Were your ancestors farmers?

Sikhi4Ever

Were your ancestors farmers?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Were your ancestors farmers?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, Unknownlost said:

Bro you are right true anyone can do farming lol.

No i am not a ravidasia but i find them interesting due to their weird thinking traditions lol.

Lol yeah  In India sainis do farming too, some tarkhan families do it as well. In my mum's pind some chamars families have fields as well. 

Yeah I like ravidassias too  they are a interesting bunch lol 

3 minutes ago, Unknownlost said:

Yeah you right its just a part of history lol

Lol yeah it is a part of history for me now because I'm not a farmer and I'm pretty sure my kids won't be farmer's either lol,  but it's still  a part of my heritage, it's what my ancestors did and what they were 

4 minutes ago, Unknownlost said:

Ravidassias are a interesting group you should listen to their views on kanshi tv. 

Nowdays its sad cos some many farmers are doing suicide and plus the water has been taken away by the goverment i heard. So farming is finished in punjab big time.

Yeah it is really sad. A lot of farmers are suffering now. The fact the government takes water away doesn't help either. Suicide rate is very high as they are taking loans but can't pay them back. And then the loan collectors start harassing the wives and kids. 

Iv seen the state of farmers there, it's very sad. No wonder they are desperately trying to send their sons abroad.

4 hours ago, Unknownlost said:

some many farmers are doing suicide and plus the water has been taken away by the goverment i heard. So farming is finished in punjab big time.

Unless Panjab modernises its economy, it's finished anyway. 

Farming isn't finished there btw. It's probably going to be a situation where a smaller group of large landholders will dominate/monopolise the industry. The rest will have to get over this often strange and unhealthy farming fetish and join the wider workforce. 

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh
On 2/10/2019 at 11:03 PM, dallysingh101 said:

Unless Panjab modernises its economy, it's finished anyway. 

Farming isn't finished there btw. It's probably going to be a situation where a smaller group of large landholders will dominate/monopolise the industry. The rest will have to get over this often strange and unhealthy farming fetish and join the wider workforce. 

Very true what you say about the future of farming. Absolutely spot on. (although a month or two I did start a thread about banana farming (diversification) in Punjab but a very strange Mod refused to post it)

Nobody in Punjab has a "fetish" for farming though. No Punjabis outside of Punjab either. What they do have however - and this is common throughout the globe - is a love of the rural lifestyle. Appreciating the healthy clean air, green landscape and fresh food of the rural areas compared with the absolute filth of urban areas is not the same as having a fetish for farming.

Going back to the crux of the thread though.....my family don't farm anymore but we're still technically 'farmers' because we own the farm and built our farm-house away from the village in the middle of our farm. Got a nice modern house in the village too but let a garib family live there rent-free (for selfish reasons as much as altruistic because if someone wasn't there the thieves would have stripped it of everything including the taps and the washers from the taps by now)

Iv sat on the back of a cart with a ox pulling it, milked a cow, fed the cows, ate ghana/sugar cane in the fields, fell into cow dung, got mud all over myself while my thia was doing the rice fields lol.  

I even rode a ricksha lolw LMAO  

Never gnna forget those experiences in the pind... 

yeah done all that too :)  Long time ago, after my degree, I spent nearly a year on the farm. Cut the sugar cane in the morning, turned it into ras and gurh in the afternoon and then, after a little sleep, during the night darkness, turned the ras into desi daru.

Guest Maanas ki Jaath Sab1

100% of the human population regardless of white, black, Chinese or Indian have ancestors who were farmers!

Jat, Saini, Kamboh, Labana, MahtamRai are all tribes recognised as "agricultural" in Punjab 

Similarly a lot of even (Sikh) Rajputs, Gujjars, Tharkhans, Chamars, Brahmins and Khatri's have smallholdings in Punjab.

Especially when 40% of Sikhs in Punjab are from the Jat tribe which is about 21% of the east Punjab population.

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh
4 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Sainis are farmer's too  in fact where my family are from jatts and sainis get married to each other, lubanas are basically the same thing as well    no difference 

Sainis are an interesting case and give us a lot of information about farming in Punjab. They make a up a fairly decent proportion of farmers in Doaba as a whole but are particularly strong in the Hoshiarpur district, which is their farming heartland. Also make up a decent proportion of Sikh farmers in northern California but this is not surprising when one looks at how the jatt Bains clans from Hoshiarpur  were easily one of the foremost and most powerfull of Californian farming clans. The British classified them as potato and vegetable farmers. In the northern part of Hoshiarpur they make a significant majority of farmers and that is interesting when one looks at the soil in that area.  The soil in that part of Hoshiarpur is of the poorest quality in the whole of Punjab. Really not suitable for anything other than growing potatos and onions etc. Intreestingly, Rudyard Kipling in his novel 'Kim' had a Saini character in the book who was a small time vegetable grower from Hoshiarpur.

On 2/13/2019 at 2:01 PM, Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh said:

Going back to the crux of the thread though.....my family don't farm anymore but we're still technically 'farmers' because we own the farm and built our farm-house away from the village in the middle of our farm. Got a nice modern house in the village too but let a garib family live there rent-free (for selfish reasons as much as altruistic because if someone wasn't there the thieves would have stripped it of everything including the taps and the washers from the taps by now)

That's cobblers. By that logic my family are farmers too (which they are NOT!) because they own land in Panjab and rent it out to farmers (or presumably farm some of it themselves when they are bored?). 

One thing I've never heard though,  is the constant whining and pity parties that I hear from juts about the industry. That's some sort of cultural thing probably harking back centuries - pleading poverty so that the sarkar doesn't squeeze too much revenue from you. It had a logic and purpose back in the past - now it's just backwards. 

I get that some landholdings have dwindled down and make farming unprofitable for smallholders but complaining about that is like lohars and carpenters or julavas complaining about the industrial revolution (that took large swathes of their traditional income from them through the mechanised mass production of furniture, tools, clothes etc.). These people didn't keep complaining, they adapted and survived. 

I'm shocked at the lack of creativity of rural farmers. I think most seem to have developed a very dependent relationship with the government through subsidies and grants and can't think outside of it? 

• The topic was locked