British Sikh woman’s honour killing story hits UK TV screens

Premi5

https://www.easterneye.biz/-16/

(*On Sky channel 142 on Thirsday this week)

A high-profile honour killing case of a British Sikh woman who was taken to India by her UK-based family and then killed in Punjab over 20 years ago is set to be revived as a television documentary this week.

Surjit Kaur Athwal was perceived as bringing shame on her conservative Sikh in-laws from west London and taken to Punjab in December 1998 on the pretext of attending family weddings, where she was killed.

The 27-year-old’s mother-in-law Bachan Athwal and husband Sukhdave Athwal were sentenced to prison terms of 15 years and 20 years, respectively, for their role in her murder in 2007.

For how long are they gnna keep on rattling on about this story?

That woman sarbjit atwal is just trying to milk out some more cash with this story, she even wrote a book about it.

Sarbjit is a Christian now.

Just feeding the white media and audience with this whole honour trash and making £££

17 minutes ago, puzzled said:

That woman sarbjit atwal is just trying to milk out some more cash with this story, she even wrote a book about it.

Just feeding the white media and audience with this whole honour trash and making £££

crimes

how can a dead person milk anything , more iike  the powers that be want to lump us all in the club with musley and hindus who do this <banned word filter activated> on a regular basis to bring us down a few pegs in public eyes as we are still:

fighting for satkar of Guru ji

Fighting for release of files on 1984 and related trade deals

fighting for Jaggi to be released (even the wife of the other gora who was put in Jail in India speak up)

wanting the census of our presence here in the country

highlighting the utter lack of true anti-sikh hate crimes , this should include the grooming cases

1 hour ago, puzzled said:

I read that book. I thought it was eye opening about how crusty conservative matriarchal 'religious' families operate behind closed doors. 

How do you know Sarbjit converted to Christianity? In the book, she seemed strong in her faith? 

2 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

how can a dead person milk anything , more iike  the powers that be want to lump us all in the club with musley and hindus who do this <banned word filter activated> on a regular basis to bring us down a few pegs in public eyes as we are still:

fighting for satkar of Guru ji

Fighting for release of files on 1984 and related trade deals

fighting for Jaggi to be released (even the wife of the other gora who was put in Jail in India speak up)

wanting the census of our presence here in the country

highlighting the utter lack of true anti-sikh hate crimes , this should include the grooming cases

Sarbjit is the other daughter in law she the one who wrote the book,  surjit is the one who got killed. 

1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

I read that book. I thought it was eye opening about how crusty conservative matriarchal 'religious' families operate behind closed doors. 

How do you know Sarbjit converted to Christianity? In the book, she seemed strong in her faith? 

I read a article about her it had her interview,  she still wears a kara but has converted to Christianity a few years back. 

3 minutes ago, puzzled said:

I read a article about her it had her interview,  she still wears a kara but has converted to Christianity a few years back. 

That's a shame to hear. Because she did seem quite firm in her faith in her book. But then maybe we shouldn't be too surprised, she details how many powerful pardaans and other sangat at her local Gurdwara turned on her and tried to make her drop the case against her m-i-l and b-i-l. And if the book is truthful, she appears to have been one simpleton, pendu, polhee palhee jutti.

I tell you, those 2 Athwal brothers seemed like the biggest giddarh momma's boys too. Guys should learn from this. If you've got one of those excessively dominating, overbearing moms who likes to 'rhobe maar' all the time (especially on newly arrived daughter in laws), be man enough to put them in their place when required. 

Another thing I realised is just how obsessed with appearances the crusty conservative set is. It's like THE most important thing to them to weird levels. Personally I think being that concerned about how relative strangers perceive you is a serious weakness - if not a mental health issue.  

I met the murdered girl's brother (Jagdeesh) in passing back in uni days. He used to give speeches on the Sikh set (although I had no idea this was going on then). I'm surprised he never went over to his brother in laws house and stomped his head in when he realised that his sister had been murdered myself, but hey...?? I guess the legal route was better. 

People should also realise that given persistent Sikh activism on grooming (and calling out British hypocrisy in 84) and the way they are highlighting how the establishment itself seems to have colluded with groomers, they are going to try and throw every little bit of mud on us that they can, in some sort of weak-a55ed notion of retaliation. So expect these things - but also let's learn to use them as positives to learn from and improve our community instead of burying things in the sand like whitey and sullay do - we're better than that.