Upar Wala

Redoptics

1 minute ago, BhForce said:

The words a certain person (you?) may have grown up with may be the same or different than the words used in Gurbani.

There is nothing wrong in using Gurbani-approved metaphors or words, including Allah, Khuda, Gusain, Swami, Takhur, Parvadgaar, Beethal, mountain, and even the dreaded uppar-vala.

The word "uppar-vala" literally means "the one who is above" which is what the line from Gurbani I quoted references. The Guru is above us.

bro the question was about in general talking on a day to day basis not necessarily the gurbani names of which there are so many . I have NEVER heard any parcharak, kathavachak using uparvala and they deal with ordinary folks as part of their work.

25 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

bro the question was about in general talking on a day to day basis not necessarily the gurbani names of which there are so many . I have NEVER heard any parcharak, kathavachak using uparvala and they deal with ordinary folks as part of their work.

The question was literally this:

11 hours ago, Redoptics said:

Anybody heard other Sikhs or family members  refer to Weheguru as 'Upar Wala' ? 

The answer is, I would have to say, "Yes". People do use the term Upar Wala.

The next question is: Is there anything wrong with that word.

It's quite difficult for me to condemn someone using the term Uppar Wala, because the term has Gurbani backing.

Whether any specific parcharak may have every used the term, I don't know. But now that the question has been asked, I'm sure I will notice it when someone does.

Most Punjabis use the word Rabb for God.

I'm sure I've heard that term as a child but I don't think it has Sikh provenance. The concept of Waheguru being all pervasive or omnipresent seems to exclude this. Then this makes me think about Sachkhand as mentioned in Japji Sahib. Sachkhand can't be an actual physical place where Waheguru resides (because of the omnipresence thing) - it must mean something else.  

On 2/13/2019 at 10:40 AM, dallysingh101 said:

I'm sure I've heard that term as a child but I don't think it has Sikh provenance. The concept of Waheguru being all pervasive or omnipresent seems to exclude this. Then this makes me think about Sachkhand as mentioned in Japji Sahib. Sachkhand can't be an actual physical place where Waheguru resides (because of the omnipresence thing) - it must mean something else.  

Actually Waheguru is in Sach Khand and it is a physical place (not material) but physical in the sense that we are able to reside there if we follow Guru Sahib and imbue ourselves with Naam and Bani.

Watch this video and also read Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh ji's book called Sach Khand Darshan, he explains in detail that the Khands are physical realms.

On 2/13/2019 at 10:40 AM, dallysingh101 said:

because of the omnipresence thing

Just like how the sun's rays hit Earth even though it is 93 million miles away, Waheguru ji's light pervades and permeates all creation. That's how he is every present (there's more in the video near the end but watch all of it).

Forgive me for any mistakes

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਿਹ

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 11:28 PM, Redoptics said:

Anybody heard other Sikhs or family members  refer to Weheguru as 'Upar Wala' ? 

Hearing is one thing, and better than that, or the best is, what Guru Sahiban tells us through the Bani.

To your question about above or "oopar". 

Sree Guru Arjun Dev Maharaj tells us:   

ਜਿਸ ਕੇ ਸਿਰ ਊਪਰਿ ਤੂੰ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਸੋ ਦੁਖੁ ਕੈਸਾ ਪਾਵੈ ॥   J

Jis Kae Sir Oopar Thoon Suaamee So Dhukh Kaisaa Paavai || 

On the heads of those  You stand over O Lord and Master, how can they suffer ?

So you see, over or above, is correct in the sense that when we think  or meditate, it is in the upper part of our body, in our heads, where our  focus or attention works.

So when we meditate or pray to Wahiguru, it is within our mind, in the uuper portion of our body, in that sense, Wahiguru is oopar/above/over/our heads.

So let us not be so petty and say because other faiths or communities use to describe Him as oopar wala, we should not.

Enough of hatred and discrimination!

Moreover by doing so we are trying to confine the limitless within the 4 walls of our petty mind.

Going a step still further  into highness above,  Dhan Sree Guru Arjun Dev Naharaj tells us: 

ਊਚੇ ਤੇ ਊਚਾ ਭਗਵੰਤ ॥

Oochae Thae Oochaa Bhagavanth ||

O Highest of the High, Most Generous God,

No matter if hindus or  any other faiths refer to their deites as  oopar wala,  even then, our beloved  Wahiguru Akal Purukh in the words of Guru Jee is the highest, means above all others.

Let us not fight or make fuss, out of nothing so irrelevant, so what, if we call Him oopar wala?  

He is not only oopar wala(upper One), but He is the  only Highest also.

Stay blessed.

Sat Sree Akal.

21 hours ago, harsharan000 said:

Hearing is one thing, and better than that, or the best is, what Guru Sahiban tells us through the Bani.

To your question about above or "oopar". 

Sree Guru Arjun Dev Maharaj tells us:   

ਜਿਸ ਕੇ ਸਿਰ ਊਪਰਿ ਤੂੰ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਸੋ ਦੁਖੁ ਕੈਸਾ ਪਾਵੈ ॥   J

Jis Kae Sir Oopar Thoon Suaamee So Dhukh Kaisaa Paavai || 

On the heads of those  You stand over O Lord and Master, how can they suffer ?

So you see, over or above, is correct in the sense that when we think  or meditate, it is in the upper part of our body, in our heads, where our  focus or attention works.

So when we meditate or pray to Wahiguru, it is within our mind, in the uuper portion of our body, in that sense, Wahiguru is oopar/above/over/our heads.

So let us not be so petty and say because other faiths or communities use to describe Him as oopar wala, we should not.

Enough of hatred and discrimination!

Moreover by doing so we are trying to confine the limitless within the 4 walls of our petty mind.

Going a step still further  into highness above,  Dhan Sree Guru Arjun Dev Naharaj tells us: 

ਊਚੇ ਤੇ ਊਚਾ ਭਗਵੰਤ ॥

Oochae Thae Oochaa Bhagavanth ||

O Highest of the High, Most Generous God,

No matter if hindus or  any other faiths refer to their deites as  oopar wala,  even then, our beloved  Wahiguru Akal Purukh in the words of Guru Jee is the highest, means above all others.

Let us not fight or make fuss, out of nothing so irrelevant, so what, if we call Him oopar wala?  

He is not only oopar wala(upper One), but He is the  only Highest also.

Stay blessed.

Sat Sree Akal.

It was a question, I wasn't fussing or fighting, if I am no longer allowed to question things anymore,  so be it.

Just now, Redoptics said:

It was a question, I wasn't fussing or fighting, if I am no longer allowed to question things anymore,  so be it.

Hey  Redoptics bro, chill down.

I never referred you creating fuss or fighting.

You just asked a simple question.

That is it.

There were so many other posters answering also, and in some of their posts I sensed out that hatred and discrimination, that is why after answering you, I requested to not be so petty minded.

You are free to ask as many questions as you want bro, there are no restrictions from anyone and  least from me.

Stay blessed.

Sat Sree Akal