old historical buildings

Guest guest

On 2/9/2019 at 1:40 AM, Guest guest said:

Puzzled these images are amazing, thank you!

may i ask, what is a baradhari?

baradhari is a big room with 12 (bara) open arches. These structures were very common in the old days as Punjab is a very hot place. So people used to sit under it and the open arches used to let air/wind blow in.

here is maharaja ranjit singhs baradhari in Lahore (sadly)  its inside this baradhari that he used to hold court/darbar. Maharaja ranjit singhs baradhari was originally 2 stories but the 1st floor was struck by lightening and got damaged, paki authorities never bothered repairing it, so now its just one single floor. Back in the khalsa raj days this building would of been surrounded by Singhs in expensive robes and shastars, warriors, nihangs, musicians, flags, horses, fountains, exotic fruit trees, kashmiri carpets etc   

Bara_Dari_East_%26_North_facing_sides_of_The_12_door_building_July_1_2005.jpg

Hazuri_Bagh_Baradari_infront_of_Roshnai_Gate.JPG

here is what it looked like with the 2nd floor which was destroyed 

Related image

Behind it is Lahore fort. Another thing to note about Maharaja ranjit singh is that he never used any building built by the Mughals, neither did he ever take seat or hold darbar in them. But he did appreciate their beauty and got them repaired when he took over Lahore.

the garden around the baradhari is called hazuri bagh and was also constructed under the orders of Maharaja ranjit singh. in his days it was planted with exotic fruit trees. 

14 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Here is a painting done my a european artist of Maharaja ranjit singh holding darbar in the baradhari. the artist lived in the sikh empire for a bit and did this painting when he returned to his country. You can see how busy it used to be... 

Image result for sikh empire painting

Love this pic! That artist was a genius. One of the best around at the time! He was Hungarian, his name was August Schoefft. Like most geniuses he went bonkers in the end. 

He nearly got got killed by nihungs because they thought he was smoking whilst he was painting  Harmandir Sahib (he claimed that he simply had paint brushes in his mouth?)

There's a book out about him:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brushing-Fate-Gabriella-Szvoboda-Dománszky/dp/1911271040/ref=pd_sbs_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1911271040&pd_rd_r=ef436c57-8df4-11e8-a6fd-4df13460a22d&pd_rd_w=TgzcR&pd_rd_wg=9T8Se&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=5179604776422437276&pf_rd_r=0X2WV57X8V1D309YM457&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=0X2WV57X8V1D309YM457

For the sheer range of 19th-century subjects depicted, the itinerant oil painter August Schoefft has no equal. His staggering portfolio of portraits includes a Russian emperor, the last Mughal Emperor, a Sikh King bedecked with the Koh-i-Noor, members of the robber-murderer cult of Thugees, the Kashmiri wife of a European mercenary and Native American Indians. With an astonishingly quick brush Schoefft captured them, and a host of landscapes, with an almost photographic realism.Lured east by the promise of the picturesque and exotic, Schoefft left his sleepy studio in Budapest to paint his way through Turkey, Syria, Egypt, Mesopotamia and Persia. He reached India in 1838 and royal patronage soon followed. He narrowly escaped death in the Sikh holy city of Amritsar when a commission went disastrously wrong. He later enacted an artist's revenge on the temple guardians, who had mistaken his brush for a sacrilegious cigar, in a brilliantly conceived work.In London and elsewhere, Victorian audiences flocked to see his masterly study of the Court of Lahore, which featured over 100 personalities. Critical acclaim propelled him to international fame and further adventures in Mexico, the US and Russia.  

517d4KgpplL._SX417_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm absolutely gobsmacked but the Pakistani government has actually repaired and restored maharaja sher singhs baradhari and samadhi!  i never thought they would actually spend money on restoring sikh history but they actually have!

thumbnail_22_1sss.jpg

Image result for maharaja sher singh baradari

This is what it looked like before they restored it

Related image

Related image

They done a good job, I'm surprised that they bothered with our heritage and history!

27 minutes ago, puzzled said:

I'm absolutely gobsmacked but the Pakistani government has actually repaired and restored maharaja sher singhs baradhari and samadhi!  i never thought they would actually spend money on restoring sikh history but they actually have!

thumbnail_22_1sss.jpg

Image result for maharaja sher singh baradari

This is what it looked like before they restored it

Related image

Related image

They done a good job, I'm surprised that they bothered with our heritage and history!

This will be a big money maker for them. 

a garden and baradhari built by maharaja ranjit singhs father, sardar mahan singh, its called sheranwala bagh and is in gujranwala,  

Image result for gujranwala heritage

19782323359_0c9d4de2a7_b.jpgRelated image

Related imageImage result for gujranwala heritage

The pakistani government recently restored this baradari and garden

this is what it looked like before, have to say it was in a very bad condition but they done a good job

I'm actually surprised that they are acknowledging Lahores sikh past and sikh heritage,   there must be some reason why they repairing these places!  

10 minutes ago, puzzled said:

a garden and baradhari built by maharaja ranjit singhs father, sardar mahan singh, its called sheranwala bagh and is in gujranwala,  

19782323359_0c9d4de2a7_b.jpgRelated image

Related imageImage result for gujranwala heritage

The pakistani government recently restored this baradari and garden

this is what it looked like before, have to say it was in a very bad condition but they done a good job

I'm actually surprised that they are acknowledging Lahores sikh past and sikh heritage,   there must be some reason why they repairing these places!  

Get more of us over there spending money, tourist sights , how much merchandise do you think they will sell.