Inter-Racial Marriage Between Sikh and Christian

Guest Guest Amrit

4 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

I'm still wondering about people's notion of 'Panjabi culture'. The way some people are talking is like it has been some generally stable thing for milenia. Is that true?

Didn't all the fluxes due to changes in leadership (Moghul rule, British rule, previous eras where Buddhism must have been an influence on the region) cause changes to the culture. Is culture ever a static thing or something that changes through various influences both external and internal? 

Also, as regards to culture in Panjab, how did this differ across regions and we all know different jaats have different practices and norms too. 

Are we in danger of idealing the past, and creating a vision as a prop to help us through rapidly changing and often confusing times?  

Culture is never static. But it can have characteristics. So it could be said panjabi culture is inherently pluralistic

9 hours ago, Sukhvirk1976 said:

Of course I do.

If it was in Gurmukhi I would still be missing important aspects.. As a student I would always strive to learn and never assume that I have learnt everything that my teacher is teaching me.. Otherwise they would cease being my teacher. 

Some of us feel that there is another dimension to this outside of the purely semantic. The rhythmic, auditory aspect of bani is key to all of this too. When you don't experience that and how that intuitively effects your munh, you are missing a big part of the picture and  that can lead to skewed perceptions. 

On 2/24/2019 at 3:03 PM, dallysingh101 said:

I'm still wondering about people's notion of 'Panjabi culture'. The way some people are talking is like it has been some generally stable thing for milenia. Is that true?

Didn't all the fluxes due to changes in leadership (Moghul rule, British rule, previous eras where Buddhism must have been an influence on the region) cause changes to the culture. Is culture ever a static thing or something that changes through various influences both external and internal? 

Also, as regards to culture in Panjab, how did this differ across regions and we all know different jaats have different practices and norms too. 

Are we in danger of idealing the past, and creating a vision as a prop to help us through rapidly changing and often confusing times?  

Its definetly not static. 

Just look at our clothes. The panjabi ourfit used to be ghaghra and dhoti. Then in the 1900s it changed to salwaar kameez and kurtey pajame.

My nani tells how her grandma would not leave the house without a ghagra. She would wear a salwaar at home but when going to the khet, she would tie a ghaghra on top. 

The salwaar kameez and kurta pajama seems to be from turkey/yemen area as ive seen those ppl wear it too. And the chole are definetly a mongol/mughal thing.

Our language has also changed. I wonder if original panjabi is lost since most of the words we use are farsi/arabic words.

For example ive been trying to find how to say wrong and right in panjabi without using arabic galat/saheeh. But besides teek/nahi teek, i cant find any words. 

Food has definetly changed too. Now saag and makki di roti is panjabs main dish. Although corn, potatoes, tomatoes were only discovered in americas and were not part of our diet. Not to mention tea.

Because most of our ancestors used brij bhasa or farsi/urdu to write our literature that is lost to modern ppls. And our illiterate ancestors had oral history in kahania, baata, wedding songs. That were passed generation to generstion, those are lost.

Some constants would be values: respecting elders, anakh, self sufficience, helping the family/community. But those are being lost as well.

The freedom of women was severly restricted due to mughal times and has become the norm. 

So if most of what makes a culture: food, literature, songs, festivals, language, clothes has changed. How is our culture not changed? 

think salwar kameez came to india from the afghan/persian invaders.  ghagra choli is indian while men wear chadar.

even kabaadi is south indian apparently lol!   think the first kabaadi was played in the mahabharta between kirshna and arjuna.

i think in recent times hindi has had a big influence on Punjabi.  

1 hour ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Just look at our clothes. The panjabi ourfit used to be ghaghra and dhoti. Then in the 1900s it changed to salwaar kameez and kurtey pajame.

I doubt even that was consistent across the board. I'd bet different jaats developed different clothing norms to suit their particular lives. Different clothes signified status too. Look at all the clothing worn by sardars during the Sikh kingdom for example. 

SikhWedding.jpg

sikh-nobles.jpg

Maharaja-Ranjit-Singh-3.jpg

557bff08684e5.jpg?r=1405005309

This traditional outfit is even more skimpy than what modern apneean wear! lol

557bfa527a612.jpg?r=2109614760

71abaed96b16d81a258a450477eae40d.jpg