Would you be ok with your sister or daughter marrying a black or white Sikh?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh please. You basically want to pontificate and talk about stuff without using anything of any substance to support your views 

Since I’ve “assumed” the name of a man who was proud to be black until 1984, all I can say is you must be cautious because once you go black, you never go back!

Some lines that show how Sikhs should view other Sikhs/women/sisters/friends (hint--don't be catty):   ਆਵਹੁ ਭੈਣੇ ਗਲਿ ਮਿਲਹ ਅੰਕਿ ਸਹੇਲੜੀਆਹ ॥ Come, my dear sisters and spiritual companions;

Maybe I have a different take on this stuff because my mom is white, but I personally don't have an issue with it. 
I don't have any children, as I'm a bit too young for that now, but if I were to I wouldn't care so much if they married someone who wasn't a Jat or otherwise Punjabi. I would be more concerned with their hypothetical spouses faith/morals. I say faith/morals, because well... the faith aspect is obvious. I would GREATLY prefer they marry a Sikh, even if they were non-practicing. That said, if it is a person of another faith, I would hope they would be of some high moral standing (ie: don't drink, don't do drugs, pray/meditate every day, kind, ect.). 
But as far as race is concerned, I really couldn't care less. I'm sure a good handful of peeps on here will find issue with what I've said, but lets just agree to disagree. This is just my personal opinion. 

8 hours ago, vtheawesome said:

But as far as race is concerned, I really couldn't care less. I'm sure a good handful of peeps on here will find issue with what I've said, but lets just agree to disagree.

That's not exactly what @GuestSingh was talking about, mere skin color. He's talking more about heritage and culture. That a lot of white people (not all) are just looking for "the next new thing". And when they get tired of it, they'll either make your daughter's life hell, or divorce her.

And he doesn't want that.

14 hours ago, Sukhvirk1976 said:

Why would I date my sister? 

Exactly. Thanks for your answer, by the way.

You wouldn't date your sister (and neither should anyone else).

And we're told to treat women other than your wife as sisters. 

Therefore, you wouldn't date anyone that you're not married to.

9 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

This seems to be directed towards men in their relationship with women.

However, it does not provide context of how women should treat other women.

What?

Granted that this very tuk doesn't provide that context (of women treating other women). 

But why do you need a separate tuk for that? Just treat them normally (not as a sexual partner, of course).

Like a friend or sister.

Guest GuestSingh
1 hour ago, BhForce said:

That's not exactly what @GuestSingh was talking about, mere skin color. He's talking more about heritage and culture. That a lot of white people (not all) are just looking for "the next new thing". And when they get tired of it, they'll either make your daughter's life hell, or divorce her.

And he doesn't want that.

thts ryt bro...pioneers of the 'fad' whos gonna see sikhi as 'cool' and 'mysterious' before moving onto something 'different'...

and despite all the faults of our own (of which there are countless), u still generally no wat ur gonna get since its 'tried n tested' - same language, similar heritage, resembling cultural values, closely-related life experiences especially in the west etc.

everyones gonna have their own opinion on this but imo the more 'rooted' a plant/tree in the aforementioned, the more 'secure' and 'gurmat' in its identity i.e. sikhi - just throw away the bad stuff but keep and nourish the rest....

11 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Before we go any further you know this forum can be seen by any age group.  If you want women to treat another woman in some promiscuous way.   Keep that thought in your mind and only there.  

1 hour ago, BhForce said:

What?

Granted that this very tuk doesn't provide that context (of women treating other women). 

But why do you need a separate tuk for that? Just treat them normally (not as a sexual partner, of course).

Like a friend or sister.

Hes very confused.   I think he wanted to write that on another forum.  He got confused and couldn't tell what forum he is on.

2 hours ago, BhForce said:

What?

Like a friend or sister.

This tuk does seem to be viewed as something very much geared towards men.

Women don't treat each other like friends but aa competitors.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Akalifauj said:

Before we go any further you know this forum can be seen by any age group.  If you want women to treat another woman in some promiscuous way.   Keep that thought in your mind and only there.  

Your binary thinking thinks in one way.

If this is talking about lust, yes it is geared towards men but if this is talking about other things greater than just mere lust in your conduct towards women then it needs to be looked into further depth.

15 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

I think this translation is quite flawed. If we took a more literal approach it could read:

When [one] sees good (note the word 'chungian' here!) women, perceive them as mothers, sisters and daughters. 

