Were your ancestors farmers?

Sikhi4Ever

Were your ancestors farmers?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Were your ancestors farmers?

• Yes
    • No

On 2/13/2019 at 2:01 PM, Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh said:

Nobody in Punjab has a "fetish" for farming though. No Punjabis outside of Punjab either. What they do have however - and this is common throughout the globe - is a love of the rural lifestyle. Appreciating the healthy clean air, green landscape and fresh food of the rural areas compared with the absolute filth of urban areas is not the same as having a fetish for farming.

Going back to the crux of the thread though.....my family don't farm anymore but we're still technically 'farmers' because we own the farm and built our farm-house away from the village in the middle of our farm. Got a nice modern house in the village too but let a garib family live there rent-free (for selfish reasons as much as altruistic because if someone wasn't there the thieves would have stripped it of everything including the taps and the washers from the taps by now)

yeah done all that too :)  Long time ago, after my degree, I spent nearly a year on the farm. Cut the sugar cane in the morning, turned it into ras and gurh in the afternoon and then, after a little sleep, during the night darkness, turned the ras into desi daru.

We actually have a house in Shrind. Its in the middle of sprawling Keth fields that go on for miles on end. Only a few houses dotted around here and there. And there is a beautiful well with a small pool nearby. Where as kids we would jump in  and take a dip in the heat of the sun. Great memories of my childhood IN Punjab. All you can hear is the noise of the keth and scenery of greenery. not sure what it was grasshoppers or crickets that make that sound.  

Places in the pindh such as these are absolute paradise. 

We would have to take a rikshaw to the nearest shopping bazaar. which was 1- 2 miles away. 

In Punjabi songs jatt just means Punjabi. It's now become another word for Punjabi. I think you older folks need to chill out a bit when it comes to castes LMAO.  

Iv been to tharkhan and chamars weddings where they all been dancing to songs with the word jatt or jatti mentioned in it.

In media jatt is synonymous with Punjabi. It's just a common Punjabi word which is catchy and is randomly thrown into songs just like the word gabruu is.  You need to realize songs are for entertainment    no one takes them literally lol     just look how different Bollywood is to real life indian society,  or the wealth shown in black music is a contrast to the poverty in the black American community.    It's just entertainment lol   everyone knows that 

Like a poster above said In real life jatts are farmer's and work hard in the fields all day under the sun, wearing chapals with soil all over their feet hands and clothes. This is common knowledge! When I go India and get soil and cow poo all over me everyone laughingly says to me that I now look like a real jatt lol    iv had chamars say that to me as well

You guys need to catch up and realize media is entertainment and not a representation of reality, it's like that everywhere in the world. Perhaps it was different in the older days lol 

1 hour ago, Sikhi4Ever said:

My point is that it is not healthy and borderline holding hatred within if someone for years continuously targeting one type of community against the ills of the society or maybe that one clan sure does things wrong and so do others.

Maybe you are expecting a lot from your surroundings. It is kalyug, that is what it is.

17 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

A lot of this "jatt" stuff portrayed is promoted by non Jatts as well.

I am from this background and I personally find these portrayals  cringe worthy. 

Diljit Dosanjh though from a Jatt background is hardly a representative, he is part of the entertainment industry, he might as well be a mirasi in my eyes.

In the old days for a Jatt to be in the entertainment industry would make you like a kanj*r.

This modern day portrayal of Jatts is like a Disney Theme Park version of a Jatt.

Jutts should do a lot more to try and counter this stuff amongst themselves - for all our sakes - not least yourselves!

We all know most ahhm juts usually don't think anyone one else's opinion is worth a toss, so it isn't worth anyone else telling them. Those of you who are progressive and not backwards need to work on your own subcommunity a lot more. A lot is at stake. You can't just let this rot slide unchecked. That is going to be catastrophic in the long term.  

4 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Have to say it though but the only people that keep on going on about jatts on this forum are the non-jatts lol

If the type of jut stupidity being discussed only affected juts, no one would give a toss. But that ridiculously clownish 'Balle Balle' image being projected has now become synonymous with Sikhs in general. 

It seems that left to themselves, juts would turn a blind eye to all of their fellow people's kartootan through some twisted notion of caste loyalty. Well, someone has to show them the mirror. Maybe if I came from this background, I wouldn't want to face the truth myself? 

All this stuff makes us look like a comical quom. 

And I know a lot of you can see this too. Don't just ignore it or play it down. Confront it.  

• The topic was locked