Anyone doing gardening this year?

dallysingh101

Love this time of year. Going to get my gardening on. Just cleaned up the beds. 

Anyone else planning on growing this year? What you gonna grow? 

And for certain people - please don't turn this into another opportunity to start promoting your jaat-paat buckwaas. You don't have to be from any particular type of background to enjoy this. 

I don't do gardening apart from planting a sun flower seed every year lol   

But my mum plants a lot of things like coriander, spinach, tomatoes, pumpkins, mint, mircha and other green stuff.

one year I buyed 2 venus fly traps that lasted a couple of months through the summer but died when it started getting cold. They would gobble so many flies and bees and other insects HAHA!

• 3 weeks later...

Working in the garden and general landscaping instead of planting flowers and stuff. Getting rid of old wooden fence panels, and putting up new panels. Might need to get rid of an old shed and replace the lawn, too. I'll be doing it myself because I want to see what I'm capable of, and I'm kanjoos, lol, joking.

On 3/18/2019 at 10:02 AM, MisterrSingh said:

Working in the garden and general landscaping instead of planting flowers and stuff. Getting rid of old wooden fence panels, and putting up new panels. Might need to get rid of an old shed and replace the lawn, too. I'll be doing it myself because I want to see what I'm capable of, and I'm kanjoos, lol, joking.

I miss the times when my garden was a wild, untamed jungle. Now there isn't that much work to do. But I have upped my game with remineralising the soil with composting. 

Never really grown flowers other than very few, and that just to attract bumble bees and lady birds.

It's good to be 'conduce' like you're mentioning. lol Otherwise you just get someone else to do these things and not learn ish yourself. 

There is nothing better than being outside on a summer's day, enjoying the garden. Nothing! I hope my food grows well this year, been tweaking my compost. Even got a worm farm going on.......sad......I know......lol....but that gundh-ganola tutti is meant to be super powerful plant food! And costs a packet if you but it from stores/online. 

Make sure you get a compost bin if you haven't already. 

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:09 PM, dallysingh101 said:

Love this time of year. Going to get my gardening on. Just cleaned up the beds. 

Anyone else planning on growing this year? What you gonna grow? 

And for certain people - please don't turn this into another opportunity to start promoting your jaat-paat buckwaas. You don't have to be from any particular type of background to enjoy this. 

several bonsai shallow planted in pots, in the greenhouse outside that I built, then got around 20 other trees and shrubs in there, bare root, and some other miscellaneous things like ficus, apple trees, pear trees and catnip, in there too. Then, have some seedlings, I am growing maple,with some other acers, mountain maples, and other things like beech, and some allround greens for good measure. thinking of putting them outside nowm because it is getting warmer, but my greenhouse has a window. 

54 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

I miss the times when my garden was a wild, untamed jungle. Now there isn't that much work to do. But I have upped my game with remineralising the soil with composting. 

It's definitely not a jungle, lol. It just needs some new bits and pieces, and a visual overhaul. I'm bored of the fading fence panels and the old shed. The lawn's always been well maintained even by mum when I was out of action for a few years when she was still a little sprightly, but I want to rip it up, get some good quality soil down, and lay down some fresh grass. I was thinking of going for a uPVC shed instead of a wooden job. 

Guest GuestSingh

anyone tried growing wheat, lentils/beans or rice? what about certain fruit and veg. that are already familiar to our folk?

daal roti is my main meal everyday but would be nice to grow the stuff myself and save on travel i.e. fuel and plastic packaging too inc. milk tho we cant get desi cows in the uk let alone in the back garden...

any experience or tips/advice? recommendations?

6 hours ago, GuestSingh said:

anyone tried growing wheat, lentils/beans or rice? what about certain fruit and veg. that are already familiar to our folk?

daal roti is my main meal everyday but would be nice to grow the stuff myself and save on travel i.e. fuel and plastic packaging too inc. milk tho we cant get desi cows in the uk let alone in the back garden...

any experience or tips/advice? recommendations?

A lot of the traditional stuff is unsuited to UK weather.

I've scaled down the varieties of what I grow now. When I first started, I wanted to try every thing (like 5/6 types of chillies alone). Now I just stick to a small number of items. 

Perpetual spinach and Swiss Chard are great - robust and require minimal effort. Good for saag or palak paneer, chicken paneer or whatever. 

Broccoli can be tough to grow. Everything wants to eat it! Slugs, snails, bugs, pigeons. You have to cover it up. 

Tomatoes are real easy - just remember stick two cups of milk powder in ground just before you plant the young plants (stops a common calcium deficiency problem called blossom end rot). 

Chillis are good for big pots - I've tried loads of varieties in the past but just stick to cayennes now. It's more economical. Growing can be a lot more expensive than buying from shops - so pick your crops carefully. But go through the process of learning to try everything because it's a great learning experience. Tried Bell peppers, garlic, peas, runner beans, french beans in the past with varying success..... 

Runner beans are great but attract these black fly pests. 

Get a compost bin going on if you can. What you make there is like 5x more powerful than the soil you buy in bags. 

Guest GuestSingh
On 3/18/2019 at 8:16 PM, dallysingh101 said:

A lot of the traditional stuff is unsuited to UK weather.

I've scaled down the varieties of what I grow now. When I first started, I wanted to try every thing (like 5/6 types of chillies alone). Now I just stick to a small number of items. 

Perpetual spinach and Swiss Chard are great - robust and require minimal effort. Good for saag or palak paneer, chicken paneer or whatever. 

Broccoli can be tough to grow. Everything wants to eat it! Slugs, snails, bugs, pigeons. You have to cover it up. 

Tomatoes are real easy - just remember stick two cups of milk powder in ground just before you plant the young plants (stops a common calcium deficiency problem called blossom end rot). 

Chillis are good for big pots - I've tried loads of varieties in the past but just stick to cayennes now. It's more economical. Growing can be a lot more expensive than buying from shops - so pick your crops carefully. But go through the process of learning to try everything because it's a great learning experience. Tried Bell peppers, garlic, peas, runner beans, french beans in the past with varying success..... 

Runner beans are great but attract these black fly pests. 

Get a compost bin going on if you can. What you make there is like 5x more powerful than the soil you buy in bags. 

thanks bro thats very useful info.

re: weather thought it would be the case - only looking to grow the basics but will deffo look into this more soon...

my nanke used to grow all sorts back in the day like potatoes, turnip, even rhubarb and some other stuff that escapes my memory so at least those are possible...

1 hour ago, GuestSingh said:

thanks bro thats very useful info.

re: weather thought it would be the case - only looking to grow the basics but will deffo look into this more soon...

my nanke used to grow all sorts back in the day like potatoes, turnip, even rhubarb and some other stuff that escapes my memory so at least those are possible...

Bro, I should've mentioned, I've been doing low-carb diet for a bit now. It just agrees with me and keeps me lean. That obviously dictates what I grow. There are a whole host of other things (like you mentioned) that you could grow that I don't. I don't do any root veg for example which seem pretty easy. 

Get yourself some massive pots (or a bin) for the potatoes. 

I put a small raised bed in a year or so ago that I haven't used (apart from as a compost dump), see what I can do with that this year.