The question then is what about when we see not so 'chungian' women? 

then the other pangtian regarding nindian chugli , ahankar, nastiks, kaam give clear indication of what to do , run away run away , do not associate etc .

4 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Your binary thinking thinks in one way.

If this is talking about lust, yes it is geared towards men but if this is talking about other things greater than just mere lust in your conduct towards women then it needs to be looked into further depth.

No, the threads name is marrying another race who is Sikh and than one self hating punjabi said, why can't we date? @BhForce provided proof to treat every women as either mother daughter or sister and you come up with a naive assertion of but it doesn't say how woman should treat other woman.  In this context your assertion made no sense other than to accept it as some how woman have a lope hole on how they should treat other woman in regarding promiscuity.  Even in this post you were unable to point out what exactly your were referring too.  Instead you accuse me of being a right wing thinker compared to you the holy feminist of non binary'ism'.  Even @BhForce had to write, not as a sexual partner of course.'  Now we see the back peddling from you by blaming others to have unclean thinking and you are not willing to define exactly what type of relationship you were referring too.   

1 hour ago, Akalifauj said:

No, the threads name is marrying another race who is Sikh and than one self hating punjabi said, why can't we date? @BhForce provided proof to treat every women as either mother daughter or sister and you come up with a naive assertion of but it doesn't say how woman should treat other woman.  In this context your assertion made no sense other than to accept it as some how woman have a lope hole on how they should treat other woman in regarding promiscuity.  Even in this post you were unable to point out what exactly your were referring too.  Instead you accuse me of being a right wing thinker compared to you the holy feminist of non binary'ism'.  Even @BhForce had to write, not as a sexual partner of course.'  Now we see the back peddling from you by blaming others to have unclean thinking and you are not willing to define exactly what type of relationship you were referring too.   

Of course you are absolutely correct

19 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Some lines that show how Sikhs should view other Sikhs/women/sisters/friends (hint--don't be catty):

ਆਵਹੁ ਭੈਣੇ ਗਲਿ ਮਿਲਹ ਅੰਕਿ ਸਹੇਲੜੀਆਹ ॥

Come, my dear sisters and spiritual companions; hug me close in your embrace.

ਮਿਲਿ ਕੈ ਕਰਹ ਕਹਾਣੀਆ ਸੰਮ੍ਰਥ ਕੰਤ ਕੀਆਹ ॥

Let's join together, and tell stories of our All-powerful Husband Lord.

ਆਵਹੁ ਭੈਣੇ ਤੁਸੀ ਮਿਲਹੁ ਪਿਆਰੀਆ ॥

Come, dear sisters-let us join together.

ਜੋ ਮੇਰਾ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮੁ ਦਸੇ ਤਿਸ ਕੈ ਹਉ ਵਾਰੀਆ ॥

I am a sacrifice to the one who tells me of my Beloved.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਖੀ ਸਹੇਲੀ ਮੇਰੀ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਦੇਵਹੁ ਦਾਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਜੀਵਾਇਆ ॥

O Gurmukhs O my female friends and companions give me the gift of the Lord's Name, the life of my very life.

ਹਮ ਹੋਵਹ ਲਾਲੇ ਗੋਲੇ ਗੁਰਸਿਖਾ ਕੇ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ ॥੧॥

I am the slave, the servant of the Guru's Sikhs, who meditate on the Lord God, the Primal Being, night and day. ||1||

ਮੇਰੈ ਮਨਿ ਤਨਿ ਬਿਰਹੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਪਗ ਲਾਇਆ ॥

Within my mind and body, I have enshrined love for the feet of the Guru's Sikhs.

ਮੇਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਸਖਾ ਗੁਰ ਕੇ ਸਿਖ ਭਾਈ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਕਰਹੁ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਹਰਿ ਮਿਲੈ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

O my life-mates, O Sikhs of the Guru, O Siblings of Destiny, instruct me in the Teachings, that I might merge in the Lord's Merger. ||1||Pause||

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸੁਨਹੁ ਮੇਰੀ ਭੈਨਾ ॥

As Gurmukh, listen to the Naam, the Name of the Lord, O my sisters.
ਏਕੋ ਰਵਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਘਟ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਮੁਖਿ ਬੋਲਹੁ ਗੁਰ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਬੈਨਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

The One Lord is pervading and permeating deep within the heart; with your mouth, recite the Ambrosial Hymns of the Guru. ||1||Pause||

• Like 2