"Chand" - Is it a Khanda???

sher_panjabi

Lol..trust the nangs to add some sexual meaning to the chand!

This is what i was told was the meaning of the chand..I may be wrong but..this is what i was told:

The chand comes from shiv ji and belongs to him but it is worn by the khalsa. You have to remember that hinduism existed before sikhi so there are certain things that are associated with hindu's but they have a separate meaning in sikhi. Back to the chand story..

When Guru Nanak Dev Ji went to akaal purakhs charan for 3 days all the devis and avtaar came before Guru Nanak Dev ji and pronounced Guru Nanak Dev Ji as the sachaa nirankaar. And all the all the devi/avtaar guns where thus given to the panth, hence 96 crori fauj.

When guru gobind singh designed the khalsa fauj the fauji singhs took the chand from shiv ji in order to represent chandr vanse fauj and the sooraj was taken from krishan avtaar to represent the soraj vanse. In this way the khalsa is every ready to fight be it day or night - chandr and soraj vanse. If someone wears a chand they are also required to wear a tegh (talvaar) because it is on the tegh the sooraj is present (usually on the handle/mutth). This translates to warriors under the sun/moon i.e the khalsa is tiyaar bar tiyaar. The khalsa never rests, we never sleep, we are never off gaurd, we are here for one thing and one thing only:

khalsa so jo karai nit jang

Be that day or night!

So the separate parts of the chand do not have any significant meaning except that the chand represents warrior by night, tthe khanda in the middle is the symbol of guru gobind singh ji..a double edged sword - the bhaugti. It is the creator and the destro

yer and represents righteousness, justice, etc. and the tegh we carry would represent warriors by day.

So every tiyaar bar tiyaar singh/singhni should wear a chand and maryada states we should also carry a tegh whilst wearing a chand..

Bhul Chuk Maaf!

looking at all the arguments in this thread, i believe that this is the correct one. spiritual meaning always outweighs every other meaning! this post coincides with gurbani so for me, this is the meaning... (>>>>yes this is a prompt to say that this is the correct one!! tongue.gif <<<<)

but i dont under stand this bit.......

.....hence 96 crori fauj.

When guru gobind singh designed the khalsa fauj the fauji singhs took the chand from shiv ji in order to represent chandr vanse fauj and the sooraj was taken from krishan avtaar to represent the soraj vanse. In this way the khalsa is every ready to fight be it day or night - chandr and soraj vanse. If someone wears a chand they are also required to wear a tegh (talvaar) because it is on the tegh the sooraj is present (usually on the handle/mutth). .....

so please do the courticy to me!

thanx!!

Somewhat of a tangent, but I've always viewed that wearing a khanda is an honor reserved for gursikhs, and it seem to have become almost a fasion symbol. Anyone remember this debacle?

http://www.sikhtimes.com/news_042205a.html

As a side note, someone should really go back and clean up dancing warriors comments *hint hint*. What a mouth....

• 5 months later...

Well actually before modern day Islam predating prophet Mohammad we find paganism which was pretty much equivalence of Hinduism now, hinduism initself is just another name put ontop of many tribal religions more better classified as 6 discplines or systems.

But in Paganism there is a diety known as Allah, who is the moon God, the king of the Gods, his role as a diety fits that of indic-vedic mythology of Shivji

http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/moongod.htm

A CHAND??? OMG IT'S AN ISLAMIC SYMBOL MAYBE THAT'S WHAT WE ALL ARE?? NO, NO, WE'RE HINDUS, BECAUSE IT SHIVA'S WINKY WOO *SHUDDERS*!!

Lord, can you listen to yourselves! :rolleyes:

• 3 years later...

The Khanda are two swords of Miri and Piri. The Double edged sword in the middle is the one used by Dasam Guru Nanak Dev Ji in the Amrit Sanchar. Shiv does not own or rule the sun!

Shiva Lingum is a large black stone with white marks. Nothing like the Khanda. Hindus worship Shivs genitals (meat and two veg??!!) idiots. Sikhs do not worship it let alone stick his dong on their heads!!!

Yeah, i think it is somehow related to Shivji also. I am not sure...got no "hard facts", but yes, Shivji did have some chand around him. He was the 'master of whole Indian martial arts' so it is natural that much of the terminology used for bharati weapons can be linked to him. rolleyes.gif

i will try to get hold of something...

there is a term called shiv swaroop for nihangs, ie the form of Shiva. But Shiva is also Mahakaal. And there's the terms Shiv Shakti. When we use the term Shivaq do we only look at an idol or person/deity, or do we also look at the metaphorical meaning of such things?

2 things -

1 Either im stupid or

Naive, but i dont see how u reached ur conclusion :s

2- Also i don't see why Guru Gobind Singh/guru Hargobind SAhib ji would give us a symbol derived from hindu origin

so let me put it this way -

historically where do we find the word KHANDA; in which historical /puratan SCirpture or research do we first find the term Khanda?

I don't see how ur conclusion of Khanda being related to Khargh, and how u concluded that it can be used in another context :s

Also Sikh symbol Khanda , is made up out of the Miri and Piri, and a chakar and the KHanda (double egde sword)

Miri, Piri and Khanda (double egde sword) has a great symbolic in Sikhi , due to histroical events etc, not sure about the chakar tho, might be added later on by someone ( ? )

hence my conclusiuon - the Sikh Symbol 'Khand/chand' w'eva has NO at ALL link to Shiva or any other hindu God, as it simply symbolizes the three Swords which are extremly important in SIkhi... :e:

bhull chukk maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Deh Shiva Bar Mohe Ihai