Double standards with Dastaar

Guest Preet

On 2/9/2019 at 7:05 PM, Guest Preet said:

I’ve recently been thinking a lot about Kesh and our society (Sikh) viewpoint on it. I came to realise that when a man dons the dastaar and trims, wears modern clothing, drinks, smokes, etc, it is regarded as “normal”. 

However, the weight of responsibility to present the best “Sikhi” role model is shoved and expected of females whenever they choose to don a dastaar. There have been many young Sikni Youtubers with Dastaars that have been massively shamed for wearing jeans etc. 

Why the double standards? Why is it that the Sikh community has become so obsessed with constricting our sisters whilst our brothers get to do whatever they want. 

This is deterring our sisters from actually exploring Sikhi. This cut-throat, “do it this way or don’t try at all” approach is turning youth away from Sikhi. Why have we lost patience and seek to encourage rather than put down our own Sikhs? 

In a bid to be fanatics, or to simply be “right”, we are putting off the youth from Sikhi. 

What are your thoughts?

some males can get away with looking like snoop doggy dog. I think everyone is aware of the look. 

loop earing in ear

shaved line in one eyebrow. Or if they are really bad boys then 2 or 3 lines going through. 

ultra tight beani type patka. that does not even resemble a turban. 

shaved beard. also with optional lines going through. To make them look like a real fruit cake. 

And a strange look in their eye as they  bob and shake down the street. Thinking they are next best thing since sliced bread. 

With no clue or knowledge about sikh faith. 

20 minutes ago, Big_Tera said:

some males can get away with looking like snoop doggy dog. I think everyone is aware of the look. 

loop earing in ear

shaved line in one eyebrow. Or if they are really bad boys then 2 or 3 lines going through. 

ultra tight beani type patka. that does not even resemble a turban. 

shaved beard. also with optional lines going through. To make them look like a real fruit cake. 

And a strange look in their eye as they  bob and shake down the street. Thinking they are next best thing since sliced bread. 

With no clue or knowledge about sikh faith. 

i used to look like a Fck boy before i started keeping my kesh  lol!    i used to have skin fade haircut, paki style dhari, helix piercing. i even wanted to get a tattoo on the side of my neck as well, thank waheguru i never got that done !!     at one point i had a slit in my hair as well hahah!      

i look back at those photos and think why the hell did i make myself look like that lol  but then again i was a different person

waheguru had kirpa on me and showed me the right way 

27 minutes ago, puzzled said:

i used to look like a Fck boy before i started keeping my kesh  lol!    i used to have skin fade haircut, paki style dhari, helix piercing. i even wanted to get a tattoo on the side of my neck as well, thank waheguru i never got that done !!     at one point i had a slit in my hair as well hahah!      

i look back at those photos and think why the hell did i make myself look like that lol  but then again i was a different person

waheguru had kirpa on me and showed me the right way 

Well at least you woke up. So many of our type still dress like bad boys. It is difficult because at the age of 14 - 19 many people are still discovering who they are. Due to being uncertain of who they are they latch onto rap culture and dress sence to form and identity. 

Its only when you become a real man do you no longer latch onto anything of anyone else. You then finally find yourself and who you really are. 

1 hour ago, Big_Tera said:

Well at least you woke up. So many of our type still dress like bad boys. It is difficult because at the age of 14 - 19 many people are still discovering who they are. Due to being uncertain of who they are they latch onto rap culture and dress sence to form and identity. 

Its only when you become a real man do you no longer latch onto anything of anyone else. You then finally find yourself and who you really are. 

i believe waheguru woke me up like he wakes everyone else up,  sometimes i look at the past 2 or 3 years of me getting into sikhi and think when and how did all this happen lol!    because it just happened like that!