Sikh identity conflicts-online survey

DarshaPyasi1984

Okay, I am writing a paper on Sikh identity (finally almost done after 8 months). My research question is: to what extent does the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee's definition of sikh identity affect Sehajdhari and Amritdhari Sikhs?

I want to know how you were discriminated against for being sehajdhari sikhs compared to an amritdhari SIkhs. Maybe some incident where you weren't allowed to do something that Amritdhari sikhs could do simply because your sehajdhari, maybe the opposite. For instance, i talked about in my paper how sehajdhari sikhs are not allowed to vote in SGPC elections. I also talked about how some specific students in punjab  were denied admission to higher level Sikh only educational institutions because it was discovered that they trimmed their kesh. This raises questions about the truly acceptable identity of a sikh. However, to strengthen my arguments, I wanted to add specific examples of this from sikhs in the diaspora. So please, I came here for this purpose. If you want to read my paper please ask.

If your are interested please post your experiences here. You don't need to include your name but please include your country. 

Did you include in your paper how the sgpc allowed a DJ play filthy music in the same building of a college in fatehgarh Sahib with Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji prakash?  Once Amritdhari Singhs told them to shut it down they said we have permission.  Did you also include in your paper how mona are given admission in sgpc run colleges and it's a requirement to keep hair uncut before admission.  Also couple of weeks before crossing the stage for graduation the students start keeping breads to give the appearance they are keshdhari but they actually are not.  

Don't cry wolf.  Sgpc is the most corrupt institution that needs to be dismantled and power goes back to Punj pyare. 

Did you  also include in your paper how mona do Sehaj or Akhand paath and after the bhog and Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji leaves the house they wait couple of hours and open the alcohol bottles and play lustful music and call the function a party?

Did you also include in your paper how mona have control of some Gurdwara and allow alcohol to be drank in the langar hall by a select few.  Did you also include in your paper how mona have control of some Gurdwara and on one side of the same building is a party hall and the other side is Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji prakash and it's called a Gurdwara?

If I think of more I will keep adding them.

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh
10 hours ago, DarshaPyasi1984 said:

Okay, I am writing a paper on Sikh identity (finally almost done after 8 months). My research question is: to what extent does the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee's definition of sikh identity affect Sehajdhari and Amritdhari Sikhs?

I want to know how you were discriminated against for being sehajdhari sikhs compared to an amritdhari SIkhs. Maybe some incident where you weren't allowed to do something that Amritdhari sikhs could do simply because your sehajdhari, maybe the opposite. For instance, i talked about in my paper how sehajdhari sikhs are not allowed to vote in SGPC elections. I also talked about how some specific students in punjab  were denied admission to higher level Sikh only educational institutions because it was discovered that they trimmed their kesh. This raises questions about the truly acceptable identity of a sikh. However, to strengthen my arguments, I wanted to add specific examples of this from sikhs in the diaspora. So please, I came here for this purpose. If you want to read my paper please ask.

If your are interested please post your experiences here. You don't need to include your name but please include your country. 

For those of you here unable to find clarity in what the OP has written above...please let me translate / transcribe:

"Okay, I want to show how amritdharis are scum who discriminate against monas and the best way I could do this is in the guise of a research paper. If any of your here would be kind enough to help me in this endeavor of discrediting amritdharis please get in touch"

14 hours ago, Akalifauj said:

Did you include in your paper how the sgpc allowed a DJ play filthy music in the same building of a college in fatehgarh Sahib with Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji prakash?  Once Amritdhari Singhs told them to shut it down they said we have permission.  Did you also include in your paper how mona are given admission in sgpc run colleges and it's a requirement to keep hair uncut before admission.  Also couple of weeks before crossing the stage for graduation the students start keeping breads to give the appearance they are keshdhari but they actually are not.  

Don't cry wolf.  Sgpc is the most corrupt institution that needs to be dismantled and power goes back to Punj pyare. 

14 hours ago, Akalifauj said:

Did you  also include in your paper how mona do Sehaj or Akhand paath and after the bhog and Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji leaves the house they wait couple of hours and open the alcohol bottles and play lustful music and call the function a party?

Did you also include in your paper how mona have control of some Gurdwara and allow alcohol to be drank in the langar hall by a select few.  Did you also include in your paper how mona have control of some Gurdwara and on one side of the same building is a party hall and the other side is Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji prakash and it's called a Gurdwara?

If I think of more I will keep adding them.

I agree with you that with the above mentioned points the SGPC is really corrupt hoarding billions of dollars that could easily put Sikhi into the top 3 largest religions, and save our targeted culturally,physically and morally dying youth in punjab and in the diaspora. Just look at what is happening to darbar sahib, our heart. The missionary influence cant be missed. "shortened" rehras sahib path specifically avoiding dasam bani for the most part, or even the SGPC run colleges to train prachariks to spread missionary propaganda, to create divisions in our panth.  The list goes on and on. However, I am not really focusing on the corruption of SGPC, but more on Sikh identity conflicts. The points mentioned have to do with identity expectations between amritdahri and sehajdhari sikhs while being mixed with SGPC corruption and exposes hypocrisy. They are relevant to the investigation so I thank you, but can you please provide sources maybe. I tried to find specific reported cases but didnt have any luck. I don't doubt that this stuff happens, it's just that I need solid evidence of these happenings as it is a formal paper.  

Guest Grow the Sikh Panth

This is a very good topic for a research paper.

