Would you be ok with your sister or daughter marrying a black or white Sikh?

Torontobboi

42 minutes ago, Sukhvirk1976 said:

I have no problem with that but it says nothing about dating.. 

If we believe bani to be 'Sat' which I do. Then truth has to be without contradiction.. Ie. We cannot expand upon it or draw conclusions from it that do not fit. 

If a unmarried sikh was to follow the above statement they would never get married and then become brahmachari.. So the context of it must or can only be applied in circumstances such as one who is already married or their is a deeper meaning. Truth is incontrovertible and bani is sat so if we as readers of bani come up with assumptions that are flawed doesn't mean bani is flawed it means our understanding is flawed 

How many times has this same arguement been presented on this site and every time the argument holds no water.  This poster is a troll.  An honest person would have searched on this forum for the discussion and learned from them.  Yet this guy is not honest, he is a troll.

If you guys have not noticed he wants the other side to present Gurbani or other evidence and then some way he will say, where does it say what you are asserting to say.  He will never actually acknowledge proof presented and he will never present evidence for his arguments because they don't exist. Also he won't present evidence because it's easy to say no to an argument rather than make one, which takes time.

These trolls will never quit.  

Stop feeding the troll.

3 minutes ago, Akalifauj said:

How many times has this same arguement been presented on this site and every time the argument holds no water.  This poster is a troll.  An honest person would have searched on this forum for the discussion and learned from them.  Yet this guy is not honest, he is a troll.

If you guys have not noticed he wants the other side to present Gurbani or other evidence and then some way he will say, where does it say what you are asserting to say.  He will never actually acknowledge proof presented and he will never present evidence for his arguments because they don't exist. Also he won't present evidence because it's easy to say no to an argument rather than make one, which takes time.

These trolls will never quit.  

Stop feeding the troll.

Stop feeding the troll. Touché. 

If you can't support your arguments with any references then all you are doing is stating your opinion. Which is valid and welcome. But please don't pretend you speak for Guru Sahibs 

5 minutes ago, Sukhvirk1976 said:

Stop feeding the troll. Touché. 

If you can't support your arguments with any references then all you are doing is stating your opinion. Which is valid and welcome. But please don't pretend you speak for Guru Sahibs 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=troll+meme&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjN1-uf6pbgAhXG9lQKHTPfD64Q2-cCegQIABAC&oq=troll+meme&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.3..0l5.7170.8649..9724...0.0..0.74.317.5......0....1.........0i67.5NxamKtJhT4&ei=J0pSXI2oBcbt0wKzvr_wCg&bih=612&biw=360&client=ms-android-samsung-ss&prmd=ivsn#imgrc=tpmmiWiBnPflZM

16 minutes ago, Akalifauj said:

If you guys have not noticed he wants the other side to present Gurbani or other evidence and then some way he will say, where does it say what you are asserting to say.  

Why are you talking to the crowd.. Is this a public performance? I'm engaging with you. 

The fact that you are conscious of 'you guys' is really very telling 

1 hour ago, Akalifauj said:

It is a consensus among senior posters here you are a troll.   Have you noticed how the admin who you questioned has not responded to you.  Why do you think that is? Because he knows you are not here for learning or development of the Khalsa panth.   You have one motive and that is to be a troll.  

My motive here is to learn and grow. And if that means calling out bs then I will.. I'm a Singh and if I believe that my thinking is correct then a) I will do everything to try and be proved wrong by asking questions 

B) however many 'senior' or none senior people disagree with me I am compelled by the strength that Guru sahibs have given me to stand alone. 

C) so tell me who is the sheep? 

Again I ask you to go back to basics, back to what we were speaking about and provide some support for your arguments. You never know if you did, I may then agree with you 

Guest GuestSingh
2 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

I think most of the Sangat will not really prefer their sisters or daughters to be married to a black or white Sikh, but would have to begrudgingly accept it.

I think it is mainly a cultural thing. We as human beings prefer the familiar.

People like to forge links by looking at the background of the prospective groom.

Whenever, someone gets engage, we want to know where their village is from, where the nanke are from, who are their massi and bhuas. We like to probe the whole family tree, just we so have some familiarity with them.

