Gurdwara Langar Halls

Big_Tera

2 hours ago, GuestSingh said:

how?

if someone's living rough on the streets and intoxicated with alcohol, drugs etc. they aint gonna look/smell very nice are they?

pls just call it as u see it and dnt cry foul all the tym at any given opportunity....

"Rough looking person" and someone "intoxicated on drugs etc." are two different things brother.

and if someone is on wrong path, your job is to preach goodness to them, not to Shoo them away. We all have a responsibility towards society. Know your Worth. Dont spread Hate. 

Guest GuestSingh
9 minutes ago, Amit12 said:

"Rough looking person" and someone "intoxicated on drugs etc." are two different things brother.

and if someone is on wrong path, your job is to preach goodness to them, not to Shoo them away. We all have a responsibility towards society. Know your Worth. Dont spread Hate. 

bro hate and frustration are two different things...

but ur right about 'responsibility'...and being full of imperfections and sins myself, any 'preaching' is only gonna be for those worth saving and not so far gone as a lost cause...determining priorities thru my limited thinking....

33 minutes ago, GuestSingh said:

bro hate and frustration are two different things...

but ur right about 'responsibility'...and being full of imperfections and sins myself, any 'preaching' is only gonna be for those worth saving and not so far gone as a lost cause...determining priorities thru my limited thinking....

If We are all children of God, Then How do you know if someone is WORTH saving or Not. How Do we know that we deserve this life? How to know Someone's worth?  

Do you PREACH/HELP only to those people who look Rich? or from the same background? or Dresses well ?

Guest GuestSingh
9 minutes ago, Amit12 said:

If We are all children of God, Then How do you know if someone is WORTH saving or Not. How Do we know that we deserve this life? How to know Someone's worth?  

Do you PREACH/HELP only to those people who look Rich? or from the same background? or Dresses well ?

my priority is the good ones among our community, the ones who need help, who are relatable thru similar choices/decisions/lifestyle etc. cuz no-one else is gonna do it...

yh this makes someone lyk seem selfish but so be it...cuz again...no-one else is gonna do it.

as for ur other questions, only akaal purakh knows the answers since they go beyond our wildest imagination let alone simple thought processes and limited understanding....

17 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

Have Gurdwara langar halls become soup kitchens for homeless? I have noticed many roughed up people comming to the gurdwara. Many dont look particularly friendly . 

Ie I saw some Arabic guy once  and also quite a few blacks in southall. 

Now I know Langar is meant for all regardless of their background.. But many of these guys look like they could do with a wash and some may have been intoxicated with alcohol and drugs.

There is one particular white guy that looks completely out of it. Comes to Gurdwara has langar then just hangs around in the langar hall for about 30 minutes making everyone uncomfortable. 

You have a point. 

The Langar system should remain as it is, open to all regardless of race, gender, etc., BUT there needs to be perhaps the presence of "security" / enforcers to remind some of these elements who do consider Langar to be nothing but a soup kitchen that IF they step out of line, they will be ejected. You can see it in the eyes of SOME of these individuals; they're taking the pi55 and eating the food, and they know that very rarely anyone is going to step up and sort them out IF they take liberties. Not all of them but a few. The old uncles and babeh can't do a thing if they needed to sort someone out; the bibyah would be less than useless. Unfortunately, all younger guys are at work during the week, so I don't see from where that presence will arrive. 

But, yes, this issue needs to be discussed among whichever official Gurdwara group / council we have in the UK, and then advice should be disseminated to all Gurdwaras in the country. It's something that has the potential to escalate if not tackled now. 

Of course, we must deal with this potential problem in a way that reflects favourably on us as a faith and a community. Behaving as if these homeless guys and drug addicts (let's be honest, most are addicts) are a nuisance or a threat that need to be corralled like unruly beasts is not the way to deal with it. It kind of defeats the purpose of langar. 

And as has been pointed out. Anyone with an iota of common sence would know I am refering to anyone unsavoury that comes to the Gurdwara regardless of their ethnicity, race religion ect. 

Obviously it is easier to deal with our own people. As they would not dare mess about in the Gurdwara for fear of the bibia. 

But with other religions and races its a delicate balancing act, to be firm with trouble makers but fair and not discriminatory or offending others. 

The protocol of the gurdwara rules should be followed at all time. No drink or drug intake and being respectfull to all. 

30 minutes ago, MichaelJackson said:

So go tell your gurdwara committee to “enforce the rules” then.  Why are you coming on here and crying to us? If you don’t like the drunk white dude loitering around the langar hall, tell him to take a hike. Simple!

I will and this is a forum to discuss and share. If you dont want to do this then dont post messages. Simples. 

5 minutes ago, Big_Tera said:

I will and this is a forum to discuss and share. If you dont want to do this then dont post messages. Simples. 

The moment I hit “submit reply” I’m sharing something with the world. Basically, I think you’re all talk and aren’t going to do anything. Prove me wrong by posting a video of you actually confronting someone who is breaking the rules in gurdwara.