Most Sikhs were non-Punjabi's prior to the 1950 Maryada which Nehru, the RSS and Hindutva forces all approved of. As at a stroke tens of millions of sehajdhari non-Punjabi Sikhs were suddenly defined as Hindu's for the purposes of the 1951 Indian census. 67 years later their descendants outside Punjab (but even within Punjab amongst so-called Hindu Punjabi's) often sadly seem to have forgotten their Sikh heritage or what Sikhi stands for - Sarbat Da Bhala - through our shameful neglect as their (Sikh) Punjabi brethren. 

The Hindutva agenda successfully did this in 1950 by declaring sehajdhari's as non-Sikhs and the consequences we saw in 1984 and the years thereafter and today when our population stands at only 1.7% of the Indian population.

In 1984 there were 15million Sikhs and 750million Hindu's, Muslims, Christians etc in India. Fast forward to today and there are 22million Amritdhari, Kesdhari and Sehajdhari Sikhs in India and 1,350million non-Sikhs. What the powers that be realise is that if the definition of Sikhs is restricted to the 5% minority who are Amritdhari then the resulting "Sikh" community will be an impotent minority in east Punjab and even more so throughout India. On the other hand the Hindutva agenda classes anyone with a pulse as Hindu to maintain their political stranglehold on power. It is obvious which strategy will win out of an expansionist all-inclusive strategy (Hindutva) and one which seeks to exclude as many people as possible from the definition of ordinary Sikhs so that the Sikh Panth becomes small and politically impotent minority and so that the numbers of the Khalsa Panth become smaller and smaller year after year due to the lack of committed fresh new blood dedicated to the upliftment of the Panth.

What our Hindutva political opponents want is that even the 1.7% is reduced to 0.1% the Indian population (according to the 1950 definition) so as to be politically irrelavant because they fear the true message of Sikhi spreading.

At least 100 million in India have historic ties to Sikhi and/or attend Gurdwara's (and are thus Sikh). The puaratan definition of a Sikh was anybody who had the humility to bow down before Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj. The way to respond to our opponents is to widen the umbrella of those considered Sikh. The greater the number of Sikhs, the more political clout the Panth will have (to avoid Genocides) and the greater manpower the Sikh Panth and more new committed members of the Khalsa Panth we will have to serve humanity (for Sarbat Da Bhala).

But yes it's always a safe bet that when someone sows sehajdhari/kesdhari divisions or biraderi divisions they are usually non-Sikhs with an agenda to denigrate Sikhi (because they fear the revolution the Truth of Sikhi can bring to hundreds of millions of people). After all the Panj Piare came from Gujarat, Orissa, South India, Hastinapur and Lahore and in all those areas all Sikhs combined do not constitute 1% any longer (let alone simply Amritdhari's). Now if the script was flipped and all ordinary people in those areas began to think of themselves as sehajdhari Sikhs then Khalsa Raj would stretch from Nankana Sahib to Hazur Sahib in a few decades prior to Khalsa Raj providing justice to all humanity. Meanwhile, in the present day all Sikhs combined are already a minority in Doaba and by 2021 or 2031 Sikhs are projected to become a minority even in east Punjab overall due to the legacy of the 1950 definition of a Sikh that Nehru and his SGPC pawns cooked up.

22 hours ago, Akalifauj said:

Not so long ago in the UK the Sikh got together and stopped parties happening on Gurdwara premises and connected rooms.  There was a lot of media reporting on it.  So you could not find any one of those cases?  

Yeah  I found some stuff now,

http://panthic.org/articles/5258

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-11886253

https://www.sikh24.com/2012/08/21/gurdwara-booze-party-busted/

So thank you for your help

On 1/5/2019 at 10:46 AM, Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh said:

For those of you here unable to find clarity in what the OP has written above...please let me translate / transcribe:

"Okay, I want to show how amritdharis are scum who discriminate against monas and the best way I could do this is in the guise of a research paper. If any of your here would be kind enough to help me in this endeavor of discrediting amritdharis please get in touch"

Well actually, I was trying to find evidence to support the opposite perpsective as well. Having a label doesnt make you encompass it's qualities just because you have the label. There is misrepresentation as a result, and stereotypes and other sources of conflict build. You can apply this general formula to any misrepresented group like for instance how you are misrepresenting amitdhari sikhs. If you have such free time to just drop hate and irrelevant criticism why don't you go do something meaningful in life like simran or sewa?  

57 minutes ago, GuestSingh12345 said:

so you found some info. There is a lot more. Also all this info is relevant to identity because the mona and sehajdhari cry wolf but commit majority  of the disrespect.  When the disrespect is pointed out they get upset. Search this forum and you will find more. Did you also find the india case of Sarna allowing meat and alcohol to be served in a diwan in Delhi.   Did you find the case about a Gurdwara in surrey, British Columbia called Bear Creek Gurdwara? Run by sehajdhari and mona.

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh
1 hour ago, GuestSingh12345 said:

Well actually, I was trying to find evidence to support the opposite perpsective as well. 

Oh Really ??? ?

Lets breakdown what you said in your opening message and analyse how important the "opposite" perspective really was to you. These are YOUR words...not mine:

• I want to know how you were discriminated against for being sehajdhari sikhs compared to an amritdhari SIkhs
  • Maybe some incident where you weren't allowed to do something that Amritdhari sikhs could do simply because your sehajdhari
  • For instance, i talked about in my paper how sehajdhari sikhs are not allowed to vote in SGPC elections.
  • I also talked about how some specific students in punjab  were denied admission to higher level Sikh only educational institutions because it was discovered that they trimmed their kesh

You wern't even every good at hiding your intention.?