If someone is marrying a black Sikh, and we ask which village they are from and they say it's a village 10 miles outside Montego Bay, Jamaica it won't have the same impact as  to say that your pind is in Kapurthala or near Phagwara.

both my families pind are roughly in those places - we cud be related...but probably not....

seriously these kind of aspects in our culture inc. marriage traditions (mostly hindu-influenced yh) are gonna die out soon anyway just like our identity is now...

younger generations prefer to eat more western food like pizza/pasta etc. than they do traditional simple panjabi food - inc. the spicy, rich stuff we see today...they also prefer wearing western clothes - is there a strong fear or even dislike of wearing traditional dress and risk sticking out 'lyk a sore thumb'? aint we supposed to stand out and not fit in? then there's western music...the preference for the same generic stuff u hear in shops, rap, hip-hop etc over panjabi folk, dhadi raag, raag kirtan (arts wiv real value and meaning) and then wiv tht comes the whitewashing/blackwashing..the preference for acting lyk someone else other than ur own - that wud seem to suggest we have no older panjabi role models? but where were our great gursikhs, mahapursh, shaheeds etc. born n bred? and finally there's the really strong desire to talk english instead of panjabi...cuz its just easier...and yh not everyone is fluent but there's little to no effort or desire in most to learn or develop panjabi which wud take us way further in sikhi if u consider gurbani in gurmukhi, katha, ancient scriptures e.g. rehitname etc...

the older generations really failed the youth...but the youth dont seem to wanna make an effort to at least make up for it and try to get something back - why? this probably wont bother most ppl reading this but these little things are what was around in guruji's time and a bit later...are we all just expected to live in duality by imitating the westerner but wear a dumalla and the 5k's just to make up for our shortcomings? yh this is hukam by guruji but so are plenty of otha things we decide we can skip on...nah not gd enough imo...we all need to make more of an effort to connect with older culture and heritage and generations if we really want to experience sikhi in its more divine and sweet form imo....

is this trend also happening to other communities from around the world too just as much...or are apne just really a more weak-minded folk than we think or wanna admit?

we already know some apne lyk parading whitey like a trophy/status symbol cuz theyre stupid in mind but apnia seem to be copying and doing the same only cuz they see whitey as king wiv all else is inferior...these girls r so senselessly dumb and brainwashed tht they prefer to unashamedly stick their middle finger up at where their roots and throw it all away..decades and decades of it...for wat they think is 'freedom'? and they dont wanna hear anything else from anyone else. are these girls ever gonna realise tht everyone in the world is and always will be a slave - freedom/liberty is just a myth but refined with 'generosity' to fool...we've still got the power and choice in deciding our own damage limitation...cuz we have a strong culture...and yh some parts of it are similar to others...but this mix is unique.

its like the song from few decades ago 'if everybody looked the same, we'd get tired of looking at each otha...' soon it's gonna be 'tired of accompanying each otha' since the aforementioned aspects of culture will be near identical or exactly the same...then later generations may decide to search for something different...only to find a lot of the world did the same thing and now more and more has become a 'bore and bore', bland and bakvaas...so who's the winner here? well it aint tht hard to guess for some of us....

On 1/29/2019 at 3:47 AM, BhForce said:

Mind-blowing, @Sukhvirk1976

Because we are talking in English on a board where the majority of posters are living in Western countries. The whole concept of dating came from the West to us.

Asking "why are you concerned with the Western definition of dating" is like asking "why are you concerned with the Punjabi definition of maya". It's a Punjabi/Indian word, for crying out loud.

1. You surely accept the concept of dating is Western, do you not?

2. If not, go ahead and tell us the Punjabi word for dating.

Do you honestly think that the SIkh community in the diaspora will not have changes to their marriage practices over the coming generations?

It's already changing.

A lot of families (even more conservative ones) don't see it as a bad idea that potential couples meet up before agreeing to marriage. This doesn't necessarily mean that they will start shagging. 

42 minutes ago, puzzled said:

I'm fine with marrying a non Punjabi! 

Asians can be really annoying and complicated sometimes, Everyone else is so chilled and layed back.

Panjabis can be irritating as heck. Especially the low IQ pendu types that ironically think they are the dog's gonads. 

And that whole extended family thing..................phew!!

Damn, I don't want to go to damn weddings every other damn weekend where it looks like a crass, giant Christmas tree with all out decorations. Or sitting around having boring, superficial conversations whilst stuffing myself with super high carb samosas, mittai etc. Having the displeasure of having to rub shoulders with spoilt momma's boys too. And girls that exude slapper vibes from a hundred paces away. Completely non-stimulating, not to mention depressing. 

The post-annexation dumbing down of apnay is in full pervasive effect.