What exactly makes Sikhs full of such virtues I keep hearing of ..

Whenever I hear of Sikh's praises in India or from abroad, one recurring theme is "Sikhs are very hardworking people" . Heck , I even seen a video in which Indira gandhi praised sikh community for its hard work.

Now anyone can be hardworking , if they have that mental state and the grit. 

But is there a particular application of Sikhi faith that makes us so ? also not all sikhs are hardworking, and there're religious sikhs who're lazers too . 

So , what trait is it that , what principle of Gurbani helps us become so ?

1 hour ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

Whenever I hear of Sikh's praises in India or from abroad, one recurring theme is "Sikhs are very hardworking people" . Heck , I even seen a video in which Indira gandhi praised sikh community for its hard work.

But is there a particular application of Sikhi faith that makes us so ? also not all sikhs are hardworking, and there're religious sikhs who're lazers too . 

I think it is because of the fact that most Sikhs come from manual backgrounds (preSIkh heritage) be they peasants, blacksmiths, carpenters etc. You can note that Khatris aren't really into physically manual jobs like other SIkhs are.

Plus all of the military stuff from Guru Hargobind Singh's time onwards and the culture that developed, sort of created a macho Sikh culture which translates into a Sikh work ethic. I've worked with apnay (not solely but more than most vlaathis) and have first hand experience of this from a young age. Not that many if not most pendus don't routinely like like b1tchy fudhoos though. 

You could also interpret it as a form of flattery. I think it's quite patronising, as if all we've to offer are our physical attributes, which is a roundabout way of suggesting we aren't the sharpest tools in the box. I suppose there are worse things to be described as, but it perhaps doesn't ring as true as it once did in the past.

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

You could also interpret it as a form of flattery. I think it's quite patronising, as if all we've to offer are our physical attributes, which is a roundabout way of suggesting we aren't the sharpest tools in the box. I suppose there are worse things to be described as, but it perhaps doesn't ring as true as it once did in the past.

I'm glad you picked up on that. It is a backhanded compliment at best. We are considered simple, docile hardworking mules - I posted you a link to an old gora recruitment guide that shows that they formed this opinion of rural apnay a very long time ago. I think they've fostered and encouraged this thinking amongst our lot too. Another Jedi mind trick (in the words of Jagraj Singh).

I think culturally, being a grafter is considered a sign of manliness in Sikh society. I remember my first job as a teenager in a booze warehouse run by some infamous apnay brothers (who will remain anonymous). The bosses were self-made multimillionaires and they didn't mind getting stuck in with the grafting - compare that to some goray who make peanuts in comparative terms but perceive themselves as some sort of higher being. Anyway, that's how some of us develop this characteristic at a young age. 

We should keep the grafting,  pull your sleeves up mentality but it's a shame we aren't using it build our own society instead of others, who, when you really analyse it - don't really like or respect us. 

5 hours ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

Punjabis are known to be hard workers and in many circustances earning not much for their work. It is something that has been instilled in us from the gurus. Work an honest job even if it does not pay well. The main thing is to earn an hobourable living.