puzzled

Sikhism in Austria

Does anyone on here know anything about sikhs in Austria. My mum recently came back from India and discovered these photographs of my nanis father as a young man, so my great grandad and also another photo of him as a 6 year boy with his father who is my great great grandad! The photos were taken in austria. These photos are amazing  they were really handsome men and looked like gentlemen   really well dressed.   The photo with my great grandad as a young man he is wearing uniform, he was in the army in Austria   that's something that my nani always used to tell us that her father was in the army, and the photo my mum found of him he is in his uniform!  We don't know much about him but that he died sometime back in the 40s and my family received a letter in Punjabi saying he passed away.  My nani never met her father, he came India got married and went back to Austria, my nani was born afterwards and never met him. He died a dew years after she was born.

So does anyone know anything about sikhs in Austria and how they got there and why they went there? The photo with him as a 6 year old with his father must of been take  back in the 1910s   we know nothing about his father! But his like sitting on the chair with a pagh and suit. 

There is absolutely no info on sikh history in Austria  

If anyone knows anything then that would be great 

Edited by puzzled
  • Thanks 1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
6 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Does anyone on here know anything about sikhs in Austria. My mum recently came back from India and discovered these photographs of my nanis father as a young man, so my great grandad and also another photo of him as a 6 year boy with his father who is my great great grandad! The photos were taken in austria. These photos are amazing  they were really handsome men and looked like gentlemen   really well dressed.   The photo with my great grandad as a young man he is wearing uniform, he was in the army in Austria   that's something that my nani always used to tell us that her father was in the army, and the photo my mum found of him he is in his uniform!  We don't know much about him but that he died sometime back in the 40s and my family received a letter in Punjabi saying he passed away.  My nani never met her father, he came India got married and went back to Austria, my nani was born afterwards and never met him. He died a dew years after she was born.

So does anyone know anything about sikhs in Austria and how they got there and why they went there? The photo with him as a 6 year old with his father must of been take  back in the 1910s   we know nothing about his father! But his like sitting on the chair with a pagh and suit. 

There is absolutely no info on sikh history in Austria  

If anyone knows anything then that would be great 

There is a community in Austria. There are quite a few in Vienna.

The bulk of the community is fairly recent, mostly illegal.

You will find our community predominantly in cabbing and newspaper deliveries. 

16 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Yeah I read how there were some clashes between sikh groups there a few years back

Seems like a small community though 

48 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

There was a significant period of emigration from the Austrian Sikh community to the UK from approx 2001. Most are now well settled and have assumed British citizenship. There's still a sizeable Sikh community in the country, though. 

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

There was a significant period of emigration from the Austrian Sikh community to the UK from approx 2001. Most are now well settled and have assumed British citizenship. There's still a sizeable Sikh community in the country, though. 

As with many Sikhs in the EU, the EU countries are largely used as a stepping stone to enter the UK.

There are many Sikhs that come to UK from countries such as Italy and Portugal.

• Like 1

Guest Fax

Yes there about 3,000 Sikhs in Austria.

The population of Austria is about 9 million.

So about one in every 3,000 people in Austria are Sikhs 

8 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

How could they possibly get there illegally? 

Pakistanis get there illegally because the countries in the way (Iran, Turkey, etc.) are Muslim.

How could a Sikh get there? You certainly cannot just walk across the India-Pakistan border.

2 hours ago, BhForce said:

How could they possibly get there illegally? 

Pakistanis get there illegally because the countries in the way (Iran, Turkey, etc.) are Muslim.

How could a Sikh get there? You certainly cannot just walk across the India-Pakistan border.

You'd be surprised. 

Have your heard the term "going donkey"

53 minutes ago, BhForce said:

No, bro, what's that?

It's a term for illegal migrants that travel by foot/stowaway through various countries.

It is often very treacherous, going through war zones, subzero temperatures. Being packed into trucks/ships etc.

People die along the way.

I have heard some stories, very unpleasant indeed.

Was he part of the Austro-hungarian forces?  It may be possible considering at the time it was one of the most diverse armies. Or it could be that he was in the British forces on some mission there since we dont have the pics of him, perhaps you could send a scan of it to a history subreddit and see what they come up with.

If possible look through the british archieves for something on involvement in the 1910s in the austrohungarian empire, maybe something will come up, by 1920 around 600000 foreigners were in austria alone, it does not sound that crazy a sikh would be there

Edited by MahadrasSingh

1 hour ago, MahadrasSingh said:

Was he part of the Austro-hungarian forces?  It may be possible considering at the time it was one of the most diverse armies. Or it could be that he was in the British forces on some mission there since we dont have the pics of him, perhaps you could send a scan of it to a history subreddit and see what they come up with.

59 minutes ago, MahadrasSingh said:

If possible look through the british archieves for something on involvement in the 1910s in the austrohungarian empire, maybe something will come up, by 1920 around 600000 foreigners were in austria alone, it does not sound that crazy a sikh would be there

Thanks man that was really helpful, I'm gonna search that.

His uniform has white belt just under his chest. He was mona so is wearing like one of those hats with the strap that goes under the chin. 

Guest German speaker

So I know a little Austrian History through studying German.

1910s Austria was an amazing time  - Vienna was one of the major centers of European culture and education and awash with major names or art, literature and psychology. 1930s - 1940s was a darker time with the Anschluss and WWII. 

There have been Austrians in the Punjab - Baron von Hugel was a botonist and explore who visited during the 1830s, and Johann Martin Honigberger was a doctor there around the same time. But I've never come across Sikhs in Austria before WWII. 

There are alot of archives online - like birth records and burial records. If you know where they were in Austria, I could probably help more. Was he part of the Austrian army or the British Army in Austria? 

19 hours ago, Guest German speaker said:

So I know a little Austrian History through studying German.

1910s Austria was an amazing time  - Vienna was one of the major centers of European culture and education and awash with major names or art, literature and psychology. 1930s - 1940s was a darker time with the Anschluss and WWII. 

There have been Austrians in the Punjab - Baron von Hugel was a botonist and explore who visited during the 1830s, and Johann Martin Honigberger was a doctor there around the same time. But I've never come across Sikhs in Austria before WWII. 

There are alot of archives online - like birth records and burial records. If you know where they were in Austria, I could probably help more. Was he part of the Austrian army or the British Army in Austria? 

I think he was in the Austrian army. There is a photo of him as a 6 year old with his father in Austria, so he could of been born in Austria. So I doubt he was in the British army.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

Terms of Use