?

Guest Sant Nicholas Das

3 minutes ago, Preeet said:

Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa
Vaheguru ji Ki Fateh

Which deras are you speaking about? Im from the same region, but my village mostly follows Hinduism rather than deras. 

i don't know a lot about them but i hear "beas wala" a lot    my thia showed me the land that the beas wala dera owns and its was a stretch of miles and miles of land, mostly donated by the followers. 

the government of punjab is also hugely involved in dera activity 

3 hours ago, puzzled said:

i don't know a lot about them but i hear "beas wala" a lot    my thia showed me the land that the beas wala dera owns and its was a stretch of miles and miles of land, mostly donated by the followers. 

the government of punjab is also hugely involved in dera activity 

Beas wala is radhasoamis dera. 

They been there for a while. 

This dera problem been there such gurus time. Back then it was sakhi sarvar and graves (marrhi ) worship and muslim peers. Now its anybody with a following. 

I think like the caste system, deras r part of panjabi culture. Gurujis tried to get us to stop all the terrible short sighted cultural things. But we havent. 

In india, ppl need someone to ask for help in hard times cuz theres no social security or welfare or state benefits. Also ppl need to ask for sons, and help with getting a job, and other things that determine status. 

To counter this, Guruji did start Langar, and fullfilled wishes. And there r isthaans for sons-giving. And bani for specific wishes.

But panjabis have either forgotten or need something more new and exotic in the religion arena. Hearing just do more paath, isnt consoling enough. 

Also there r some genuinely bad panjabis. They just dont mesh with sikhi. Like those that take bribes, deal in drugs, do black magic, murder their families for land/business and other underhanded activities. Those ppl need a more compatible religìon, so they invent their own. I say leave them to it. 

Guest Sant Nicholas Das

Interesting points from everyone. Do you guys know if there are movements to sway people away from all of this? I know Dhandrianwale has spoken out against Deras but people have varying opinions about him in general.

Also please excuse my misuse of 'their' 'there' and 'they're' in my original post haha. Proofreading is a good habit I need to have lol. 

7 hours ago, Guest Sant Nicholas Das said:

Interesting points from everyone. Do you guys know if there are movements to sway people away from all of this? I know Dhandrianwale has spoken out against Deras but people have varying opinions about him in general.

Also please excuse my misuse of 'their' 'there' and 'they're' in my original post haha. Proofreading is a good habit I need to have lol. 

Although 90% of people here hate missionaries, But Missionries and dhardiawala are the only one who are openly speaking all out against DERA-VAAD. While the other "So Called" Puratan Jathes are doing Nothing because speaking agaisnt Dera-Vaad, might Hurt the feelings of their own DERA