Puratan Sikh art

puzzled

10 hours ago, puzzled said:

in A lot of these old paintings guru ji has been depicted with a dog walking near his horse, what did this symbolize? you dont see this in modern paintings. dont dogs symbolize loyalty ?    or did guru ji keeps dogs too ?

I'd assume the dogs were kept for hunting, as much as i love these painting one has to keep in mind that these go back to the time of Maharaja Ranjit Singh so i'd assume you'd have to have a little leeway as to what's real or not.

4 hours ago, kcmidlands said:

I'd assume the dogs were kept for hunting, as much as i love these painting one has to keep in mind that these go back to the time of Maharaja Ranjit Singh so i'd assume you'd have to have a little leeway as to what's real or not.

Yeah all these paintings were the artists imagination and the depictions were inspired by the culture of that time.

But I do know that there was a lot if Symbolism in these paintings.

I love these of paintings too, they are part of our culture and history 

These paintings became inspiration for a lot of modern artists who did portraits of the gurus.

I personally prefer these old ones rather than  the new ones. The artists didn't concentrate on developing the facial features but more on the settings.