Embracing death

Redoptics

As far as I understand, no calculations can be made by anyone in the sense of breaking  or loosening any relations  or call it attachments.

But yes, by His grace there is one option left for us. 

And that is, only when we do His bhakti/devotion, we get that  much attached and absorbed in Him, that then only He matters.

No worldy detachment can be possible, without attaching ourselves   first  to His Lotus Feet.

Then it is done all sehaj, effortless.

Until then we really start loving Him, it can be all intelectual discussions only.

Ekas(He Wahiguru Akal Purukh) bin sabh dandh hae.

Stay blessed.

Sat Sree Akal.

13 hours ago, Redoptics said:

How as Sikhs do we actually do it? Do we just make sure we break attachments to everyone? Still love them but understand everything around us going to die?

And has anyone on here accomplished this?

For me, Not taking any medications to live longer even when we are near our age to depart, is also a part of embracing death. 

22 hours ago, Redoptics said:

How as Sikhs do we actually do it? Do we just make sure we break attachments to everyone? Still love them but understand everything around us going to die?

As humans it is near to impossible to break attachments with other people because if someone gives us happiness then we become attached to that person. When my nani passed away I was really upset (obviously) but then I realised that crying is not going to help her. So I did Bani for her. However, I only had one wish to go to her funeral since I never got to say goodbye or even see her before she passed away. But when I went to her funeral I was so glad and from that time since, I feel peaceful and my heart is at rest that now she is with Maharaj. Where we come from we have to go back. Now I live to make her proud of me and no matter what, she is still alive in my heart. 

This is the game of life and death. One day it will be our turn and so its best we don't waste our time hurting other people, slandering, gossiping and doing the wrong things because life is really too short to be wasted on stupid petty things.

I'm sorry for all this Veerji hopefully I answered your question.

This Shabad by Bhagat Trilochan ji tells us what we think of before we pass away means a lot. As Gursikhs we should remember Akaal Purakh as much as we can:

ਗੂਜਰੀ ॥
Goojaree:

ਅੰਤਿ ਕਾਲਿ ਜੋ ਲਛਮੀ ਸਿਮਰੈ ਐਸੀ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਮਹਿ ਜੇ ਮਰੈ ॥
At the very last moment, one who thinks of wealth, and dies in such thoughts,

ਸਰਪ ਜੋਨਿ ਵਲਿ ਵਲਿ ਅਉਤਰੈ ॥੧॥
shall be reincarnated over and over again, in the form of serpents. ||1||

ਅਰੀ ਬਾਈ ਗੋਬਿਦ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਤਿ ਬੀਸਰੈ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
O sister, do not forget the Name of the Lord of the Universe. ||Pause||

ਅੰਤਿ ਕਾਲਿ ਜੋ ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ ਸਿਮਰੈ ਐਸੀ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਮਹਿ ਜੇ ਮਰੈ ॥
At the very last moment, he who thinks of women, and dies in such thoughts,

ਬੇਸਵਾ ਜੋਨਿ ਵਲਿ ਵਲਿ ਅਉਤਰੈ ॥੨॥
shall be reincarnated over and over again as a prostitute. ||2||

ਅੰਤਿ ਕਾਲਿ ਜੋ ਲੜਿਕੇ ਸਿਮਰੈ ਐਸੀ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਮਹਿ ਜੇ ਮਰੈ ॥
At the very last moment, one who thinks of his children, and dies in such thoughts,

ਸੂਕਰ ਜੋਨਿ ਵਲਿ ਵਲਿ ਅਉਤਰੈ ॥੩॥
shall be reincarnated over and over again as a pig. ||3||

ਅੰਤਿ ਕਾਲਿ ਜੋ ਮੰਦਰ ਸਿਮਰੈ ਐਸੀ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਮਹਿ ਜੇ ਮਰੈ ॥
At the very last moment, one who thinks of mansions, and dies in such thoughts,

ਪ੍ਰੇਤ ਜੋਨਿ ਵਲਿ ਵਲਿ ਅਉਤਰੈ ॥੪॥
shall be reincarnated over and over again as a goblin. ||4||

ਅੰਤਿ ਕਾਲਿ ਨਾਰਾਇਣੁ ਸਿਮਰੈ ਐਸੀ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਮਹਿ ਜੇ ਮਰੈ ॥
At the very last moment, one who thinks of the Lord, and dies in such thoughts,

ਬਦਤਿ ਤਿਲੋਚਨੁ ਤੇ ਨਰ ਮੁਕਤਾ ਪੀਤੰਬਰੁ ਵਾ ਕੇ ਰਿਦੈ ਬਸੈ ॥੫॥੨॥
says Trilochan, that man shall be liberated; the Lord shall abide in his heart. ||5||2||

On 2/21/2019 at 8:17 PM, Redoptics said:

I think this often happens sort of automatically as we get older - for some of us anyway.

Having near death experiences yourself and witnessing the deaths of people close to you brings home the issue of our mortality to the fore. When a death happens suddenly and unexpectedly, we are shocked - and for some period of time our mind is in a spin, but in time, this disorientation attenuates. 

The confusion and crazy emotional rollercoaster I was on when a pal of mine died, has died down now. I don't think you ever get over it completely, but you get to a much better place than where you find yourself initially. 

I still miss him, and little things will bring him to mind. Like the nice weather when we'd be out and about. Miss the phone calls. Talking to him about shyte that I couldn't talk about to no one else (like family issues). His jokey personality - the way he made me laugh. The stimulating conversations we had. 

Someone told me years ago, that over time we remember things more ideally. I think this is a defence mechanism. I mean my pal wasn't an angel and we had some issues between us at times too. 

Accepting our (and others) mortality is a big part of growing up.