Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh

Things you never see

On 2/23/2019 at 12:37 PM, Ranjeet01 said:

Our people have always had a fondness for all things German going back decades. BMWs, Mercs and VWs have always been popular amongst our lot.

I think that the fact that we have fought against Germans  in 2 world wars, we have developed a respect for them.

I think it is just the reputation of German cars, and in reality no Sikhs care for World War 2 and the Germans of that time.

On 2/23/2019 at 7:43 PM, Ranjeet01 said:

In the UK, having a BMW, Mercedes is not really a big deal.

This is not true. 

It is seen as a massive deal to be driving Merv/BMW/Audi/Range Rover in my experience 

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Guest Manbir Singh

Things you never see - Any so called “Khalistani” willing to go to Punjab. Always lame excuse, Singh’s were tortured/killed and the Kharku brigade siting in comfort. 

9 hours ago, Premi5 said:

I think it is just the reputation of German cars, and in reality no Sikhs care for World War 2 and the Germans of that time.

This is not true. 

It is seen as a massive deal to be driving Merv/BMW/Audi/Range Rover in my experience 

Driving these cars have become quite common. You see them everywhere .

I think the German respect is more at subconscious level but it seems to have stemmed from the World Wars

I recall a letter by a WW1 Sikh soldier mentioning how strong the German was, clearly if you come over the trenches there would have been hand to hand combat if one was able to dodge the bullets  

I remember in the 80's and 90s when the German football team was supported by UK Sikhs. 

This is just my view 

7 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Driving these cars have become quite common. You see them everywhere .

I think the German respect is more at subconscious level but it seems to have stemmed from the World Wars

I recall a letter by a WW1 Sikh soldier mentioning how strong the German was, clearly if you come over the trenches there would have been hand to hand combat if one was able to dodge the bullets  

I remember in the 80's and 90s when the German football team was supported by UK Sikhs. 

This is just my view 

That's funny because I read about coded letters sent by WW1 Sikh soldiers in Europe back to India saying: "The black pepper is stronger than the red pepper." Which was taken as a code that they thought the brown soldiers were stronger than the white ones? 

On 2/5/2019 at 11:51 AM, Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh said:

1)  a homeless Gujarati

2) an Asian driving a Skoda

3) a desi home that has dug up the concrete outside and planted some grass

4) a rich Sikh with a social conscience

5) any Sikh in the west going on and on about 1984 widows and orphans and actually putting his money where his mouth is and marrying one of the poor orphans

6) any desi / sikh photograph about something an organisation is doing that doesn't have 100 people standing behind the main person in the photograph

7) an Indian / Punjabi news segment that is not accompanied by dramatic music

8.  anyone with anything interesting to say on sikhsangat.com

9) pavements covered in dog poo. When i was a kid the pavements were full of it and new shoes were guaranteed to be ruined on the first day due to dog sh$t everywhere and most of it was white !!

10) drunk scotsmen / irishmen - the streets used to be full of them. Where'd they all go ?

11) an unattractive Polish girl

12) an attractive Polish man

13) a midlands middle aged uncle not wearing a suit blazer

14) a women from India with feet that are not deformed

15) an apni school headmaster who is not a lesbian...or at least looks like a lesbian

16) brown / black people mountaineering, river rafting, camping.

17) scottish pound notes -  to be cheap at weddings without being seen to be cheap

The dog sh1te thing still exists. just go to certain areas up north. 

I think they brought in penalties and fines for dirty dog owners that let their dog sh1te all over the place. 

On 2/25/2019 at 8:03 PM, dallysingh101 said:

That's funny because I read about coded letters sent by WW1 Sikh soldiers in Europe back to India saying: "The black pepper is stronger than the red pepper." Which was taken as a code that they thought the brown soldiers were stronger than the white ones? 

Could well be possibly the case.

But I guess sometimes there is respect for adversary. 

Germans generally are taller and better built than the Brits. 

Things you Never see, numbers 27 and 28:

27) Any Tv Programme on BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and SKY 1 fullfilling the 'ethnic' quota that doesn't star Nish Kumar or Romesh Ranganathan. 

Any TV schedule for coming week:

• 7:30 pm BBC1 : Join Ramesh Ranganathan as he journeys across America on a unicycle
  • 21:00 Sky 1 : Watch the hilaraity as Nish Kumar attempts to cross Russia whilst dressed as a cross-dressing cossack
  • 21:45 Channel 4: In this heartbreaking episode friends Romesh Ranganathan and Nish Kumar go fishing in the Cotswolds only to discover that their friend Mobeen left the box of maggots in the boot of his Honda Civic.

Yes. As far as British TV executives and producers are concerned these 2 men (who make up 0.00000000000001% of the UK Asian population) are actually 100% of the UK Asian population.

28) Any advert on TV that does not contain an overweight black lady laughing / deleriously smiling.  Because, in TV executive land, that's what black people do. They are doing so well in life and society's been so good to them they just can't hide their contentment and spend on average 23.5 hours per day in a permanent state of laughter.....apparently.

29) My kids saying to me at Asda: "no dad.....we don't want crisps / ice cream / sweets. Why don't you use the money we saved on a complete DVD box-set of The Wire instead"

Things you never thought you'd hear someone say:

30) " I live in the world's greatest city but wish to move to Smethwick instead"

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• Very interesting it's just used a lot by others like the sun disk of Egypt etc. Have not seen it myself used in Sikhi before today.
    • This was a common motif/symbol in Sikhi and is still utilised by the Dal Panth. The Surya or Suraj is a reference to the dynasty (Suryavanshi) which Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji and therefore the Khalsa Panth belongs to as mentioned in Bachittar Natak and other texts. ਜਾਂ ਦਿਨ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਛਕਤ ਯਹਿ, ਰਹਤ ਨ ਪਿਛਲੀ ਜਾਤਿ । On that day when you take Amrit [Khandey Di Pahul], the commandment is that you do not have a previous Caste. ਜ੍ਯੋਂ ਭ੍ਰਿੰਗੀ ਹ੍ਵੈ ਕੀਟ ਤੈ, ਤ੍ਯੋਂ ਸਿਖ ਹ੍ਵੈ ਗੁਰੁ ਜਾਤਿ ॥੨੪॥ In the same way a Bhringi, which transforms a [low] insect into a beautiful butterfly, a Sikh turns [beautiful] and adopts the Gurus Caste. ਸੂਰਜ ਬੰਸੀ ਦਸਮ ਗੁਰੁ, ਛੱਤ੍ਰੀ ਭਏ ਪ੍ਰਸਿੱਧ । The Tenth Guru is from the Suraj Bans (Surya Vansh Lineage), the famous Kshatriya caste. ਯਾਹੀਂ ਤੇ ਸਭਿ ਖਾਲਸਾ, ਛੱਤ੍ਰੀ ਬਰਣ ਅਬਿੱਧ ॥੨੫॥ In this way all the Khalsa turn into one of Kshastriya. [Naveen Panth Prakash, pg. 1581, Vol. 3]     ^ a Surajmukhi emblem being carried with Guru Sahibs entourage.     ^ The same emblem being used by the Nihangs today     ^ On the hilt of a Sikh Shastar     ^ A battle standard from the Sikh Empire with a Surya   ^ Surya logo   Gurbar Akaal!
    • Interesting there is sun emblem on the shield 
    • right veerji , I meant attachment to worldly affairs , btw which site / app you use for quoting gurbani 
    • Didn't know we were allowed to have Tombs 

Important Information

Terms of Use