Abortion

puzzled

10 hours ago, puzzled said:

Read an article today about how a young couple decided to abort their child after the 22 week scan because the doctors said the there are strong chances that the baby will have a challenging life because there is something wrong with the babies spine.

What would the sikh point of view be on this?

In sikhi it is wrong to abort as you are killing an unborn child, in sikhi abortion is considered killing. We also believe that the unborn child is in a meditative state in remembrance of waheguru. 

But what if you find out that the baby has a serious condition which will give it a very challenging life? Spine related, disability, mentally not well, deformed, not properly developed or even life threatening, and other things on this line ? Is it still wrong for the parents to abort it?

I have a cousin in his mid 30s who was born paralysed from waist down, he cant walk so has been on a wheelchair all his life, he cant use the toilet so has to wear a nappy at all times which his parents put on him as he can not move. It is not easy and is a very very hard life. I have have see how hard it is. Its not easy for a parent to see their adult son like this.

So is it ok to abort the baby if it is not well(if the parents want to)  or would it still be wrong in sikhi? 

On one had waheguru has given you a child and it doesn't matter if it is well or not but waheguru still gave you it and trusted you with the responsibility of caring for it and looking after it So it's wrong to abort it    on the other hand it is very hard and some parents believe the best thing would be to abort it for the child's sake.

Waheguru 

what if the mothers life is danger too ...   .... ?

6 hours ago, Akalifauj said:

Abortion is killing a baby.  

Would someone kill their parent who is solely dependent on his children because of having something wrong with his spine?

The feminist and their supporters use the word fetus to dehumanize the baby that has a distinct DNA at the point of concpetion.

A high majority of babies are aborted today because the woman was having casual sexual relationships and got pregnant.

4 hours ago, Akalifauj said:

There is that word again, fetus.  Why can't you use the word baby because that's what it is?  I know because calling the baby a baby would been you are advocating for murder of a human.  For you it's a baby when the parents want it and it's a 'fetus' when the girl got knocked up because she wanted to have sexual relationships but did not want to take on the responsibility that comes with such risky behavior with strangers.

Don't make up lies about Sikhi and Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.  Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji says first have faith in the Guru and speak honesty.   You were in such a rush to spread your feminist views you could not take a minute to even do a quick search of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji to see what the Guru is actually saying.  How can life enter after three months when something doesn't have life then it doesn't exist. Everything has life therefore it exist.  Time to tune up your lying skills. No such rehatnama exist.  You are making up lies to appeal to authority.   First authority you used was Sikhi, then Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji then sgpc and lastly rehatnama, which none state what you are imposing on them.  

What you meant to say was, you watched the faithless Guruka Singh video and he imposed his views on Sikhi and now you are the learned Sikh.

There is a reason why I am being very assertive with you.  I don't take murder of anyone lightly.  Especially of a baby who innocently started to form as a distinct being after concpetion.  It's not abortion, its murder.

if it is sooooooooooooooooooooooo bad, why do people do it

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh
8 hours ago, GuestSingh said:

what do u think jagsaw? a panjabi dr for health and nutrition appeared on tv a few years ago informing us how dozens of apnia in the uk alone are shamelessly running to these clinics on a regular basis...u still believe woman - who destroys living beings in their womb - can still save man from....destroying those living beings...on earth?

I don't have very strong opinions either way about this and, because I'm not a doctor and have no medical training whatsoever I'm not knowledgable enough to know about the development of mind and feelings in fetuses. I would like to think that when a fetus is able to experience pain it is plain murder to subject it to that pain by causing it's destruction. At what stage in pregnancy that actually is I don't know. This is really a philosophical discussion about the essence of 'being'. At what stage is that fetus in it's mother's belly an actual being. ?  I don't know.

Guest London jwaan

The above comments contain a lot of conjecture and personal opinion. At the time of the gurus, abortion did not exist. So by definition, sikhi does not have a clear position on abortion.

Determining whether sikhi considers a foetus to be a human, is also a matter of interpretation. 

And for the extremists amongst us who are ready to wave their kirpans around their heads for any reason, consider the situation if a girl was raped and became pregnant, does sikhi require her to keep the baby? In giving an answer, please refer to the precise slok that stipulates this or not unconditionally.

That's right, there isn't one......

On 1/24/2019 at 2:18 PM, puzzled said:

some parents believe the best thing would be to abort it for the child's sake.

You know very well that the reason for killing the child is for the parents' sake, not the child's.

It's so crazy that people on this site ask "Is it OK to do X?"

Get it into your heads, folks: Sikhism believes in karma. What you do will be done to you.

If you kill a child in its mother's womb, you will be cut up in the womb.

ਜੇਹਾ ਬੀਜੈ ਸੋ ਲੁਣੈ ਕਰਮਾ ਸੰਦੜਾ ਖੇਤੁ ॥

Jaehaa Beejai So Lunai Karamaa Sandharraa Khaeth ||

As she has planted, so does she harvest; such is the field of karma.

On 1/24/2019 at 3:09 PM, Wicked Warrior said:

Does Sikhi recognise unborn children as human? If not, then abortion would be fine.

Well, what else is it? A newt? Or a dragonfly?

On 1/24/2019 at 3:09 PM, Wicked Warrior said:

I’ve encountered women who’ve been physically or verbally abused by their husbands who blame their wives for giving birth to such children.

Fools the whole lot of them. Dumb men, dumb mother-in-laws.

On 1/24/2019 at 4:18 PM, Guest guest said:

i cant remember the details, but i remember reading that the belief in sikhi is that the life enters the foetus after a certain period (i think before 3 months?  i really dont remember).

There is simply no such "belief". It was simply made up by "Yogi Bhajan" to please his followers.

Christians used to have a belief in something called the "quickening", which means that supposedly the soul enters the baby after a few months.

It's totally unscientific, don't fall for it.

i think this is if the child would be severly effected or the pregnancy is due to rape etc. 

If you can't go and kill the rapist on your own, on what basis can you go and kill another party?

i think the time period in from a verse in SGGS.the SGPC rehitnama states it.

No it does not. Go ahead and quote it, if you want.

On 1/24/2019 at 5:44 PM, Akalifauj said:

Abortion is killing a baby.  

Would someone kill their parent who is solely dependent on his children because of having something wrong with his spine?

The feminist and their supporters use the word fetus to dehumanize the baby that has a distinct DNA at the point of concpetion.

A high majority of babies are aborted today because the woman was having casual sexual relationships and got pregnant.

Bravo.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:15 PM, Guest Truth said:

Does anyone have any idea how many abortions are done because the in laws insist on having a boy? If a female is confirmed as being expected, then the daughter in law is rushed to many of the clinics here in downtown.   I can testify that we have over at least 4/week just in Vancouver area.  

I agree that this happens. They are liable to be judged by the Dharam Raaj in hell.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:15 PM, Guest Truth said:

Killing an unborn is no way justified in sikhi. 

Well, it's justified to save your life. Which is not the case in the vast majority of abortions (above 99%).